Boro’s finale ends well after a nervy start.

Looking to round off their season with by continuing their recent great run of form, Boro were forced to change their line-up by the suspension of Jack Smith.

His place in the centre of defence was filled by Keith Emmerson and Josh Gallagher returned in midfield.

Boro’ got the game under way right on 3:00pm and initially made a positive start.

Twice in the opening few minutes they made good progress on the Brentwood Town goal when, firstly, Bailey and Gallagher exchanged passes but Gallagher was muscled off the ball as he shaped to get his shot away, then a cross from the left saw Bailey challenge for the ball near to the post but a free kick was given in favour of Ollie Bowles, the Brentwood Town keeper.

The next 15 minutes saw the visitors very much on the front foot. They were playing some neat football and putting the Boro’ defence under pressure.

Minter made a decent save from an Elbi volley and Oyenuga was having a real battle with Bantick down the Brentwood Town left, but stuck to his task well.

Bailey spent a good deal of time tracking back to bolster the defence and his terrier like approach saw him penalised, but not booked.

Boro’s attacks were spasmodic and their passing lacked the precision of recent games.

Their only chances came from set pieces with a Battie free kick, after a foul on Grant, being cleared, and when Bailey was fouled on the edge of the area Battie again stepped up but shot just over.

Boro’ took the lead somewhat against the run of play with a freakish goal. An attempted clearance by Bowles cannoned off a defender and ended up with Oyenuga out on the right touchline. The wing back got almost to the byline before hitting a high cross into the middle and the further it travelled the nearer it got to the goal. Bowles flapped at the ball, got a slight touch but could not prevent it crossing the line after 21 minutes. Farnborough 1-0 Brentwood Town.

Neither side created much in the way of clear chances, but when Allen was rather harshly adjudged to have handled just outside the area, Sam Cross hit a decent shot which Minter tipped over the bar.

A good cross from the right found Sam Bantick, but Oyenuga was quick to react and put the ball out for a corner.

A Charlie Allen cross found Grant but his left footed effort curved well clear of the post.

Bailey was put in possession just inside the area, but shot too high.

When a Boro’ clearance fell nicely for Hahn, his volley was well wide.

Just before the break Hahn had another chance this time teeing up a shot from distance, but this time the effort was too high.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 1-0 Brentwood Town

Brentwood Town had played some decent football which belied the fact that they had already been relegated, but were not able to capitalise on their chances.

Boro’, after a rather nervous start, had gained in confidence as the half went on and deserved their slender lead if only for a stout defensive display.

The second period began at 4:02pm and the visitors made a change, bringing on Simon Glover to replace skipper Ryan O’Rawe.

Brentwood Town had a promising attack early on which was halted when Freeman was caught offside.

Jack Battie came close twice in a couple of minutes. A free kick following a foul on Grant, curled just over from 30 yards before he was put through by Bailey before shooting narrowly wide.

Charlie Allen was next to get a couple of chances. His first was a rather hasty shot which came off the outside of his boot and curved so much it went out for a throw on the left.

His next attempt saw him come forward and try to lob Bowles, but lack sufficient height and the keeper was just able to save.

Both sides made changes on 68 minutes; Brentwood Town replacing Petrit Elbi with Tom Richardson and Boro’ replaced Jack Battie, who had hardly stopped running, with Matt Ball.

Ball was soon to have a go and shot over from distance before Brentwood Town exerted further pressure which saw Terrell Forbes, then John Oyenuga forced to concede corners.

The first was cleared and the second well gathered by Melvin Minter.

Although still only a goal up Boro’ were looking more likely to score and it wasn’t long coming.

A good ball over the defence found Dennis Oli in a crowded area and, showing good control for a big man, he turned in virtually no space before rifling a left foot shot past Bowles on 78 minutes. Farnborough 2-0 Brentwood Town.


ALL SMILES: Freddie Grant celebrates after Dennis Oli doubled Boro’s lead

The second goal gave Boro’ breathing space and they played with more freedom looking likely to add to their tally.

Connor Witherspoon was rightly booked for deliberate handball and Freddie Grant’s free kick was tipped over by Bowles.

With 5 minutes of normal time left, Dennis Oli, who had been carrying an injury and looked exhausted, was applauded off and replaced with Jack Barton.

Boro’ kept on the attack and when Freddie Grant was hauled down in the area Referee Matt Corlett pointed to the spot.

Grant sent Bowles the wrong way off his short run up and smashed the ball into the opposite corner on 87 minutes. Farnborough 3-0 Brentwood Town.

Ollie Bailey pulled the ball back to Matt Ball who shot over, then with the 90 minutes almost up both sides made final substitutions.

Brentwood Town brought on Kevin Watson for Mitch Hahn and Boro’ replaced Charlie Allen with Dean Joseph-Whittingham.

Three minutes added time were flagged up, but in contrast to recent games there was to be no nail biting late flurry of goals and time was played out quietly and sensibly.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 3-0 Brentwood Town

By no means a classic, but a fitting end to the final few weeks of our season which had seen Boro’ rack up 25 points from a possible 30 and achieve the improbable ‘Great Escape’ Well done to all involved.

Following the final whistle, Bob Perry of FaST presented the fans player of the year award to skipper CJ Fearn. A well deserved and clearly popular choice which was the prelude to more celebrations from the players.

It’s been a long topsy turvey season.- enjoy the Summer break and I suspect I won’t be the only one looking forward to what lies ahead.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Farnborough Football Club would like to say a massive thank you to Tony Duff for taking the time to write detailed Match Reports on our Home and Away games throughout the Season.


Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: