Beavers too strong for out of sorts Boro’

Following their recent good form Boro’ were disappointingly off colour in this clash with table topping Hampton & Richmond Borough.

Both sides started tentatively, but Boro’ were far too sloppy giving the ball away the ball away much too easily and struggling to find a yellow shirt with their passes.

In truth, the visitors were not that convincing, but still managed to take the lead after 14 minutes when Hutchinson struck home following a corner on the left. Farnborough 0-1 Hampton & Richmond Borough.

Beavers, buoyed by their opener, proceeded to dominate for most of the remaining 30 minutes of the half and Bufton was called upon to keep the score down on several occasions.

Notably, when Hutchinson threatened after being put through by Kiernan the keeper saved well at the expense of a corner which saw him block again and gather.

Boro’s rare attacks caused the visitors little cause for concern and Ollie Bailey, who never stopped running, did raise hopes when winning the ball and bearing down on goal, but his touch deserted him allowing Mark Smith to gather.

It came as no great surprise when the Beavers doubled their advantage on 38 minutes. With Boro’ failing to clear their lines a neat chip over two defenders by Kabamba, allowed Kiernan to finish well into the right corner. Farnborough 0-2 Hampton & Richmond Borough.

With time running down, Boro’ had two efforts go close. Charlie Allen sent a lob just over, then a Freddie Grant free kick about 30 yards out, curled nicely but was too high. The half saw a minute of added time pass without incident.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 0-2 Hampton & Richmond Borough

A poor 45 minutes for Boro’ who, despite a few attempts, failed to trouble the visiting keeper. The visitors showed glimpses of why they top the table without total domination.

The second period got under way at 4:03pm with Boro’ replacing Dean Joseph-Whittingham with Harry Knight.

Within a couple of minutes of the restart the game was as good as over. The visitors were awarded a free kick (not sure what for) and Diarra was quick to pounce and rifle a shot past Bufton from close in on 47 minutes. Farnborough 0-3 Hampton & Richmond Borough.

Murphy had a chance following a free kick, but Bufton gathered just under his cross bar.

Boro’ had a couple of chances from free kicks when Ball hit his kick beyond the far post. Allen was brought down after a good run down the left, but the free kick found Boro’ forwards caught off-side.

A challenge by Grant on Beere, resulted in a free kick for the visitors and both players receiving treatment.

Matt Ball was just too high from the edge of the area and Boro’ made a second change replacing Dennis Oli with Trevor Mutero on 70 minutes.

Beavers replaced Soloman with Hicks on 75 minutes.

Kabamba looked certain to increase his side’s lead but fluffed his final touch and Bufton was able to gather.

With 10 minutes left a clash near the edge of the Boro’ area appeared to have been waved on by Referee Johnson, but he then called play back and showed Jack Smith a straight red. Allegedly for ‘foul and abusive language’.

Both sides made further substitutions with Adeniji replacing Allen on 81 minutes and the visitors replaced Kabamba with Moone on 87 minutes.

Three minutes were added by the referee and Bufton blocked well from Moone before Beere hit the rebound over from 6 yards.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 0-3 Hampton & Richmond Borough

Not a good day for Boro’ while the visitors were able to consolidate their position at the top of the table.

Boro’ will need to gather themselves before facing Kingstonian away on Monday night with games running out if they are to achieve the “great escape”.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: