Late winner sees Boro’ back to winning ways

By Erick Jupp

Boro’ made it back-to-back wins after debutant Marc Charles-Smith scored late on to seal a 2-1 win against 10-men Gosport Borough.

Boro’ remained unchanged from the victory against Beaconsfield Town on Saturday and came into this game looking to grab another three points.

Gosport started the better of the two sides, and had a great opportunity to open the scoring in the 2nd minute when a corner whipped into the Boro’ box was headed towards the goal but Liam Beach made a great save to deny the visitors from opening the scoring.

Both sides shared possession, however, in the 9th minute, Boro’ got their breakthrough. After a good move, the ball was played into the box, where Connor Cullen was alive and quickly reacted to get ahead of the defender and tap home from close range with a good finish. Farnborough 1-0 Gosport Borough.

Gosport, despite going behind, settled into the game, holding most of the possession, but they couldn’t find a way past the Boro’ defence to create any clear cut chances.

Andrew Sealey-Harris had a good chance to make it two in the 24th minute, when he found himself with some space on the edge of the box, but his strike was saved by Patrick O’Flaherty in the Gosport goal.

Beach was called upon again to deny the visitors, when an effort from the edge of the box took a heavy deflection, but the Boro’ keeper got down to his left to make a good stop.

The game headed into the break, with Boro’ in the lead, in a half that had very limited amount of chances.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 1-0 Gosport Borough

The second half got underway and Gosport were pressing high and looking to get a quick equaliser and they had an opportunity to do so just four minutes into the half. A corner towards the back post caught Beach in no man’s land, but Gosport weren’t able to convert their chance.

Gosport were looking threatening from set pieces throughout the game and nearly got their goal in the 52nd minute. Another corner, this time crossed to the edge of the box, saw Matthew Casey with a lot space, but he dragged his shot just wide of the Boro’ goal.

Boro’ started to settle into the half and had a good chance in the 63rd minute when Sealey-Harris put in a great delivery towards the back post from a free kick, but no one in a yellow and blue shirt could get on the end of it.

Debutant Charles-Smith replaced Perry Coles in the 69th minute, and started to show what he was capable of, holding up the ball and playing it nicely.

Gosport went down to 10-men two minutes later, when George Bennett was shown a second yellow card.

Gosport, despite the disadvantage they had, got their equaliser in the 75th minute. A free kick whipped into the box by Ryan Case was not dealt with by Boro’ and the ball ended up falling to Tony Lee, who smashed it past Beach. Farnborough 1-1 Gosport Borough.

Boro’ had a chance to quickly respond four minutes later, when Ugo Udoji got on the end of a good corner delivery, but he headed wide of the goal.

After putting on the pressure in the late stages of the game, Boro’s persistence payed off in the 89th minute. After a dangerous free kick resulted in a corner for Boro’. From the resulting corner, a great delivery was put towards the back post, where Marc Charles-Smith headed it in to mark his debut with a goal and give Boro’ all three points. Farnborough 2-1 Gosport Borough.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 2-1 Gosport Borough

Keep up to date with your Club on social media: