Boro’ edged out of seven-goal thriller

By Erick Jupp

Boro’s poor run of form continued as they were defeated 4-3 in a close match up against Metropolitan Police.

Met Police started the game by being the brighter side going forward and nearly had a goal in the 8th minute, after a corner put into the box was headed goalwards, but it was deflected over the bar by a Boro’ defender.

Boro’ had a half-chance two minutes later, when a long throw in was flicked on by CJ Fearn, but he couldn’t get that much power on his header to trouble Thomas Williams in the Met Police goal.

In the 18th minute, Met Police found themselves with 10 men. After some build up play by Boro’, the ball eventually found Pat Cox on the edge of the box, who touched it into the Met Police box, but was brought down by former Boro player Luke Robertson, with the Referee producing a straight red card to send Robertson off.

Both teams were struggling to get their clear cut chance but Boro’ came really close in the 27th minute, when Reggie Young’s great wing play opened up the Met Police defence and found Michael Fernandes in the box, but his effort was just over the bar.

In the 33rd minute, Met Police took the lead. After putting on the pressure with a series of corners, their persistence finally payed off when Mehkail McLaughlin’s towering header found the back of the Boro’ net. Metropolitian Police 1-0 Farnborough.

Met Police nearly had a second eight minutes later when another corner put into the Boro’ box caused a scramble, with Sam Mason making some saves in the process, but Boro’ was able to clear the ball away eventually.

HALF TIME: Metropolitian Police 1-0 Farnborough

Boro’ came into the second half looking to bounce back and they did just that. A great delivery put into the box from a corner was met by Ugo Udoji, who headed the ball into the back of the net to bring Boro’ back level. Metropolitian Police 1-1 Farnborough.

A minute later, Boro’ took the lead. Andrew Musungu got played through on goal and slotted it past Williams, with the ball coming off the post and in. Metropolitian Police 1-2 Farnborough.

In the 53rd minute, Mason was called into action for Boro’ and he produced a wonderful one handed save to deny Met Police from drawing back level.

A minute later, however, Met Police got their equaliser. After some good play, Max Blackmore was found in the Boro’ box and he finished it past Mason. Metropolitian Police 2-2 Farnborough.

Met Police re-gained the lead two minutes later when Blackmore was played through on goal and he beat Mason with a calm finish to put the home side back ahead. Metropolitian Police 3-2 Farnborough.

Boro’ also had a chance to quickly respond in the 59th minute when Fernandes had an opportunity in the box to score, but he was denied by Williams.

Another chance fell to Boro’ in the 63rd minute when Kurtis Cumberbatch had a shot in the box saved by Williams, but the follow-up nearly fell to Cox from close range, but he was off-balance and just missed the ball.

Met Police’s Jack Mazzone rattled the crossbar in the 69th minute with an effort from the edge of the box, which could have extended their advantage.

A minute later, Boro’ brought on Connor Cullen for Cumberbatch and he had an instant impact with his first touch. A low cross into the Met Police box caused a scramble with the ball eventually falling to Cullen, who smashed it home to bring the score back level. Metropolitian Police 3-3 Farnborough.

However, Met Police managed to reply with a quick goal from substitute John Gilbert, who tucked it past Mason with a neat finish. Metropolitian Police 4-3 Farnborough.

Boro’ had a chance in the 83rd minute after a good move, Cullen made some space for himself on the edge of the box, he drove into the box and had a shot, but his effort was just over the bar.

Boro’ had one last chance in stoppage time, when a free kick near the corner flag was whipped into the box, and the ball came off a Boro’ head and the ball clipped the crossbar, and Met Police saw out the final seconds of the game to hold on to victory.

FULL TIME: Metropolitian Police 4-3 Farnborough

Keep up to date with your Club on social media: