Ten men Boro’ beaten in Wales

Farnborough suffered a third consecutive League defeat at the hands of Welsh outfit Merthyr Town on Saturday afternoon.

One of two big turning points in the game came with just two minutes on the clock. Merthyr Town’s Patten played a routine pass back to Hancock who slipped on the astroturf and as Bunyan looked to seize on the opportunity to run through on goal, he was hacked down by the last man. The Referee – who was just inside the Farnborough half when the incident occurred – Dale Wootton, failed to brandish a red card for the DOGSO offence and Hancock escaped with just a booking.

Evans’ resulting free-kick from outside the Merthyr Town box was caught by the Home goalkeeper Davies who dived low to his right.

Spencer Day’s side had started the game well, unsettling the hosts in the early stages of the game. After Evans won possession in midfield, he layed the ball off to Ciardini outside the box who drove a low left-footed shot just wide of Davies’ left-hand post.

Just after the quarter of an hour mark, Emmerson knocked a header into the path of Evans outside the box who controlled the ball on his chest before quickly firing a left-footed volley at Davies.

When Fearn cut out a Merthyr Town attack on 17 minutes, Ciardini played a great ball out wide left to Emmerson and he pulled the ball back to the unmarked Coles who couldn’t quite find the right connection, volleying wide from inside the box.

Charging down the left, Jenkins’ easily brushed aside Barton and then Fearn while advancing into the box, before picking out Patten who couldn’t tap the ball in from five yards out and then Hutchings swiped the loose ball away.

After Barton was adjudged to have fouled Fleetwood down the left, Saville bravely got his head to Morgan’s inswinging cross before Cairney gathered the ball at the second attempt.

Farnborough went on an attack down at the other end and Emmerson’s right footed shot from outside the box was deflected behind by Pring.

On the half hour mark, Saville picked up a head injury after a collision with Wright inside the Merthyr Town box and when the Referee did eventually stop play, treatment was allowed for the Farnborough defender. During this break in play, one of the Linesman spotted an off-the-ball incident which subsequently saw Farnborough Captain, Josh Huggins dismissed.

So, for the second consecutive weekend, Farnborough had to play the remainder of the game with ten men.

Four minutes after play resumed, a ball forwards from Pring was missed by Fearn and Fleetwood got in behind the Farnborough defence and cut inside of Saville but Cairney stood up well and blocked the eventual shot before Evans hooked the ball away.

After Cairney caught a Merthyr Town corner from the right, Saville and Wright were involved in an incident of similar ilk to the one which saw Huggins dismissed for five minutes earlier. Wright was grabbing hold of Saville’s shirt in the box and the Merthyr Town Captain was lucky to escape with just a talking to (along with Saville) for his reaction after Saville tried to get him off. Even the Merthyr Town bench were urging their players to control their Captain.

Merthyr Town took the lead on 39 minutes when Patten played a ball into the right channel for Adam Davies who ran into the box and crossed for Copp where Cairney made a stunning save but the unmarked right-back volleyed the rebound into the net. Merthyr Town 1-0 Farnborough.

Two minutes before the break, the hosts doubled their advantage. A long Davies kick was headed up in the air by Fearn and Patten won the second ball, then Jenkins headed the ball on to Kerry Morgan who composed himself by cleverly lobbing Cairney from outside the box. Merthyr Town 2-0 Farnborough.

HALF TIME: Merthyr Town 2-0 Farnborough

The Boro’ boss was clearly not happy at the break, having some stern words with the Officials, mainly in relation to Hancock’s offence in the second minute of the game.

Four minutes after the restart, Coles had a fantastic opportunity to pull a goal back, getting away from three Merthyr Town defenders and latching on to Evans’ volley up the pitch before blasting a left-footed volley wide from just inside the box.

On 51 minutes, Davies played a through ball to Morgan who got away from Hutchings and he lifted the ball into the path of Copp whose right-footed volley was saved by Cairney.

In the same minute, Jenkins, Fleetwood and Richards all linked-up outside the box with the latter bending a shot just wide of Cairney’s left-hand post.

Fleetwood took a powerful right-footed shot from the left which Cairney held on 57 minutes.

The experienced Stuart Fleetwood did find the net with a shot from a similar position to his last, curling a right-footed strike past Cairney on 65 minutes. Merthyr Town 3-0 Farnborough.

Merthyr Town were comfortable with possession during the Second Half, making use of their extra man advantage.

On 84 minutes, Fearn headed down a Davies cross from the right where Fleetwood lashed a first-time left-footed volley high over the bar.

Five minutes before Full Time, Evans passed to Copp from the right who teed up the unmarked Watkins who bent a first-time shot wide of Cairney’s goal.

FULL TIME: Merthyr Town 3-0 Farnborough

The final outcome ultimately hinged on two key decisions in the First Half, with Boro’ having to make the long journey back from Wales ahead of Bank Holiday Monday’s clash with Slough Town.

Keep up to date with your Club on social media: