Battling Boro’ notch up another away win.

In what was a huge game for both sides, Boro’s battlers chalked up a third consecutive away win from their long journey to Suffolk.

On a pleasant Spring afternoon Boro’ got away to a perfect start when the lively Oliver Bailey, making his first full start, saw his effort take a slight deflection and beat Daniel Gay to put Boro’ ahead with just six minutes on the clock. Needham Market 0-1 Farnborough.

With much of the play proving fairly even and neither side able to really impose themselves, the early goal steadied Boro’ and they restricted the home side to only the occasional opportunity.

Ingram had a chance from close in around the 20 minute mark, but Bufton made a good save from point blank range.

Brothers’, looping shot was no problem for the Boro’ keeper and Coakley shot wide from distance.

The Marketmen were given a life line when, following a corner on the right, the Referee, Mr Turner, spotted a handball in the crowded Boro’ area.

Brothers’ kick cannoned off the right post and a second attempt which took a deflection, brought a good save from Aaron Bufton.

The home side were stung into renewed attempts to level matters and the remainder of the half saw them attacking almost constantly.

Boro’ were resolute in defence and Bufton was to make two good stops fielding a low effort from Ingram before tipping a Holland shot over for a corner.

Mr Turner announced a minimum of 5 added minutes (7 played) and Charlie Allen shot over from distance before Ingram screwed a chance wide for the home side.

HALF TIME: Needham Market 0-1 Farnborough

There was little to choose between the two sides with relatively few clear chances created, but Boro’s overall performance saw them reach the interval with a deserved, if narrow lead.

The second period began at 4:08pm with the home side back on the offensive and Bufton relieved the pressure with a good punch to clear a dangerous looking cross.

Merrick James-Lewis, who was seen to be limping when the teams came out after the interval, was replaced by Matt Ball after just five minutes play.

Ball was soon in action and when Gay could only parry his shot, Jack Smith was first to react and headed home to double Boro’s lead with just 12 minutes of the half gone. Needham Market 0-2 Farnborough.

After Freddie Grant was booked on 58 minutes, The Marketmen made two changes in a seven minute spell in an effort to change their fortunes.

James Akintunde was replaced by Jordan Patrick on 63 minutes, before Billy Holland made way for Oliver Mann on 70 minutes.

With the home side pushing forward Bufton made another good reflex save, before Brothers blazed over and a strong shot from Ingram was deflected for a corner.

With about ten minutes of the 90 remaining, John Oyenuga was fouled near the half way line and went down injured.

He was asked to leave the field and await the arrival of the physio, but, somewhat unwisely, he returned to the fray and it was clear that he was unable to continue and was helped from the pitch and replaced by Jack Barton on 83 minutes.

Boro’ continued to soak up the continuous pressure as the clock ran down and then braced themselves for a further test as a minimum of 5 additional minutes were announced.

In a rare break from defence Charlie Allen and Oliver Bailey combined well on the right, but nobody was able to reach the final cross into the area.

Soon back in defensive mode, Freddie Grant cleared of the line following a Needham Market corner and the travelling fans breathed again.

Both sides made final substitutions in the remaining time with Ingram being replaced by Izzett for the home side and for Boro’, Mutero came on for Oli.

No doubt these final substitutions contributed to what proved to be 7 added minutes before Mr Turner finally blew for time.

FULL TIME: Needham Market 0-2 Farnborough

Not a game for the purists, but a stalwart performance by Boro’ and the reward of another massive three points in their endeavour to avoid a double relegation.

It was great to see a Coach load of supporters and hear the vocal support of the PRE choir which I’m sure was much appreciated by the team and the bench.

Grateful thanks to FaST and others for the heavily subsidised trip.

Onwards now to next week’s visit of League leaders, Hampton & Richmond Borough and let’s hope we can count on a good gate and some more of today’s vocal support for another huge game as the season enters the final furlong.



Match Report by Tony Duff.

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: