Away win accomplished at last.

The long awaited away League win was finally achieved with a good performance at Imber Court which saw Boro’ ‘nick’ the points off Met Police.

For the record, now the ghost has been laid, you have to go back to 17th November, 2014 when we won 3-2 at St. Albans City.

The home side included several names familiar to Boro’ fans, notably Andrew Jenkinson, who wore the Yellow shirt only a week ago against Grays Athletic. Boro’ gave a first start to Trevor Mutero.

The game started promptly at 3:00pm and the opening exchanges were pretty even with both sides creating early chances.

For Boro’ Vastsuk crossed well from the left but Charlie Allen wasn’t able to make a good contact and shot wide.

Collins had a go at the other end but the ball flew out of the ground, then, in another attack the ball fairly whistled around the Boro’ 6 yard box before being cleared.

Dennis Oli made a good run into the box but the ball seemed to bounce badly for him and he lost control.

John Oyenuga was making some telling runs down the right and receiving some close attention from ex Boro’ favourite Ollie Treacher who was all over him without being penalised.

Undeterred, Oyenuga continued to cause problems with his quick running and his long throws.

Another good Oli run and cross from the left saw Bogdan Vastsuk head wide and for the home side, Barrett shot wide from the edge of the box.

Both sides had opportunities from free kicks. Roman Michael-Percil had two goes at Oyenuga before being penalised, but the free kick was headed clear.

Then Taylor fouled Grant who took the kick himself only for the ball to run harmlessly through to keeper Oliver Pain.

Another Grant free kick from the edge of the area was also gathered by Pain.

Andrew Jenkinson last barely half an hour for his new club before picking up an injury and being replaced by Orlando Smith on 32 minutes.

When Bogdan Vastsuk was fouled in the centre circle Referee, Matt Lee played
the advantage, but drew unwanted attention to himself when the attack broke down, by booking Salmon.

Protests from the home players and bench led Mr Lee to consult his assistant and then book Neil Barrett. He appeared to indicate that he had booked Salmon by mistake.

The remainder of the half plus two added minutes saw Boro’ come close on two occasions. Josh Gallagher shot from distance with the ball just clearing the angle of bar and post, then good play between Vastsuk and Oli led to Grant shooting over from the edge of the box.

For the home side, Leon Smith hit a ball across the face of goal and out of play.

Charlie Allen almost had the last word when running into the box, but Salmon just got in a challenge and managed to collide with his own keeper in doing so. The ball ran safe.

HALF TIME: Metropolitan Police 0-0 Farnborough

A fairly even half in which Boro’ enjoyed good possession and created more opportunities.

Significantly, neither side had an attempt on target in open play and the two keepers were only called into action when free kicks ran through to them or was played back to them.

The second half started at 4:05pm and almost at once controversy almost created a chance for the home side. A throw on the right was awarded to them when it should have been Boro’s, but fortunately, an off-side flag intervened when the final ball was played through.

Seemingly encouraged by this Met Police applied pressure and a Sutherland cross was well caught by Aaron Bufton who fell awkwardly and required attention.

Bufton was soon in action again, punching clear another cross before Leon Smith shot wide of the post.

At the other end Mutero played Charlie Allen in but he was at full stretch and Pain was able to gather.

The game then really came to life when Dennis Oli gained possession on the half way line and set off to run half the length of the pitch brushing aside several challenges before neatly side footing wide of Pain for the opening goal on 57 minutes. Metropolitan Police 0-1 Farnborough.

Boro’ replaced Mutero with Ryan Zidyana on 58 minutes.

The home side equalised just five minutes after falling behind when Collins shot home following a cross from the left on 62 minutes. Metropolitan Police 1-1 Farnborough.

The next few minutes saw considerable pressure from the home side and Bufton made two double saves in quick succession to avoid a further breach of Boro’s defences.

John Oyenuga fell badly and was forced to hobble off after attention. He was replaced by Usman Adeniji on 65 minutes.

Finally, Boro’ cleared and Dennis Oli made another good run down the left and his cross found Bogdan Vastsuk well positioned and he thumped the ball across Oliver Pain and into the far corner of the net on 68 minutes. Metropolitan Police 1-2 Farnborough.


Top-scorer, Bogdan Vastsuk netted his 12th League goal of the Season

Adeniji was booked for kicking the ball away, though there was no real speed or distance involved more a case of prodding the ball back for the free kick.

Minutes later there was a case of ‘handbags’ between Jack Smith and Steve Sutherland which initially went virtually unnoticed as it was off the ball. Mr Lee spoke with his Assistant before speaking with both players. No cards involved.

Boro’ were looking to increase their lead and Oli again went close.

Met Police replaced Ryan James with Jay Lovett on 80 minutes.

Bufton pulled off a great reflex save following a clever flick from close in by Leon Smith.

Denis Oli was rightly applauded when he picked up an injury and was forced to leave the field. He was replaced by Josh Francis on 84 minutes and the home side then made their final change when Jon Nurse replaced Leon Smith.

Aaron Bufton palmed the ball over at full stretch from right under his bar just before the 90 minutes were up and Boro’ fans then had to endure a further four nervous minutes of added time.

However, they defended sensibly and the home side only had one real chance in added time when Jon Nurse shot high and wide.

FULL TIME: Metropolitan Police 1-2 Farnborough

Attendance 102 (and I estimate at least 30% were Boro’ fans).

A good team effort, two great goals and at last, the away win. Everyone played a part but it would be wrong not to mention another fine effort from Aaron Bufton who made several crucial saves enabling us to claim the points.

Let’s hope the injuries sustained are not too serious and that we can continue the momentum of the last two games.

Match Report by Tony Duff.


BRILLIANT BUFTON: The Boro’ shot-stopper is jubilant at full time

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: