Boro’ give Champions-elect Crows a scare

Spencer Day’s side started the game brightly against a strong Royston Town side and this game was evident as to why they are running away with the League.

Farnborough’s first move saw Donnelly and Ciardini link-up inside the Royston Town half and a fortuitous deflection took the ball into the path of Coles who let the ball come across his body but he fired over from distance.

After 7 minutes, Royston Town winger, Rod Orlando-Young was replaced by Ryan Ingrey after sustaining two knocks early on.

Royston Town’s first chance of the game arrived on 12 minutes as Scott-Morris recycled the ball from his cleared corner and Ingrey had his header claimed by debutant, Zaki Oualah.

After Towner comfortably won possession inside his own half, Scott-Bridges received the ball and his pass made its way to Frendo whose slotted Josh Castiglione through in behind Oyenuga. The Royston Town winger drove into the box and made no mistake when one-on-one with Oualah. Farnborough 0-1 Royston Town.

Royston Town started to get a foothold in the game and a Scott Bridges ball from inside the Farnborough half was headed clear by Huggins to Powell who sliced his first-time volley harmlessly wide.

Frater made sure Oualah was alert with a free-kick from distance that drifted wide of the new Farnborough goalkeepers right-hand post.

On the half hour mark, an inswinging Scott-Morris cross from the left was met by Scott Bridges who was running in to the box but his first-time shot lacked any real power and was comfortable for Oualah.

A minute later, Donnelly pounced on a headed clearance from Frater inside the Royston Town half and Coles picked up the ball and drew Scott-Morris out-of-position before turning inside and playing an inch-perfect through ball to the advancing Oyenuga inside the box. The Farnborough wide-man picked out Scott Donnelly who controlled the ball on his right foot and rifled a strike past Welch who didn’t move. Farnborough 1-1 Royston Town.

Two minutes after the re-start, Farnborough were slow to react to a Scott-Morris throw-in on the left and Frendo got away from Osano but the Royston Town striker fired straight at Oualah and Huggins swept away the loose ball.

After Coles did well to keep hold of the ball on the edge of the Royston Town box, the ball eventually fell to Barton whose low right-footed shot was held by Welch.

Farnborough took the lead five minutes before Half Time as Welch palmed Pearce’s free-kick from the left straight into the path of the onrushing Curtis Osano who headed the ball into the net from close range. Farnborough 2-1 Royston Town.

There was still time for another chance before the break as Scott Bridges fed Powell from distance who was allowed to turn but his right-footed shot rose over the bar on 42 minutes.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 2-1 Royston Town

Three minutes after the restart, Donnelly teed up Pearce with a free-kick from distance which was straight at Welch who held on to the ball.

After a break in play following a back injury to Royston Town’s Watkins, Farnborough seemed to switch off and lose concentration for a moment and were punished. Stuart Bridges’ free-kick from inside his own half was headed out wide by Frendo to Scott Bridges who got around Fearn and stood up a cross to the back post where the unmarked Ryan Ingrey headed home. Farnborough 2-2 Royston Town.

Danny May replaced the injured Adam Watkins on 57 minutes.

Towner surged away from Ciardini down the right and crossed to Frendo inside the box whose header went over Oualah’s bar.

Farnborough boss, Spencer Day made his first substitution of the game on 52 minutes with Keith Emmerson taking the place of Jack Barton.

Coles controlled a long pass from Huggins down the right and did brilliantly to set Oyenuga free down the right once again and Oli had a stab at the ball from the resulting cross but was denied by Welch who pushed the ball away for a corner.

Both sides made further substitutions on the respective 64 and 65 minute marks. First, Farnborough Captain, CJ Fearn took a knock and was unable to continue and Jordan Graham was sent on. Royston Town then took off striker John Frendo and on came Matt Nolan – who scored a hat-trick in the earlier meeting back in January.

A Donnelly corner was cleared as far as Ciardini on the left who hooked the ball back into the box at the second time of asking and two Royston Town clearances fell to Farnborough’s corner taker just outside the box. Donnelly sliced his effort which looped up in the air for what should have been a routine claim for Welch, but the goalkeeper flapped at the ball and Perry Coles did what all good strikers do and followed in the rebound to put Boro’ back in front on 71 minutes. Farnborough 3-2 Royston Town.

Farnborough’s final substitution of the game was made on 81 minutes with Pat Cox replacing Dennis Oli in a like-for-like change upfront.

Ciardini exchanged passes with Cox down the left and the Farnborough wide-man picked out Graham who bent a right-footed shot agonisingly wide of Welch’s left-hand post.

Cox nicked the ball from the left wing and drove inside but couldn’t get enough power on his right-footed shot which was held by Welch.

On 91 minutes, an inswinging May free-kick from the right fortuitously fell to Nolan inside the box whose low shot trickled wide of Oualah’s right-hand post.

A minute later, Royston Town were still pressing hard for an equaliser and May received possession in a pocket of space and chipped the ball in the air where Donnelly jumped up for a header and fell to the deck as Scott Bridges attempted to move out of the way. To everyones amazement, the Referee – who had a clear view of the incident – blew for a free-kick in favour of Royston Town.

In the 93rd minute, Scott Bridges stepped up and his powerfully driven free-kick was fumbled by Oualah into the net and the League leaders had a late equaliser. Farnborough 3-3 Royston Town.

In the dying seconds of the game, Farnborough launched an attack with a long throw from Ciardini from the left touchline headed away by Frater and Emmerson set Ciardini for one final cross. The ball in was pinpoint accurate to the six yard box where Pearce and Cox got in each others way and the latter glanced his header excruciatingly wide.

The Referee then called Full Time on an intense game of Football which saw the Evo-Stik League Southern Division One Central’s top two battle it out in an extremely entertaining six-goal thriller.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 3-3 Royston Town

This result saw the League leaders keep their impressive twelve game unbeaten run intact and Farnborough Football Club would like to congratulate Royston Town on the outstanding Season that they are enjoying.

Man of the Match

As voted for by our Official Match Sponsors, RM Carpets; Dennis Oli is presented with the Man of the Match award.

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: