Boro’s FA Cup run over for another year.

Having comfortably overcome Longlevens and Andover Town in previous rounds, a somewhat under par Boro’ were “shot down” by Swindon Supermarine at the Webb’s Wood Stadium.

Boro’ who came into the game in a fine run of form which saw them topping the Evo-Stik League Southern Central Division with 18 points from seven games, came up against a side which
lay in 4th position in the South & West Division with 14 points from their seven games.

Without Dennis Oli, believed to be on ‘paternal’ duty, Habib Cissoko started up front alongside Jamie Cureton.

It was apparent from the start that the tall Cissoko was the target for a great many long, high balls, pumped in his direction. Sadly, too many attempts to pick him out were wayward and those which got near him were not used to great advantage.

In general, Boro’ were not passing the ball well and as a result conceded possession far too easily.

Conversely, the home side had a clear preference for playing the ball on the deck and did so to good effect which put pressure on the Boro’ defence.

Even so, in the opening 20 minutes neither keeper had much to do with only a high shot from Cureton and a header from Waldon which went wide, being the only real attempts of note.

Supermarine enjoyed a bright spell around the 30 minute mark which put pressure on the Boro’ defence and caused a few anxious moments.

The nearest Boro’ came to threatening the home goal followed a Ciardini corner on the left which went across the face of the goal and was headed back by Cissoko only to be finally cleared.

Osano was booked near the edge of the box but Callum Parson’s free kick was easily cleared.

Driscoll got down well by his near post to claim the ball from a right cross/shot, but this saw the home side pile on the pressure just before the break which led to some fairly frantic clearances.

With the ball crossing back and forth around the Boro’ box, Driscoll came for a cross, tried a punch and missed, then several attempted clearances went higher into the air, or simply away without much sense of direction.

However, the scoreline remained 0-0 when Referee, Green blew for half time.

Neither side had looked remotely like scoring in an open game which had been largely dominated by defenders.

The home side had played some neat football without having a shot on target and too many Boro’ players were well short of the confident, capable outfit we have become used to seeing over the last few weeks.

The second half got away at 4:02pm with Boro’ replacing Habib Cissoko with Callum Overton.

Boro’ made a brighter start and Emmerson was not too far out with a long range effort then Oyenuga made a good run past two players before slipping a good pass to Cureton who was ruled off-side.

Nic Ciardini played a corner short to Emmerson but his cross was too strong and passed through the area without danger.

Westlake was booked and almost immediately the home side replaced Selman with Bradley Gray on 56 minutes.

Supermarine had two attempts in quick succession with Waldon heading over from a right wing cross before Callum Parsons was too high with a free kick on the edge of the 18 yard line.

Morgan was booked for pulling Oyenuga back by his shirt and Huggins shot just wide of the post following the free kick.

Callum Overton had a cross come shot from the right saved by Connor Johns at the base of the post.

From the clearance the home side broke quickly down the left and with the Boro’ defence standing off, Waldon hit a rather speculative shot from around 25 yards which seemed to thread it’s way along the ground, between two defenders and into the net past an unsighted Joel Driscoll on 64 minutes. Swindon Supermarine 1-0 Farnborough.

The next 20 minutes saw both sides make chances and several niggling fouls one of which earned Jack Barton a yellow card near the half way line.

CJ headed clear from a cross into the box and at the other end Nic Ciardini came close to making space for a left foot shot but the danger was averted by the home defence.

Joe Shepherd replaced Sam Morris on 81 minutes and Shepherd almost immediately drew a good save from Joel Driscoll.

With Boro’ urgently pushing for an equaliser, Johns saved well from Overton.

Boro’ replaced Barton and Oyenuga with Batchilly and Shabam on 82 minutes.

With Supermarine playing mainly down the left side they still made two late chances when Waldon went close before Driscoll saved from Gray.

Overton was booked near the right touchline in his own half – not sure why.

Swindon Supermarine made a final change when Thompson replaced Callum Parsons on 89 minutes and though no announcement was made, Mr Green added almost 5 minutes before bringing the game to an end.

FULL TIME: Swindon Supermarine 1-0 Farnborough

The home side deserved their narrow win on a day when far too many Boro’ players fell short of their recent good form.

The bustling style and ability of Dennis Oli to hold the ball and play others in, was sadly missed.

Let’s hope we can regain form and return to winning ways at Chalfont St. Peter next week when we return to League action, following a short midweek trip to Basingstoke Town for a Hampshire Senior Cup tie.

Come on you Yelloowsaa!!

Match Report by Tony Duff.


Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: