Narrow win keeps Boro’ top of the pile.

Boro’ were without John Oyenuga who apparently has had more problems after losing a tooth in a recent match and the bench included two less than familiar names.

The visitors got the game under way a little after 3:00pm but Boro’ were soon on the attack.

Referee, Stephen Graham, set the tone for the afternoon when he awarded two free kicks to AFC Dunstable in the opening minutes for what seemed to be normal challenges.

The first real threat came after five minutes when keeper Ricky Perks was forced to concede a corner to prevent Perry Coles from opening the scoring.

Jack Barton sent over a decent corner which passed across the face of goal without anyone able to get a touch.

Boro’ continued to pressure the visitors defence and were awarded a penalty when Nic Ciardini twisted his way into the area only to be flattened.

Sam Pearce took the spot kick and made no mistake after 10 minutes. Farnborough 1-0 AFC Dunstable.

Just three minutes later Boro’ doubled their lead when Pearce met a left side corner with a firm header which gave Perks no chance on 13 minutes. Farnborough 2-0 AFC Dunstable.

It looked as if the floodgates were about to open and it wasn’t long before Ricky Perks was forced to smother the ball at the feet of Dennis Oli when it looked as if the big fella would get number three.

The visitors were making the occasional threat on the break and from one such attempt struck the post and Ollie Treacher blocked the follow up.

Just before the half hour a good move saw Oli slip the ball to Sam Shaban to put him through on goal but somehow he managed to miss the target. He will no doubt feel he should have done better.

Boro’ continued to dominate and at times the AFC Dunstable goal led a charmed life as defenders truly put their bodies on the line to prevent falling further behind.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 2-0 AFC Dunstable

The second half began at 4:03pm with Brandon Carney having replaced Terry Griffiths at the interval.

Five minutes in to the half Dennis Oli was booked on the far side, but it was difficult to see what for although visiting players were tending to go to ground at the slightest contact.

Boro’ were awarded a second penalty when Bishop brought down Ciardini.

James Bishop got a yellow card, but, with the chance to seal his hat-trick, Sam Pearce blazed over the bar.

The game was far more end to end at this stage and both keepers were called into action. Aaron Bufton punching clear a cross and Perks catching a Boro’ corner.

Lewis Hayden replaced Jack Barton who had received a knock and was on a yellow card on 74 minutes.

Perry Coles and Josh Huggins combined well down the right and Huggins’ cross was met by Nic Ciardini but his attempt cannoned off the bar and was scrambled away.

With ten minutes remaining Bernard Christie finished off a good move to pull a goal back for the visitors. Farnborough 2-1 AFC Dunstable.

This made for a fairly tense finale which included five additional minutes.

Bishop was dismissed following a second yellow, and Jordan Goater replaced Sam Shaban for Farnborough on 89 minutes.

Boro’ for the most part saw out the remaining time in a sensible fashion to make sure of the points.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 2-1 AFC Dunstable.

Having dominated for most of the game and missed chances to draw further ahead, the three points seem more valuable as in the past, similar situations have ended with a share of the points, or none at all.

We remain top of the table on goal difference and must now make sure there are no slip ups at Fleet Town on Boxing day.

Merry Christmas.

Come on you Yelloowsaa!!

Match Report by Tony Duff.


Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: