Battling Boro’ go out on Penalties

By Erick Jupp

After a long battle with Lewes in the replay tie yesterday night away from home, Farnborough’s hopes of advancing to the next round of the FA Cup were crushed as they lost 4-1 on penalties after the game finished in a 1-1 draw.

Both sides knew what they were up against after the entertaining 2-2 draw on Saturday and both came into this game knowing they could advance in to face Kings Langley in the next round.

The game started off quite slowly with the first real chance falling to Boro’ in the 9th minute. Connor Calcutt and Michael Fernandes both linking up, with the ball eventually falling on the edge of the box to Luke Robertson, but his effort was wide of the Lewes goal.

Two minutes later and Lewes had a great chance to open the scoring. Ronnie Conlon showed his pace down the wing and his low cross into the box was met by Charlie Coppola, but CJ Fearn, who was in the Boro’ goal, produced a great save to deny the home side taking the lead.

In the 14th minute, Fernandes had a good solo effort for Boro, however, his shot was blocked on the edge of the box. From the resulting corner, Lewes goalkeeper Lewis Carey saved with his feet on the goal line and Lewes cleared the ball and denied Boro’ breaking the deadlock.

After 20 minutes played in the first half, for the next 10 minutes, it saw a bit of a dry spell, with both teams exchanging possession and were looking to build some more chances.

In the 34th minute, Fernandes was amongst the action once again. He showed some wonderful skill to beat his man on the wing before putting in a great ball to the far post, but Perry Coles couldn’t get good contact with his header on the ball and it was easy in the end for Lewes keeper Lewis Carey.

In the 38th minute, Lewes took the lead. Jonte Smith was played through on goal and he slotted it past Fearn in the Boro’ goal to open the scoring. Lewes 1-0 Farnborough.

Heading into half time, Boro’ saw themselves one goal behind.

HALF TIME: Lewes 1-0 Farnborough

At the start of the second half, Lewes were already putting the pressure on Boro’ and in the 46th minute, Lewes were straight out of the gates and hit the crossbar with a shot inside the box from Conlon.

Lewes had another chance in the 50th minute when Luke Blewden was found inside the Boro’ box where he chested down the ball and shot towards the Boro’ goal but his effort was wide.

Seven minutes later, Boro’ had a chance to level the scoring. After some good wing play, substitute Bradley Simms ran down the wing and was spotted by Coles who played him through, his cross was met by Fernandes inside the box, but he scuffed his kick and that was a great opportunity gone for Boro’.

In the 67th minute, Boro’ drew level. A brilliant cross from the left by Kurtis Cumberbatch into the box was met and headered in from close range by Calcutt, and going into the final 20 minutes, it was all level. Lewes 1-1 Farnborough.

Four minutes later, Boro’ had another chance. Coles stole the ball from the Lewes defender and ran into the box, but his effort went just wide of the post.

In the 75th minute, Lewes had an opportunity to take back the lead. Conlon was played through on goal by James Hammond, however, his shot was brilliantly saved by Fearn and the follow up shot was blocked out for a corner. It was some great defending in the end to keep the score level heading into the final 15 minutes.

Conlon had another chance for Lewes in the 83rd minute after some miscommunication in the Boro’ back line between Fearn and Simms gave him an opportunity to score, but with the speed he was carrying, the angle to score was quite tight and he couldn’t direct his effort on target and it was cleared by the Boro’ defence.

The match finished a 1-1 draw but extra time was still to come and potentially penalties.

FULL TIME: Lewes 1-1 Farnborough

Extra time had a couple of chances for both sides, but the main chance fell to Jonte Smith for Lewes near the end of the second half of extra time. The ball fell for him inside the box and all he had to do was beat Fearn from close range but he put his shot just wide of the Boro’ goal. And the game was going to be decided on penalties.

FULL TIME AET: Lewes 1-1 Farnborough

Lewes and Boro’ both scored their first penalties. The home team scored their second but Luke King’s spot kick for Boro’ was saved by Carey, giving Lewes the advantage. Leon Redwood scored to make it 3-1, and Carey was there again to deny Boro’ as he saved Cumberbatch’s penalty. Fearn had to save Nico Cotton’s penalty to keep the game alive but Cotton scored, advancing Lewes to the next stage of the FA Cup by beating Boro’ 4-1 on penalties.

A tough way to see Boro’s FA Cup campaign come to an end.

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: