Boro’ battle for another precious point.

With today’s visitors still looking to make the play-off places Boro’ couldn’t hope for an easy ride as they continue their quest for points to avoid a double relegation.

With Charlie Allen playing his last game before setting off on his travels, it was pleasing to see injury doubts Dennis Oli and John Oyenuga make the starting line-up and with Josh Gallagher starting a four match suspension it was good timing for Matt Ball to return on loan until the end of the season.

The match began on time with the visitors playing towards the PRE and the opening half an hour saw some typical end to end play with neither side able to dominate.

Chances were few and again fairly evenly apportioned. Boro’ were first to pose a threat when a good long ball from Merrick James-Lewis found Oyenuga wide on the right and his cross was headed narrowly wide by Dennis Oli.

Aaron Bufton gathered well, low to his left, following an Enfield Town corner and when Da Cruz looked to have beaten Bufton, Freddie Grant headed off the line.


Freddie Grant stands firm on the front post for Farnborough

Dennis Oli had another effort bounce off the chest of the Enfield Town keeper, McDonald who later just managed to reach a looping header from the same player.

Ottaway fired over from the edge of the area, then Oli made another chance when he cut inside on the left, but his shot lacked power and was no trouble for McDonald.

Just before the break both sides came close to breaking the deadlock. Oli slipped the ball through to Bogdan Vastsuk putting him one on one with McDonald, but the keeper spread himself and blocked with his legs.

For Enfield Town, Corey Whiteley saw his effort deflected out for a corner.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 0-0 Enfield Town

The game needed the spark of a goal to ignite it, but the few chances which were created were foiled by defenders, or lack of decisive finishing.

The second half got away at 4:03pm and continued in similar vein to the opening 45 minutes.

Grant headed wide from a corner, then the ball fell to Charlie Allen from a long throw and although his shot was on target, it lacked power and was easily dealt with by McDonald.

Merrick James-Lewis gained possession on the right and put in a good cross which somehow eluded everyone in the six yard box and ran through to safety.

Enfield Town then broke quickly and came close when Devyne crashed a shot against the bar from just outside the area. He will be disappointed not to have scored.

A great long ball from Allen put Vastsuk through on goal, but, once again, the keeper was quickly out to block his effort.

Then, having just booked James-Lewis and while Enfield  Townwere making a change – Murawski on for Devyne – Referee, Alexander Fisher, collapsed with what initially looked like cramp. However, it soon became clear that it was more serious and the game was halted while enquiries were broadcast for any suitably qualified Official in the crowd.

The delay which ran to almost half an hour and involved lengthy discussions between the Match Officials and management of both sides, left players doing their best to keep warm and spectators wondering if the game would continue.

Play did resume about 4;50pm with just two Officials. Not something many, if any of us will have seen before.

Shortly after the restart, Da Cruz headed wide for the visitors, then following a Grant free kick, Charlie Allen’s diving header also went just wide.

Whitely shot well over for Enfield Town, who were then forced into a second substitution when player-manager Bradley Quinton was injured. He was replaced by Alfred Mugabo on 84 minutes.

Murawski was next to pass up a chance for the visitors when he shot well wide.

With two minutes of the ninety remaining, Boro’ brought on Josh Francis for Bogdan Vastsuk.

I don’t recall any announcement regarding which of the Assistants had swapped his flag for a whistle, but whether Mr Baker, or Mr Dunn, he was clearly carried away by the extra responsibility and must have played a good 6 minutes added time. Not that it made any difference as neither side looked remotely like scoring.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 0-0 Enfield Town

A match which will probably be remembered for the delay in the second half rather than the football.

Both sides are likely to view the result as two points lost rather than a point gained, but we may have to wait some time before knowing which side is most affected.

Onwards now to our trip to Billericay Town next Saturday before meeting with Kingstonian on Easter Monday.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: