Allen keeps Boro’s hopes alive

The Tanners kicked off right on time and it was quickly apparent that the game would be played at a lively pace with both sides looking for an early advantage.

Boro’ were first to go close after just 5 minutes when Keith Emmerson shot from outside the area only for his effort, which had beaten Wells, to be kicked off the line.

Leatherhead then enjoyed a good spell of domination which tested the Boro’ defence and saw them create several good chances.

Hughes-Mason had a half chance from 10 yards out, but shot well over, then Adeloye headed over from a right wing cross before Emmerson blocked another cross out for a corner.

When Green put Hughes-Mason away on the left, his cross somehow passed right through the area and went safe.

Hughes-Mason bore down again on goal but Minter was alert and gathered the ball at his feet to avert the danger.

Boro’ cleared another attack and countered quickly giving Barton an opportunity for a shot which Wells could only parry, but the follow up was cleared.

Frannie Collin shot from distance and Boro’ fans held their breath when the ball appeared to slip through Minter’s fingers but the keeper was quick to turn and gather before it crossed the line.

Boro’ were starting to look a bit more threatening on the break and when Battie hit a good long ball out to Dennis Oli on the right the big centre forward made good progress, beat two defenders and cut inside before a good cross saw Charlie Allen put Boro’ ahead with a good finish after 26 minutes. Leatherhead 0-1 Farnborough.

Following another attack from the Tanners, CJ Fearn did well to avert danger with a good block which resulted in a corner on the right.

However, Boro’ came close to increasing their lead when a poor clearance from Wells fell to Battie about 35 yards out. His attempt to lob the keeper seemed destined to succeed, but Wells scrambled back and managed to tip the ball over for a corner.

Battie had another attempt tipped over by the keeper from the resultant corner.

Steve Watt was shown yellow for a trip on Oli as he looked to burst through on goal.

Freddie Grant’s free kick into the 6 yard box was gratefully grabbed by Wells.

Oyenuga was judged to have stopped Hughes-Mason unfairly to the left side of the area, but the free kick was cleared.

Boro’ looked dangerous again when Allen brought the ball out of defence and made progress before finding Oyenuga down the right side before his cross dropped just over the bar.

The final 5 minutes of the half saw the home side pushing hard for an equaliser and forced three corners in quick succession when Minter tipped over from both Frankie Collin and Jerry Nnamani.

On the stroke of half time Barton won a corner won the right and Wells kept out Jack Smith’s header.

HALF TIME: Leatherhead 0-1 Farnborough

The home side enjoyed a good deal of possession but Boro’ defended well and punished them on the break.

Both keepers made a number of telling saves which kept the score down to single goal.

The second period got away at 4:03pm with the home side quickly on the attack and Ryan Mahal twisted his way past defenders on the right of the area before Minter got down well to turn his shot round for a corner.

When CJ blocked out an advance on the right, the ball came out to Cash who shot over from 18 yards.

CJ and Minter collided as the keeper caught a cross, but CJ was able to continue after treatment.

With Tanners attacking down the left Cash called for the ball, but when he received it he shot well wide of the target from 20 yards.

Collin received a pass with his back to goal in the area, he turned well enough but his shot was much too high.

Referee, Matt Eva, delayed a Boro’ goal kick to run half the length of the pitch and have words with Tanners keeper, Louis Wells who had been coming well down the field as far as the half way line and being very vocal. Very strange.

The Tanners made a change replacing Adeloye with Walsh on 72 minutes.

Following a booking for Jack Smith, Emmerson had a shot which was only just wide of goal.

Boro’ replaced Jack Battie with Ollie Bailey on 80 minutes and the Tanners replaced Campbell with Okoh on 83 minutes.

With the clock running down Leatherhead were pushing hard to get level and Terrell Forbes cleared an effort off the line to keep Boro’ in front.

Boro’ were given a free kick near the right touchline and Grant was booked for moving the ball forward a couple of feet. Wells saved by blocking the free kick and Charlie Allen came close to a second goal with a follow up effort.

The remaining time seemed to go on for ages, but finally Mr Eva blew his whistle.

FULL TIME: Leatherhead 0-1 Farnborough

As players approached each other at the end things got a little out of hand. Louis Wells appeared to run towards a bunch of celebrating Boro’ players and soon all players were jostling one another and both benches came on to
calm things down.

So far as I could see the Referee took no action, but may of course have made comments in his report.

A pity the game ended as it did as although it had been keenly contested, it had never been in any way a dirty game.

Another great away win for Boro’. Difficult to believe it’s barely a month since the long awaited first away win at Met Police, yet now we have witnessed five consecutive away wins which have given us a real chance of avoiding a double

Too early to count chickens, but with Brentwood relegated and two home games to finish our season, we must have a good chance of getting ahead of Needham who have just one game left and head us by a single point.

Well done lads, let’s keep the momentum going to the very end.

Match Report by Tony Duff.


LEADING THE WAY: Captain, CJ Fearn celebrates with Jack Barton at full time

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: