Walker’s Brace Boosts Boro!

A Dan Walker double secured all 3 points for Farnborough who secured their first home league win of the season with a 2-1 victory over St Ives Town.

St Ives had the games first real opening chance when a dangerously whipped cross from ex Boro man Miles Smith found the head of unmarked McGowan, but his header was put wide. Farnborough then edged closer when Perry Coles’ deep corner was met by the on rushing Walker, who’s half volley cannoned back off the woodwork!

It was on the 11th minute when the deadlock was broken. Calcutt was instrumental throughout the first half at holding up play in the middle of the park, and he done so once more before creating a bit of space to slide in Dan Walker. Walker’s pace proved too much and as he broke into the box he nestled home to give Farnborough the lead! Farnborough 1-0 St Ives Town.

St Ives only victory this season has come on the road, and they didn’t let the goal dampen their fairly positive start. They got themselves back into the game when Dubi Ogbonna, who many of us thought looked offside, was deemed onside by the assistant. Cairney came rushing out but miss-queued his clearance to allow Ogbonna to tap home into an empty net. Farnborough 1-1 St Ives Town.

The action for the first half wasn’t finished there. Huggins found himself with more time than even he thought inside the St Ives box as he fired high over the cross bar from Emmerson’s pull back.

A red card followed minutes later after Southam was awarded his second yellow card of the game for a lately timed challenge in the middle of midfield. Unfortunately for Southam he was harshly booked in the opening 1/4 of the game following an incident with the St Ives management team when Glen tried to retrieve the ball back for a quick throw in.

Spencer Day forced to make a tactical change saw Jake Evans replace Jack Saville who moments before the red card incident found himself let off from nearly gifting St Ives the lead. His poorly hit back pass was intercepted by Ogbonna but was denied well from a strong Cairney save.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 1-1 St Ives Town

The second half saw Farnborough dominate the Cambridgeshire based side, who were placed 21st before the match kicked off. Half time substitute Ciardini thought he won himself a penalty after he squeezed in-between two St Ives defenders, but the referee was unmoved by the incident. The referee was soon later involved in yet another red card. A raised elbow in an arial battle with Huggins saw goal scorer Ogbonna see the games second red card on the 62nd minute.

With the sides equal, Boro stepped up the work rate for the remainder of the half which saw countless efforts from Ciardini, a tight angled shot from Cureton and a driven strike from Walker all well saved from St Ives keeper Goff who is currently on loan from Northampton Town.

However, on the 86th minute relief filled the Rushmoor Community Stadium as Dan Walker placed beyond the diving Goff to net his 5th of the season and Farnborough’s second of the match. Yet again Nic Ciardini involved down the left created some space on the by-line and pulled a lovely weighted ball to Walker, who took 2 touches before securing the win. Farnborough 2-1 St Ives Town.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 2-1 St Ives Town

A win which has moved Farnborough up to 13th place in the league, and has extended their unbeaten league run to 3!

Next up, we welcome Dorchester Town this Wednesday to the Rushmoor Community Stadium as Spencer Day and co look to extend this fantastic run of form!

Match Report by Ryan Chitson.

Keep up to date with your Club on social media: