No luck for Boro’ at Love Lane.

Our host’s first home game of the season was played on a truly awful surface.

As well as a distinct slope from one side to the other and a very uneven surface, the grass, which apparently had, until recently, been best part of 10 inches high had clearly been shaved not long ago and was a brownish yellow colour all over.

The overall effect made ball control and passing extremely difficult though it must be said that it was the same for both sides.
Any lack of detail is due to the fact that no team sheet was available at kick off.

After a fairly end to end start the hosts took the lead after 12 minutes. Driscoll having parried a cross cum shot from the right could only watch a Petersfield Town forward went over Osano’s inviting extended leg as he endeavoured to clear.

Number 11 made no mistake from the penalty after 12 minutes. Petersfield Town 1-0 Farnborough.

Farnborough were playing the better football and had the majority of possession without being able to break through.

A speculative shot from Emmerson after a clearance dropped just over the bar.

Boro’s efforts eventually bore fruit when good work and a decent cross from John Oyenuga on the right saw Jamie Cureton tuck away the equaliser to open his account in a Boro’ shirt on 20 minutes. Petersfield Town 1-1 Farnborough.

Boro’ continued to dominate and came close on several occasions. Oli had an effort blocked on the line by the keeper and when the rebound was returned goalwards, Boro’ players appealed that the ball had crossed the line but play was waved on.

Oyenuga had a shot turned over by the keeper, Eddie Smith hit the post and struck the rebound just wide.

Further pressure from Boro’ saw Curerton latch on to another rebound but he seemed to hurry his shot which flew over.

HALF TIME: Petersfield Town 1-1 Farnborough

Shortly after the re-start a Boro’ free-kick saw Cureton head just over the bar.

The home side took the lead when the ball was not cleared and a rather speculative shot from outside the area found the net on 55 minutes. Petersfield Town 2-1 Farnborough.

Boro’ were attacking and fell foul of two dubious ‘offside’ decisions in a few minutes.

Oli burst through and was clearly fouled as he prepared to shoot only for an off-side flag to be raised. The final touch which put him clear had been from a Petersfield Town player and a similar incident a short while later again deprived Boro’ of a good opportunity.

The home side were to benefit again from a defensive lapse when Driscoll made a good save but the ball was only partially cleared and a Petersfield Town forward was able follow up and score on 67 minutes. Petersfield Town 3-1 Farnborough.

Boro’ made a double change in 72nd minute with Ciardini replacing Oli and Shaban coming on for Forbes.

Renewed attacks saw Boro’ reduce the arrears when Cureton latched on to a cross from the left and duly scored his second of the night on 75 minutes. Petersfield Town 3-2 Farnborough.

Petersfield Town replaced 7 with 15 after 79 minutes.

Despite almost constant attacking for the remaining time Boro’ were not able to draw level and the nearest they came was when Smith shot over following a Petersfield Town clearance.

With the home side clearly trying to see time out the final minutes led to a few niggling clashes and Josh Huggins received a Yellow card when pushing a Petersfield Town player whom he clearly felt to be time wasting by going to ground. He was lucky as such actions often lead to a straight Red.

FULL TIME: Petersfield Town 3-2 Farnborough

A disappointing result from a game which saw Boro’ enjoy a good deal of possession.

The home side had a couple of half chances and took them which along with the early Penalty saw them come out on top.

Let’s hope for better things from the trip to Kidlington (and a better pitch).

Come on you Yellooowsaa!!

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: