Boro’ share the points at The Runnymede Stadium

In a game that Boro’ were hoping would see them make up more ground on leaders Royston Town, they eventually had to settle for a share of the points with “draw specialists” Egham Town.

After an even opening ten minutes it was the hosts who were first to cause a serious threat when Matthew Brendan’s cross from the right struck Ollie Treacher and flew harmlessly across the face of the Boro’ goal.

Shortly the same player drew a good diving save from Aaron Bufton low down near his left post.

Dennis Oli was advancing on goal with menace when he was scythed down by Reece Yorke. Referee, Matthew Russell, awarded a free kick but in what was to be the first of several opportunities to stamp his authority on the game, he rather surprisingly chose only to lecture the offender.

Oli again did well this time on the right and his cross found Nic Ciardini whose shot was too high.

Bufton was to save  well again when tipping another effort out for a corner, then Boro’ came close to an opener twice in quick succession.

First Perry Coles got a shot away and on target only for Jamie Norris to tip the ball out for a corner then Ciardini latched on to the corner but his shot was blocked away.

Dennis Oli again featured prominently and was looking dangerous as he burst into the area. Sadly this was when we found out that the hosts’ nickname had little to do with ‘egg or ham’ as two of their burly defenders converged on the Boro’ number ten and ‘sandwiched’ him to the ground. It looked a clear Penalty shout, but again Mr Russell didn’t want to know.

Just before the interval, Aaron Bufton turned  an effort from Chris Moore over for a corner and then caught the resultant kick and cleared.

HALF TIME: Egham Town 0-0 Farnborough

A fairly even opening 45 minutes with relatively few clear chances and Bufton proving the slightly busier of the two keepers.

Boro’ replaced Jack Barton with Sam Shaban during the break.

Away again at 8:50pm, Boro’ were quickly on to the offensive, but Dennis Oli’s cross was grabbed by Jamie Norris.

Egham Town took the lead on 50 minutes following a good move which involved three or four players and ended when Wes Daly beat Bufton low down at his left post. Egham Town 1-0 Farnborough.

This gave the hosts fresh impetus and the speedy Brendan Matthew raced clear on the right and finally won a corner for his efforts.

Just before the 60 minute mark Boro’ were showing far more urgency and causing more problems for the home defence. Perry Coles tried a shot from distance which was too high, then a Nic Ciardini free kick saw Norris require two attempts before he finally got the ball under control.

Ajanlekoko replaced Yorke for the hosts, Egham Town on 69 minutes.

When Egham Town attacked on the break Brendan Matthew went close, then when Boro’ pushed forward again and got the ball into the area it was Sam Shaban who rattled home the equaliser on 70 minutes. Egham Town 1-1 Farnborough.


‘Super sub Sam’ celebrates his third goal of the Season with Captain, CJ Fearn

Pacquette took the place of Moore in an attacking role for Egham Town after 74 minutes.

Boro’ were now going all out for a possible winner and Nic Ciardini cut in from the left but his shot was blocked by Norris.

Egham Town’s goal scorer was booked with about 10 minutes remaining having finally exhausted the Referee’s patience.

John Oyenuga was coming more and more into the attack and his speed was proving a test for the home defence and a lobbed attempt from just inside the area went just too high.

Five minutes before time, Pashaj came on for Berry for Egham Town.

Boro’ won several free kicks as time ticked away with one from Sam Pearce coming off the wall and out for a corner and another from Nic Ciardini again saw Jamie Norris struggle before finally claiming the ball with several Boro’ players closing in.

No announcement was made (in fact there were no announcements of any sort throughout) but the Referee added a good five minutes.

In this added time CJ made one notable interception and clearance and Mr Russell also suddenly found the pocket with his cards in and appeared to book John Oyenuga and Pashaj… I say ‘appeared’ because he was far from clear.

FULL TIME: Egham Town 1-1 Farnborough

Not a perfect result for Boro’ but another away point is not to be sneezed at and is by no means a disaster. However we will need to be more focused against AFC Dunstable on Saturday in order to ensure all three points.

Come on you Yelloowsaa!!

Match Report by Tony Duff.


Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: