A nervous, but successful start to the new campaign.

Boro’ finished with 3 points but it should have been more comfortable.

The visitors got the game away at 3:01pm, but Boro’ were first to threaten when Smith was only marginally off-side with just the keeper to beat, then Jack Barton tested Harris in the Bedford Town goal with a low shot from distance.

As the sides settled into their stride it was Boro’ who struck first when Eddie Smith found space on the right and opened the scoring with a good finish from a tight angle after 7 minutes. Farnborough 1-0 Bedford Town.

With Boro’ continuing to attack they doubled their lead after just 11 minutes when Luke Knight, standing on the goal line, clearly prevented the ball from crossing the line with his right hand. Referee, Craig Robinson, was well positioned and didn’t hesitate in awarding a penalty. Smith duly despatched the kick to double his tally for the afternoon on 11 minutes. Farnborough 2-0 Bedford Town.

Knight was rightly shown a Red card.

Lee Hawkes reduced the arrears after 17 minutes when he followed up after Driscoll had blocked a low effort from Watson on 17 minutes. Farnborough 2-1 Bedford Town.

Despite their being a man to the good, Boro’ weren’t able to take advantage and, as often happens, the side with ten men were able to cause a few problems.

Just ahead of the break Ciardini came close to a third Boro’ goal but having been put through by Emmerson, his low shot was blocked by Harris.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 2-1 Bedford Town

Boro’ deserved their slender lead, but clearly needed to tighten up in the second period and make their numerical advantage count.

Second half away at 4:04pm with Bedford Town having replaced Hawkes with Peters.

Early on, Driscoll saved well at the expense of a corner to keep Boro’ ahead.

Josh Huggins had a decent header from a cross by Osano saved by the keeper.

The visitors went forward and with the Boro’ defence standing off, Watson took full advantage and crashed home the equaliser from the edge of the box on 52 minutes. Farnborough 2-2 Bedford Town.

This saw Boro’ redouble their efforts and just two minutes later Dennis Oli restored their lead from close range on 54 minutes. Farnborough 3-2 Bedford Town.


Farnborough players celebrate what turned out to be the winning goal

Oli was replaced by Cureton after 60 minutes.

Driscoll saved well from Watson’s close range header then Bedford Town replaced Beech with Boland on 65 minutes.

With neither side seemingly able to get a grip on things both teams made further changes after 77 minutes. Bedford Town brought on Josh Bamford for Phil Draycott and Boro’ introduced Jack Battie for John Oyenuga who had taken some rough handling throughout the game.

With five minutes left, new signing Jamie Cureton had a great chance to mark his first appearance with a goal. Through on goal, with time to pick his spot, he hit a rather weak shot disappointingly wide of the keeper’s right post.

The remaining time was a somewhat nervous period for Boro’ fans not least when Bedford Town were awarded a free kick just outside the area in a central position. However, the Boro’ wall stood firm and the effort was blocked.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 3-2 Bedford Town

Not a game for the purist, with both sides making unforced errors and Boro’ not able to take full advantage of their extra man. However, three points from our opening game is not to be sneezed at and things will surely improve as players get more competitive time together.

Come on you Yellooowsaa!

Match Report by Tony Duff.


Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: