Farnborough pass Scholars test

Boro’ get three more home points.

Having lost a bit of ground with a narrow defeat at Marlow on Tuesday, Boro’ were looking to get back on track with a home win against mid table Potters Bar Town.

The visitors got the game under way at 3:02pm but Boro’ gained possession almost immediately and were a goal up in the first minute.

A good ball found Perry Coles inside the area on the right and the in form centre-forward calmly looped the ball diagonally over Ravan Constable into the top corner after a minute. Farnborough 1-0 Potters Bar Town.

Dennis Oli almost caught Constable knapping from 30 yards with the keeper just managing to scramble back and grab the ball high above his head.

Nic Ciardini also came close from 12 yards with his effort being just too high.

Chris Doyle was first to threaten for the visitors when, following a free kick, his 25 yarder was parried then caught by Aaron Bufton.

Nic Ciardini’s cross from the left was met by Charlie Allen but his effort found the side netting.

However, minutes later, Allen again met a cross and side footed home from close in to double Boro’s lead on 22 minutes. Farnborough 2-0 Potters Bar Town.

John Oyenuga was booked and the free kick from the corner of the area was cleared at the expense of a corner.

Nic Ciardini put Dennis Oli away and his cross into the area was hoofed out for a corner.

Boro’ were comfortably dominating play and the visitors, though playing some decent football at times, were restricted to the occasional long range effort.

Just before the break Perry Coles shot just over from 10 yards and Danny Hart hit a blockbuster from some way out which Aaron Bufton was able to watch fly harmlessly three yards wide of his post.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 2-0 Potters Bar Town

Boro’ were well worth their lead, but more than a few supporters would no doubt be recalling that twice recently we had been in a similar position at this stage only for things to go wrong in the second half.

Boro’ began the second period in a determined fashion and Dennis Oli  had a shot while off balance, which bobbled wide.

Then, having worked himself into a decent position, Nic Ciardini could only find the side netting from a tight angle.

Potters Bar Town replaced Danny Hart with Jack Lyons on 64 minutes.

Chris Doyle was wide with another shot from distance.

Boro’ replaced Dennis Oli , who is still suffering some discomfort from his rib injury, with Jordan Goater after 70 minutes.

Lamar Simpson was well wide following a blocked clearance and was replaced almost at once by Aaron McCardle on 72 minutes.

With ten minutes of normal time left, Aaron Bufton punched clear a cross  from the left and shortly afterwards Eion Casey’s header went harmlessly over the bar.

Boro’ replaced Nic Ciardini with Sam Shaban on 82 minutes.

The last eight minutes or so of normal time saw a good cross from Jack Barton put out for a corner and yet another long distance effort, this time from  Chris Doyle, fly wide of the mark.

Sam Shaban had a shot deflected for a corner before Boro’ made their final change with Charlie Allen making way for Lewis Hayden on 88 minutes.

Referee, Martin Bloor, who had given a number of free kicks for minimal contact, booked Jack Barton for a sliding tackle near half way. He clearly played the ball and while both feet appeared to stay on the ground, the Referee clearly felt it was too robust.

While the Referee had not indicated the amount of stoppage time, he proceeded to add a little over six minutes.

Boro’ played sensibly during added time with CJ on one occasion holding up play in the corner before finally getting a cross over which was finally headed clear.

The very last action saw Aaron Bufton diving to his left to save a free kick from Michael Murray and preserve a clean sheet.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 2-0 Potters Bar Town

A good team performance from Boro’ who looked more organised and clearly determined, on this occasion, not to throw away a two goal lead. Well done.

Boro’ remain in second spot 4 points behind Royston Town with a game in hand and a goal difference the better by seven.

It’s pretty tight at the top and with  three months of the season gone we could be in for an interesting finale come next March/April.

Three more points against Northwood next Saturday would help.

Come on you Yelloowsaa!!

Match Report by Tony Duff.


Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: