Boro’ humble the ‘Mighty’ Rovers.

A good team performance saw Boro’ comfortably overcome the fourth placed side from Bedfordshire and maintain pressure at the top of the League.

On the front foot from the off, Boro’ created some early openings and asked questions of the visitors defence.

With Rovers restricted to long range efforts Connor Calcutt came close with a swerving shot which went just wide of the post.

From Bufton’s goal kick Boro’ mounted a speedy counter attack which saw Perry Coles hit a fierce shot from the right side of the area which whistled past Coulton into the far corner of his net after 11 minutes. Farnborough 1-0 Barton Rovers.

After another effort from Coles was deflected for a corner – he took the kick himself and put in a decent cross which Josh Huggins headed just over.

After Aaron Bufton had dealt with another effort from Calcutt and gathered a free kick from Charlie Smith, Boro’ were back on the attack.

A good move down the right saw John Oyenuga put in a cross which was put away by Eddie Smith to double Boro’s lead on 20 minutes. Farnborough 2-0 Barton Rovers.

Boro’ dominated the remainder of the half which saw Sam Pearce almost catch Tom Caulton off his line with a massive free kick from just inside his own half with the ball finally dropping over the bar.

Rovers’ only real chance saw Jimmy Hartley glance a header wide.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 2-0 Barton Rovers

The second half began with Rovers replacing full back David Corran with ex Boro’ player Michael Malcolm. The change saw Dan Hutchins, their number nine drop back into the left side of defence.

Early Boro’ pressure brought nothing more than several corners as they remained on top.

The visitors had a brief spell of pressure which saw them pepper the Boro’ goal about ten minutes in but Bufton and his defence kept them at bay.

Rovers were becoming quite physical and had a number of players booked in quick succession. The booking for Knight being for a nasty tackle on CJ Fearn which saw him stretchered off to be replaced by Jack Barton on 70 minutes.

Sam Pearce crashed two efforts against first the post and then the bar either of which would surely have put the game beyond our opponents reach.

Boro’ replaced Eddie Smith, who had received a couple of knocks, with George Jeacock on 76 minutes and Rovers brought on Jack Keating for Tom Smith on 80 minutes.

Boro’ were not to be denied for long and Nic Ciardini cracked home their third in style on 83 minutes. Farnborough 3-0 Barton Rovers.

Dennis Oli was replaced with Sam Shaban after 85 minutes.

Shaban was soon to feature along with fellow sub George Jeacock when he headed strongly home from Jeacock’s cross three minutes before time. Farnborough 4-0 Barton Rovers.

Nic Ciardini went close with a free kick in added time but the score remained unchanged.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 4-0 Barton Rovers

A good solid team effort in which Boro’ played sensibly and maintained a good work rate throughout the whole match.

A similar approach and performance in the forthcoming game against Royston Town could give us a realistic chance of making up some leeway.

Well done to all and hope injuries incurred will not be too serious.

Come on you Yelloowsaa!!

Match Report by Tony Duff.


Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: