Dubious Penalty call sees Boro’ settle for a share of the spoils

Manager, Spencer Day made two changes to the starting eleven that was victorious earlier in the week, with Eddie Smith and Curtis Osano replacing Jack Barton and Ollie Treacher respectively.

Just a minute into the game and Farnborough started on the front-foot, with the Referee awarding Farnborough a Penalty after a foul inside the Potters Bar Town box.

Making his comeback from injury, Eddie Smith blasted home the Penalty to give Farnborough the lead with just two minutes on the clock. Potters Bar Town 0-1 Farnborough.

On ten minutes, a Murray free-kick from distance was delivered to McCluskey who got ahead of Pearce but couldn’t direct his effort goalbound.

Approaching the twenty minute mark, Oli and Smith exchanged passes down the right and the latter crossed the ball into Coles whose flick was tame and gathered by Constable.

Shortly after, the next chance fell to Doyle who made an adventurous run into the Farnborough box and was forced slightly wide but the Potters Bar Town Captain lifted his shot over Bufton’s crossbar.

From a Ciardini free-kick, Pearce cleverly flicked the ball on to Perry Coles who helped the ball into the goal from close range after 25 minutes. Potters Bar Town 0-2 Farnborough.

Farnborough’s opening goal-scorer, Eddie Smith was forced off after taking another knock to his ankle in a challenge with Wambeek and was replaced by Jack Barton on 38 minutes.

HALF TIME: Potters Bar Town 0-2 Farnborough

Potters Bar Town stepped up a gear, with Farnborough looking shell-shocked as the hosts pulled a goal back twelve minutes into the Second Half.

A well-worked move across the pitch from left to right saw the ball played out to the advancing Baird whose cross bounced off the top of Bufton’s bar and Murray was quickest to the rebound, side-footing the ball into the net. Potters Bar Town 1-2 Farnborough.

On approximately 65 minutes, Ciardini managed to get a shot away between the defending Baird and McCluskey but Constable held firm.

Potters Bar Town were certainly enjoying the lion’s share of possession in the second period but weren’t yet able to find an equaliser as Pearce and co stood firm in the Farnborough back-line.

From a Potters Bar Town corner from the right, Oyenuga was in the right place at the right time to make a crucial block at the back-post on 74 minutes.

The resulting corner was met by Grace whose header was in-turn, headed clear at the back-post by Barton and then Pearce.

Sam Pearce was the first player from either side to receive a caution after halting a Potters Bar Town counter attack following a quick turnover in possession.

Minutes later, an ambitious Coles snapshot from distance was saved by Constable who had to be alert.

The lively Bennett for the hosts dribbled at Oyenuga on the left and cut inside before his low drive was straight at Bufton.

At the other end, Coles set his strike-partner Oli into the Potters Bar Town box and the Farnborough front-mans left-footed shot trickled agonisingly wide of Constable’s left-hand post.

On the 90 minute mark, it was reported that the Referee would add on three minutes of additional time.

Having played the three minutes extra, the Farnborough bench were calling for Full Time but Potters Bar Town were allowed to create one final attack.

From the right wing, tricky substitute Holland burst away from Treacher and into the box and went to ground after minimal contact. With the Home crowd screaming for a Penalty, the Referee made no hesitation to point to the spot. Treacher wasn’t booked for the ‘foul’.

Ashley Nathaniel-George stepped up and cooly dispatched the Penalty to the left of the goal, sending Bufton the wrong way in the ninty-fourth minute. Potters Bar Town 2-2 Farnborough.

FULL TIME: Potters Bar Town 2-2 Farnborough

Credit where credit’s due and well done to Potters Bar Town who deserved something for their Second Half showing.

Farnborough, however, need to pick themselves up quickly ahead of a 2nd vs 3rd clash against Barton Rovers next weekend.


Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: