Boro’ brushed aside by Billericay

Boro’ having gained a decent point against Dulwich Hamlet on Saturday were ready for another battle against 6th placed Billericay Town who, by contrast, had been held at home by Kingstonian in a drab goalless draw.

For the opening fifteen minutes Boro’ were in the driving seat and created a couple of good chances.

As early as the 2nd minutes a Freddie Grant free kick gave Giddens a problem as he fumbled the ball just under the bar, but he managed to recover and clear before a Boro’ player could force it over the line.

A good ball from Barnes-Homer out to Oyenuga on the right saw the final cross hoofed out for a throw.

In a rare Billericay Town attack Hubble hit a speculative looping shot from way out which was too high.

Jenkinson and Vastsuk combined well down the left and won a throw. Quickly taken to Grant gave him the chance to make a good cross into the box where he found Gallagher only for the number 8 to shoot over from about 15 yards.

The visitors broke down the right and a low hard cross from Cox somehow managed to pass right through the area and out for a throw on the far side.

With Boro’ committed to another attack a quick clearance by the visitors found Minter rather exposed and the keeper was forced to rush to the very edge of his area where a rather clumsy challenge on Hubble led to Referee, Michael Lowe pointing to the penalty spot and showing the keeper a yellow card. It could have been worse if the challenge had not been so wide of the goal.

Despite getting a touch on the ball, Minter was unable to prevent Poole’s kick from ending up in the net to give Billericay Town the lead on 21 minutes. Farnborough 0-1 Billericay Town.

The set back saw Boro’ press forward again and dominate for much of the remainder of the half. Vastsuk had a shot on target deflected for a corner, then a Jenkinson free kick into the 6 yard box was fumbled by Giddens and a real scramble ensued before the visitors finally cleared their lines.

Vastsuk had another effort blocked, this time the ball rebounding way out for a throw.

Freddie Grant’s free kick from the corner of the area was on target but was hoofed well over the bar for a corner by Williams.

The resultant kick found Jenkinson who got a shot away which was saved by Giddens.

Grant was booked for a foul mid-way into the Boro’ half on the right and the free kick into the box led to a shot from close in which was well saved by Minter.

A Boro’ free kick on the right in midfield was cleared but only as far as Pearce, but his rather hurried shot flew well wide.

Monville was booked just before the interval.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 0-1 Billericay Town

Despite dominating play for best part of the half, Boro’ were unable to find the net and trail by the single penalty goal.

The second period got away at 8:50pm with Boro’ having replaced CJ Fearn (injured) with Reece Simpson.

The Boro’ substitute lost no time in making his mark and was booked for a foul within two minutes of the restart. The free kick was headed wide by Derry.

The visitors were pressing hard for the opening few minutes and forced a couple of corners without losing a serious threat.

It was then Boro’ who turned the heat up and forced three corners in quick succession. The first from the right saw Smith’s shot deflected over for another which was in turn headed over for a third which saw a Barnes-Homer’s effort headed off the line.

Billericay Town replaced Derry with Fondop-Talom on 61 minutes.

Vastsuk slipped the ball to Barnes-Homer who turned and shot from the edge of the box but too high.

A cross from the right was blasted out of the ground by Cox, then Boro’ came close to an equaliser.

Giddens had come some way out before clearing upfield and the ball was collected by Bogdan Vastsuk in the centre circle. The Estonian Under 21 International was quick to spot Giddens out of his goal and let fly with deadly accuracy only for the keeper to back pedal at speed and claw the ball out from under the bar for a corner. A great effort from Vastsuk which deserved better, but credit also to Giddens for his recovery.

A poor kick from hand saw Minter needing to stretch in order to block a shot out for a corner. The keeper looked to have picked up an injury in the process.

Grant put Vastsuk through on the left where he cut inside and let fly with a shot which was just too high.

The visitors had a good chance on 70 minutes when Fondop-Talom chested the ball into the path of Hubble who blazed high and wide of the target.

Billericay Town replaced Cox with Sodje after 73 minutes and the big number 16 almost made an immediate impact when put through on goal causing Minter to come out and block.

Boro’ made a double substitution on 75 minutes with Adeniji replacing Oyenuga and Bufton replacing the injured Minter.

Minutes later Billericay Town doubled their advantage in rather fortunate fashion when a long clearance down the right found Sodje who was clearly off-side. However, the Linesman on that side was not up with play and he was allowed to go on and score with a shot which gave Bufton no chance on 78 minutes. Farnborough 0-2 Billericay Town.

Boro’ renewed their efforts in an attempt to at least get a consolation, but it was not to be and the visitors defence held firm and played out the remaining time with the help of a final substitution which saw Diallo replaced by Abdul on 86 mins.

The 4 minutes of added time contained little of note except for a wild effort from Monville which was almost as high as it was wide.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 0-2 Billericay Town

Again, Boro’ competed well enough against a top six side but were not able to turn periods of domination into goals.

I understand that the officials admitted their error over allowing the visitor’s second goal and offered apologies. An honest enough gesture, but little consolation. At least it didn’t affect the result.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: