Farnborough grind out another win on the road

Spencer Day’s side made it two consecutive Away wins in the League with a comprehensive 4-2 win over Northwood, following on from a recent Derby victory at Fleet Town.

Boro’ lined-up in a similar fashion to the Fleet Town game, with Perry Coles coming in for Dennis Oli and Keith Emmerson deputised in central defence in place of the unavailable Curtis Osano.

Farnborough started well with the lion’s share of possession inside the Northwood half, although the hosts did look dangerous on the counter attack.

Ten minutes in, Farnborough worked the ball down the left channel with Coles anchoring the ball into the path of Ciardini who controlled the ball with his chest and had a right-footed half-volley blocked by Budden’s leg from just infront of the six yard box.

Spencer Day’s side broke the deadlock on 12 minutes after John Oyenuga won a corner off Burgess after a long run down the right. Ciardini’s inswinging corner was missed by the Northwood defence and hit Cox before bouncing off the bar and Huggins was first to the rebound to head into an empty net. Northwood 0-1 Farnborough.

On 21 minutes, another Ciardini corner was cleared as far as Emmerson and his diagonal ball found Ciardini whose right-footed shot flew past Loeches-Teixeira’s right-hand post.

Three minutes later, Huggins embarked on a tremendous run from defence which took him to just inside the Northwood box and he found Graham on the right who set Donnelly whose first-time cross was missed by Coles on the six yard box.

Northwood won a free-kick on the right on 26 minutes and no one gambled on Barnes’ inswinging free-kick which was comfortably claimed by Bufton.

On the half hour mark, Huggins sent a long ball from the right into the Northwood box which Pearce headed into the feet of Coles but Burgess got a vital touch and the chance was gone.

A minute later Coles was unfortunate not to double his sides lead as the Farnborough striker ran in behind but struck the post from the right side of the box and a relieved Loeches-Teixeira collected the loose ball.

Moments later, Donnelly dispossessed Burgess and tried his luck from just inside the Northwood half with a trademark strike that dipped just wide of Loeches-Teixeira’s right-hand post.

A rare stray-pass from Donnelly fell to Bircham who drove away from two Farnborough players and dragged a low effort wide as Huggins forced the Northwood striker wide of Bufton’s goal.

A minute later, Farnborough attacked at the other end and Coles unleashed a low shot at the Northwood goal from the edge of the box which Loeches-Teixeira seemed to get a touch to for a corner.

Northwood hit Farnborough on the counter attack from the resulting corner and Ehui put in a low ball from the right which both Oyenuga and Barnes challenged for but as the latter went to ground, the Referee pointed to the spot and awarded a Penalty.

Louis Bircham dispatched the resulting Penalty into the bottom right corner, sending Bufton the wrong way on 38 minutes. Northwood 1-1 Farnborough.

Farnborough looked to recover that goal before the break as Fearn fended off two challenges near the left corner flag and set Ciardini whose right-footed cross was headed clear as far as Donnelly who controlled the ball on the edge of the box but his volley bobbled wide.

Good feet from Ciardini on the left saw him get away from Taylor and Aghadiuno and his next pass hit Bircham and the ball fell to Donnelly who lashed a first-time volley high and out of the Stadium.

A few minutes before Half Time, Graham split the Northwood defence with a pin-point through ball to Coles inside the box who tried to cut inside of Burgess who slipped to the ground and his strike went out for a corner after Loeches-Teixeira was adjudged to have got a touch.

Pearce climbed highest but headed over the bar from Donnelly’s resulting corner.

The next Farnborough attack saw Coles run through on goal and put the ball in the back of the Northwood net but the Linesman dubiously flagged for Offside, although the Referee did eventually blow for a foul in the build-up.

HALF TIME: Northwood 1-1 Farnborough

Farnborough started the Second Half bright with Oyenuga drawing a foul down the right and Farnborough having a number of shots blocked by the Northwood defence from the resulting set piece.

However, disaster struck for Farnborough on 51 minutes. Northwood were awarded a free-kick on the left and James Budden bundled the ball home from close range, while Aaron Bufton and Sam Pearce collided with one-another.

Unfortunately there was a lengthily delay for the injuries suffered to the two players, with Farnborough having the only qualified physio in the Stadium. Bufton was unable to continue and was replaced by Jack Barton on 55 minutes, with Captain, CJ Fearn taking the gloves.

Sam Pearce tried to play on but was prevented from doing so by his injury and was replaced by Dennis Oli on 58 minutes, with Eddie Smith also taking the place of Jordan Graham as Farnborough used up all their substitutions with a re-shuffle taking place.

Northwood worked a good move down the right as McGovern exchanged passes with Barnes before dragging a right-footed shot comfortably wide of Fearn’s right-hand post.

Out of almost nothing, Farnborough pegged the hosts back on 62 minutes. Barton passed to Nic Ciardini who had ventured forwards from left-back and the Farnborough player drove inside of Ehui and into the box and his hopeful shot deflected off Burgess and then Taylor before bobbling into the net. Northwood 2-2 Farnborough.

The game then turned on its head four minutes later. A Cox flick-on from an Emmerson clearance was collected by Smith who played the ball out to Coles on the left. Coles advanced into the Northwood box, cut inside of Taylor and had a low shot spilled by Loeches-Teixeira and Eddie Smith pounced on the rebound to complete the turnaround. Northwood 2-3 Farnborough.

Four minutes later, a cross from the right found Coles inside the Northwood box whose first time volley was gathered by Loeches-Teixeira.

On 81 minutes, Ciardini whipped in a cross from the left at the second time of asking but Cox got under the ball with his header which flew harmlessly over the bar.

Farnborough put the game out of reach four minutes later, as Donnelly put a great through ball for Cox who rounded Loeches-Teixeira but was forced wide and unselfishly tried to pick out Smith who diverted the ball to Donnelly who composed himself well striking into the bottom right corner. Northwood 2-4 Farnborough.

In injury time, Cox set Oli just outside the Northwood box who played the ball out to Coles who drove down the left of the box and had a shot beaten away by Loeches-Teixeira and the ball came off Loughney for a corner. It just wasn’t to be Coles’ day.

The final chance of the game fell to White rose above Emmerson from a cross from the left but couldn’t generate any power of accuracy on his header which was easy for Fearn.

FULL TIME: Northwood 2-4 Farnborough 

Two happy Farnborough FC Directors at Full Time!

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: