Missed opportunity for Boro’

Boro’ gave a first start to new signing Pat Cox but a below par performance saw them lose ground to Marlow who strengthened their position in the play-off places.

The visitors were quick to show good speed and coordination on the break and might have made more of an opening created by Allen Bossman but he miscued his final cross.

Boro’ did have chances which in the main came from long balls out of defence. Nic Ciardini and Perry Coles both  had a shots blocked and Josh Huggins headed over while Jack Barton skied a chance after a corner was partially cleared.

The visitors attacks were well organised and contained some good passing movements and they took the lead on thirteen minutes when Jordan Brown got a shot away which seemed to take a slight deflection before beating Aaron Bufton. Farnborough 0-1 Marlow.

Former Boro’ player, Joel Driscoll tipped over an effort from Pat Cox and Sam Pearce headed over from a corner before seeing Driscoll deal comfortably with another effort.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 0-1 Marlow

Not too much between the sides, but the visitors were better organised and playing as a unit while showing promise with quick counter attacks.

Boro’ replaced Jack Barton with a new face, Jordan Graham at the break.

Driscoll conceded a corner from an Eddie Smith effort before dropping the corner under his bar with the ball looking as if it could have dropped over the line, but play was waved on.

Both sides had near misses and Bufton did well to block a close range effort from Mealing after punching the first attempt clear.

With little more than fifteen minutes left, Jordan Brown made the most of slight contact in the box and Marlow were awarded a penalty.

Aaron Bufton saved the first effort from Marlow skipper Chris Ovenden, then blocked the follow up, but Ovenden managed to squeeze the ball home from close range on 75 minutes. Farnborough 0-2 Marlow.

Bufton was injured in trying to keep the ball out and was forced to leave the field.

Boro’ made two changes with John Oyenuga replacing Keith Emmerson and Ethan Allen coming on for Bufton. In the absence of a recognised keeper on the bench, Sam Pearce took over between the sticks.

As tempers began to fray, both sides had players booked and despite efforts to pressure the visitors, Boro’ were unable to achieve more than a couple of near misses.

Marlow made three changes in the final ten minutes and played within themselves to see the game through. It came as no real surprise when one of them, Chid Onokwai, added a third in stoppage time. Farnborough 0-3 Marlow.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 0-3 Marlow

Not a good performance from Boro’ who seemed unable to combine as a unit and will need to be more alert if they are not to slip up at Fleet Town on Tuesday.

Come on you Yelloowsaa!

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: