Five-star Royston cruise past toothless Farnborough

Having to travel 75 miles or so up to Hertfordshire face League leaders, Royston Town on a Tuesday evening in January was always going to be a tall order for Spencer Day’s side.

Matters weren’t helped when defender, Curtis Osano was delayed in getting to the game due to transport issues. Consequently, Academy starlet, Ethan Allen was handed his first start of the Season.

The League leaders started how they meant to go on and certainly got their reward.

The Crows gave Farnborough early scares with Ingrey, Castiglione and Powell all going close early on.

It took 21 minutes for the hosts pressure to pay off as the tricky Ingrey beat Emmerson on the right wing and crossed the ball to Martel Powell who glanced his header past Bufton from inside the box. Royston Town 1-0 Farnborough.

Farnborough looked for a response as Smith won a free-kick after a dangerous studs-up challenge by Scott Bridges that went unpunished; before Pearce’s free-kick hit the Royston Town wall and Welch held on to Ciardini’s right-footed follow-up.

At the other end, Powell, Ingrey and Murray all missed further chances and Farnborough survived up until the 43rd minute when Royston Town doubled their advantage.

Castiglione exploited the right wing and stood up a great cross to Matt Nolan who steered a volley into the bottom right corner past the diving Bufton. Royston Town 2-0 Farnborough.

It went from bad to worse for Farnborough just before Half Time as Stuart Bridges’ free-kick was knocked on by Murray and Matt Nolan headed past Bufton for his second goal in as many minutes. Royston Town 3-0 Farnborough.

HALF TIME: Royston Town 3-0 Farnborough

With Royston Town in full control of the game it was now a case of ‘damage limitation’ for Farnborough, as Manager, Spencer Day made all three substitutions at Half Time.

Ethan Allen, Jack Barton and Eddie Smith were replaced by George Jeacock, Curtis Osano and Jamal Batchilly, respectively.

There was a slight improvement from Farnborough in the second period but The Yellows weren’t able to seriously trouble Joe Welch in the Royston Town goal.

The Referee booked Ciardini on 57 minutes, allegedly for diving inside the box while competing with Towner.

On the hour mark, possession was lost upfield and Royston Town hit Farnborough on the break at frightening speed. The ball was worked well to Ingrey and his cross from the right found Castiglione at the back post whose effort was pushed out by Bufton into the path of Scott Bridges who made no mistake from close range. Royston Town 4-0 Farnborough.

Royston Town made it five on 75 minutes as a deep corner found Brathwaite whose effort was saved by Bufton and the rebound fell to Scott Bridges who layed the ball off to Murray who ruthlessly rifled home from the edge of the box. Royston Town 5-0 Farnborough.

Bufton had to remain alert to deny Royston Town a sixth as Fehmi had his shot saved after being set up by Scott Bridges.

FULL TIME: Royston Town 5-0 Farnborough

Congratulations to Royston Town on their thoroughly deserved win which sent them eight points clear at the summit of the Evo-Stik League Southern Division One Central with a game in hand.

Farnborough are without a game this weekend and prepare for Tuesday evenings Hampshire derby at Fleet Town.


Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: