Cox double sparks Derby Day delight!

Two headers from Pat Cox against his former Club in twenty First Half minutes saw Farnborough complete the League double over Fleet Town in Tuesday’s Hampshire Derby.

Farnborough Manager, Spencer Day rang the changes following defeat to Marlow last time out, with Oxford United loanee, Jordan Graham and the returning Scott Donnelly both handed starts.

Goalkeeper, Aiden Upward – who has signed First Team forms – also took his place on the substitutes bench.

Both sides started brightly and from a Bufton clearance, the ball came to White who tried his luck from distance with a dipping volley which sailed wide of the Farnborough goal.

From an inswining Ciardini corner from the right, Cox managed to set Huggins from on the Penalty spot whose right-footed shot was cleared off the line by a Fleet Town player on the post.

It was Spencer Day’s side who took the lead on 19 minutes as a Ciardini’s low cross into the box from the left was just too far ahead of the out-stretching Graham. Donnelly recycled the ball with a pin-point accurate cross from which Pat Cox duly headed past his former team-mate in the Fleet Town goal. Fleet Town 0-1 Farnborough.

After Huggins was dispossessed inside the Fleet Town half, Craig Davis’ quick-thinking saw a great ball played out to the left to Mblambo who got the right side of Oyenuga. However, the Farnborough full-back made an equally great recovery and got enough of the ball on his tackle to allow Bufton to collect it.

Following a piece of skill from Bufton inside his own box to allow him to make a clearance, Graham got hold of a loose ball, drove forwards and had a shot blocked by the head of Scott. Oli controlled the rebound inside the Fleet Town box and neatly set Pearce down the right who drove a cross in to Cox glanced a free header into the far corner. Fleet Town 0-2 Farnborough.

A Bufton free-kick deep into the Fleet Town half was knocked into the path of Cox whose half-volley was beaten away by Pryce and Hutchings put the loose ball behind.

On 45 minutes, the hosts got their reward for staying in the game as an inswinging Davis corner fortuitously fell to Hawker who volleyed the ball into the net from close range. Fleet Town 1-2 Farnborough.

Farnborough had an opporunity to re-store their two goal cushion just before the break as an Oli cross from inside the box was headed into the path of Ciardini whose venomous first-time strike was acrobatically tipped over the bar by Pryce.

HALF TIME: Fleet Town 1-2 Farnborough

The Second Half started in a similar manner to the first with White once again firing wide from the edge of the box with his sides first chance of the half.

Fleet Town’s first substitution of the game saw Danilo Cadete come on for Ben Toye.

On 67 minutes, Perry Coles replaced Jordan Graham who was impressive on his first start for the Club.

Minutes later, the ball somehow stayed out of the Fleet Town net in a frantic few seconds as Mlambo unintentionally turned Oli’s cross goalbound only for Pryce to tip the effort upwards and then Cox was denied with the rebound, firing his shot straight into Pryce who was on the floor, before Scott headed the ball behind.

Farnborough were almost made to pay for that miss and were fortunate as Pryce’s goal-kick bounced straight over the midfield and the ball was helped on by Carr to Cadete who ran through on goal and rounded Bufton but while being forced wide, his right-footed strike cannoned off the post and a relived Bufton claimed the rebound.

At the other end, Oyenuga accelerated away from Harfield down the right and pulled the ball back to Coles inside the box where Williamson made a block and then Pryce closed down the space and smothered the Farnborough strikers resulting shot.

Jack Barton replaced two-goal hero, Pat Cox for Farnborough on 72 minutes.

On 80 minutes, Farnborough’s final substitution saw Keith Emmerson take the place of Scott Donnelly, who had a fine returning debut. Simultaneously, Josh Francis replaced James Scott for the hosts.

Fleet Town worked a good move down the centre of the pitch involving White, Williamson and Mlambo as the latter drew Osano out of position and picked out Carr whose left-footed effort lacked power and was comfortably caught by Bufton.

It was ‘backs against the wall’ for Farnborough for the final few minutes of the game as Fleet Town pilled on the pressure in search of a late equaliser but Boro’ cleared a pinball situation inside their own box and the Referee blew for Full Time to draw to a close an extremely entertaining Hampshire derby.

FULL TIME: Fleet Town 1-2 Farnborough

Many thanks to Fleet Town for their hospitality in the week and we wish them all the best for the remainder of the Season.

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: