Farnborough claw back The Rooks to force a Replay

By Erick Jupp

Farnborough came twice from behind at home and finished the game with 10 men to earn a 2-2 draw with Lewes and a tie Replay on Wednesday (12 September).

Both sides came in with great momentum; Boro’ getting a 4-3 comeback win last Saturday against Weymouth and a 3-1 win against Fleet Town in the Southern League Cup. Lewes earned themselves a 1-0 win over Margate last Saturday, as well as beating Molesey 8-1 in the FA Cup Preliminary Round.

This game promised to be a very entertaining encounter leading to kick-off.

When the first half begun, both teams struggled to maintain the ball and keep any sort of possession, with the first chance coming in the 7th minute when Boro’ defender Jerry Puemo found Michael Fernandes with a good pass on the edge of the box, however, his effort was over the bar.

Three minutes later, Boro’ captain Connor Calcutt, who scored a brace on that great comeback win against Weymouth, found space on the edge of the box, but his effort also was well over the goal.

With 15 minutes gone in the first half, both sides started to enjoy a fair share of possession, however, weren’t able to create any clear cut chances.

Lewes had a great opportunity to open the scoring in the 21st minute when defender Stacey Freeman guided his header just wide of the Boro’ goal.

Half hour into the game and Boro’ had the best chance of the half. A free kick was given about 30 yards away where Kurtis Cumberbatch stood over the ball and produced an excellent delivery to the back post, where Puemo connected with a great header from close range, but it was just over the bar.

Lewes had another chance when Bouwe Bosma got played through on goal in the 34th minute, but Boro’s Nathaniel Oseni was able to catch up with his pace and put in a great challenge to get rid of the danger.

Five minutes later, Lewes were knocking on the door again. A dangerous free kick on the edge of the box was awarded to the away side. James Hammond struck the ball on target, but Boro’ keeper James Stroud got down well to his left side to guide the ball around the post and out for a corner.

In the last four minutes of the half, Lewes goalkeeper Lewis Carey denied both Cumberbatch and Calcutt by tipping the ball over the bar to send the game into half time all level at 0-0.

HALF-TIME: Farnborough 0-0 Lewes

Four minutes into the second half and the deadlock was broken, but it was Lewes that took the lead. Half time substitute Nico Cotton capitalised on the Boro’ defence failing to clear the danger from the box and the ball fell to him inside the box and he slotted it into the bottom left corner of the Boro’ goal.

With the away side in front, they pressed for a second. In the 57th minute, Stroud was called upon in the Boro’ goal not only to deny Lewes once, but twice, a chance to get a second goal with two brilliant saves.

And three minutes later, Boro’ drew level. A brilliant run by Fernandes was picked out and he raced down the wing into the box where he found Calcutt in the box, and after getting tangled with the Lewes defender and sorting out his feet, he struck the ball into the bottom right of the Lewes goal to equalise, much to the fans’ delight.

But the celebration was short lived, in the 63rd minute, Lewes were awarded a dangerous free kick near the edge of the box. It was whipped into the box and Lewes captain Lloyd Cotton got on the end of it to head it into the goal from close range to regain the lead for the away side.

Boro’ responded instantly though, as a minute later, Luke Robertson’s cross was met by Cumberbatch, who put Boro back level from close range, setting up what promised to be an exciting last 25 minutes.

The game settled down, with both teams not creating anything until the last five minutes of the match.

In the 85th minute, Puemo saw red and was sent off when he was the last man in the defence and brought down the Lewes attacker.

In the 87th minute, Boro’ had a big opportunity to take the lead of the game very late on. Fernandes and Calcutt who were influential for Boro’s first goal, linked up again, with Fernandes using his electric pace down the wing and into the box before chipping the ball to Calcutt, who from close range headered the ball goalwards, only to be denied by a brilliant stop by Carey in the Lewes goal.

In the 90th minute, three minutes were added on, and both sides had opportunities to take the win. First, Perry Coles headered the ball over the bar from close range. From the resulting goal kick, Lewes were on the attack. However, the ball headed towards Stroud in the Boro’ goal, but as he waited for the ball to roll into the box for him to pick it up, he was beaten by the Lewes attacker, who chipped the ball over him, but the effort was just wide of the post.

On the brink of full time, Lewes had a last chance to take the win when Omarr Lawson dribbled past Stroud, but his momentum carried him wide of the goal and his cross into the box couldn’t find anyone in a red and black shirt. Boro’ had a corner from the resulting attack, but couldn’t find a goal either.

The match ended 2-2, but what a match it was. Wednesday’s trip to Lewes awaits the squad.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 2-2 Lewes

Steve Dormer, Surrey Hire CEO, with Man of the Match Connor Calcutt

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: