Farnborough sail past The Ducks to maintain Pecking order in the Play-Offs

Boro’ got the perfect start in their clash with mid-table Aylesbury United.

With little more than two minutes on the clock, Perry Coles received the ball  five or six yards out and with his back to goal. He neatly turned his defender and calmly found the net to the right of Aylesbury United keeper, Jack Sillitoe. Farnborough 1-0 Aylesbury United.

Zaki Oualah was soon in action, getting down well to claim a low cross as the visitors attempted to hit back quickly.

The game developed into a fairly dour end-to-end affair which led to few genuine chances. A combination of stray passes and timely interceptions meant the two sides effectively cancelled each other out.

Emmerson and Ciardini had shots from distance competently dealt with by Sillitoe, before the keeper parried an on-target header from Cox and his defence cleared the ball.

Bewley and French came closest for Aylesbury United with both attempts being just off-target.

Just under ten minutes from the break, Dennis Oli was injured and replaced by Jack Barton.

The remainder of the half passed without any significant event and the score at the interval remained unchanged at 1-0.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 1-0 Aylesbury United

The Second Half got away at 4:02pm and Boro’ came close when Scott Donnelly had an effort tipped over by Sillitoe, but, rather strangely, Referee Fisher awarded Aylesbury United a free kick.

Efforts in quick succession from Barton and Huggins were both too high.

Aylesbury United replaced Kalakoutis with Frederick on 58 minutes and five minutes later the returning Jamie Cureton came on for Pat Cox.

Oualah saved well from Coulter and then kept out a long range effort from substitute, Jordan Frederick.

The last twenty minutes followed a similar pattern to what had gone before and both sets of players were clearly becoming frustrated at their lack of progress.

Further changes were made by both teams: Boro’ brought on Jordan Graham for Donnelly and Aylesbury United replaced Coulter and Hogg with Olusemo and Williams.

John Oyenuga had a shot on the turn with five minutes left which was just too high and in the three added minutes, Perry Coles was rather harshly booked.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 1-0 Aylesbury United

A frustrating game for players and supporters, but Boro’ had the consolation of taking three more points to cement their position at the top of the Play-Off places.

Come on you Yelloowsaa!!

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: