“High Five” for Boro’

Boro’ found an extra gear in exacting adequate revenge for the 3-1 defeat in the reverse fixture a couple of months ago.

Lining up with new signings Terrell Forbes and Dennis Oli in the starting eleven, Freddie Grant returning and Aaron Bufton now seemingly back as the number one keeper it was tempting to think the team had a solid look about it.

Both sides named a bench of four with the visitors including Manager Mark Bentley but, notably, no reserve keeper.

Grays Athletic got the game under way at 3:01pm playing towards the PRE and immediately mounted an attack down the left but the ball ran through to Bufton.

The Boro’ keeper was soon in action again coming quickly off his line to claim the ball when Fortnam-Tomlinson ran through strongly.

Ten minutes in the game almost produced a freak goal. Vastsuk crossed from the right with the box bereft of Boro’ forwards and took a wicked bounce in the sanded goalmouth which caused it to turn in towards goal. A rather surprised Lamar Johnson was relieved when he grabbed it in time to prevent it crossing the line.

A neat Boro’ move on the left saw Grant’s cross put out for a corner and when further good play from Allen and Vastsuk saw a good cross into the box Grays Athletic were happy to lump the ball clear.

The visitors then enjoyed a brief spell in which they created chances.

Bufton saved from Ifil, diving low to his right and a minute later Ifil received a square pass from the left but was well wide from 20 yards.

After a Boro’ free kick ran through to the keeper, Allen was only just short of reaching a Grant cross from the left and a cross from Dennis Oli drifted out for a goal kick.

The pressure was soon to pay dividends for Boro’ and neat work by Vastsuk saw his effort blocked, but fall nicely for Allen who made no mistake with a neat finish into the bottom left corner on 34 minutes. Farnborough 1-0 Grays Athletic.

Following some end to end play Grays Athletic livened up for the final five minutes of the half. A free kick on the left edge of the area was punched away by Bufton and with a minute remaining a further free kick was headed out by Smith and cleared.

The one added minute notified by Mr Kane failed to have any impression on the scoreline.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 1-0 Grays Athletic

A half which neither side dominated for long, but Boro’ appeared solid in defence and showed enough promise when attacking to give hope that the second half had more to offer for home fans.

The second period got away at 4:05pm and Grays Athletic were first to threaten when the lively Carlos crossed from the left and a good downward header from Fortnam-Tomlinson appeared to be going in when CJ did well to clear.

This seemed to galvanise Boro’s minds and within a few minutes following a free kick on the edge of the area saw a great shot from Grant tipped out for a corner by Johnson.

A second corner followed and was cleared.

Vastsuk shot narrowly wide before a quick break down the left by Grays Athletic came to nothing when Carlos ran the ball over for a goal kick.

Boro’ were quickly back on the offensive and Jenkinson had a good effort on target which Johnson did well to palm over for a corner.

The kick resulted in the ball criss-crossing the 6 yard before CJ got in a header which the keeper saved.

A good ball from Oli saw Vastsuk ruled off-side then Boro’ put Grays Athletic goal under sustained pressure.

Bogdan Vastsuk had another shot punched out before a cross from Oli had Freddie Grant slamming a shot against the bar.


The adventurous Freddie Grant struck the bar for Boro’

Finally, the constant pressure paid off and a deft touch from Vastsuk saw Boro’ double their lead on 62 minutes. Farnborough 2-0 Grays Athletic.

Grays Athletic replaced Davidson with Moses on 63 minutes.

Minutes later, Oli was running clear on goal only for Johnson to rush out of his area and bring the big centre forward down. Johnson received a straight red card for what was a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Grays Athletic were presented with a problem having no keeper on the bench and after some delay replaced Agyemang with Bentley who went in goal on 66 minutes.

The visitors made a final change on 71 minutes with skipper Beaney being replaced by Ekipeta.

Following a yellow card for Forbes, the visitors had five minutes when they put some pressure on the Boro’ defence.

A Siva free kick was partly cleared but Bufton got a good punch on the second attempt. Siva and Carlos took far too much time exchanging square passes along the Boro’ area and the danger was cleared.

Next, Bufton was quickly out to clear danger just outside the area on the right.

Boro’ regrouped and went on the attack again and Vastsuk had another shot blocked out for a corner with a similar result when Jenkinson met the corner.

It was only a matter of time before Boro’s efforts paid dividends and Bogdan Vastsuk nipped in at the near post to head home Grant’s inch perfect corner to claim his second and Boro’s third of the game on 80 minutes. Farnborough 3-0 Grays Athletic.

Vastsuk was almost through again but stand in keeper Bentley was quickly out to clear.

However, in a couple of minutes, Dennis Oli ran clear from a quick throw and coolly slotted home past Bentley in the 86th minute. Just reward for his efforts. Farnborough 4-0 Grays Athletic.


Striker, Dennis Oli capped off a fine debut with a goal infront of the PRE

A Boro’ substitution saw Ryan Zidyana on for Charlie Allen on 86 minutes.

Boro’ made two further changes replacing John Oyenuga with Usman Adeniji and Terrell Forbes making way for Harry Knight on 87 minutes.

There was still more to come and when Symons brought down Vastsuk in the area he became the second Grays Athletic player to see red. Then Bentley was booked for dissent.

Bogdan Vastsuk fittingly slotted home the Penalty to claim a well deserved hat-trick on 90 minutes. Farnborough 5-0 Grays Athletic.

Despite continuing to attack Boro’ were unable to add further to their total in the four added minutes.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 5-0 Grays Athletic

Two M.O.M. awards selected by Match Sponsors were: Ryan Richefond (Grays Athletic) and Bogdan Vastsuk (Farnborough).

A good all round performance and a great result. Not since our delayed opening game of the season have I had the pleasure of reporting on a result like this.

This squad is looking comfortable on today’s performance and the damage had been done before Grays Athletic had anyone sent off.

There are still 27 points to play for and a long awaited away win to achieve. Who knows?

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: