Boro’ back to winning ways

With Cureton and Cissoko gone and no Oyenuga today, it was good to welcome back Dennis Oli and Eddie Smith and see keeper Brendon Norris and Callum Overton make their first starts.

Boro’ got the game underway at 3:02 pm with a gusting wind at their backs and on a surface which was to make close control difficult at times.

With both sides making a scrappy start it was a while before either side offered a real threat and it was Boro’ who did so with CJ glancing a header just wide from Nic Ciardini’s corner.

Then Eddie Smith and Nic both got almost clear in quick succession, but both efforts were thwarted.

Chalfont St Peter had the odd break out of defence but could make no real progress

Jack Barton made a long cross field pass out to Josh Huggins on the right and his ball into the box was cleared for a corner.

Huggins made a good run into the box where he was tripped and Referee, Joel Mannix pointed to the spot. Eddie Smith stepped up confidently struck the ball past Garry Malone to open the scoring after 20 minutes. Chalfont St Peter 0-1 Farnborough.

Nic Ciardini was well off target with a free kick from 35 yards, before Tyrone Pink had the home sides’ first shot after 28 minutes which wide of the mark.

Callum Overton, who had been involved in some decent moves, had a chance which went wide of the post.

Pink got in a dangerous looking cross which was well cleared by Terrell Forbes.

Ciardini and Smith exchanged passes down the left, but unfortunately, Nic was lacking his usual accuracy and was off target with the return ball into the box.

Norris who had little to do on his debut, did well to claim the ball and clear following a long free kick.

HALF TIME: Chalfont St Peter 0-1 Farnborough

Boro’ had largely dominated the opening 45 minutes but the final ball and finish eluded them.

The second period got under way at 4:03 pm and Chalfont St Peter were awarded an early free kick which saw Norris deal comfortably with a headed effort.

Dennis Oli slipped the ball through to Ciardini but his shot was always going wide of the goal.

Boro’ were well on top and the home side were relying on breaks from defence which, on one occasion saw Fenton head wide from a free kick.

Malone tipped a Huggins header out for a corner and it was Huggins again who came close with a shot on the run which was only inches over the bar.

Chalfont St Peter made two changes replacing McDonnell with Cass and Tomkins with
Morgan on 64 minutes.

Jack Barton was booked for a strong challenge a minute later.

Pink, who was having a good game for the home side, came close when he hammered a shot from just outside the box which cannoned off the post at such an angle that it went out for a throw on the left.

Cass had a good chance from a free kick on the edge of the D, but his shot was much too high.

Nic Ciardini twisted his way through the defence but Malone was equal to his shot and stopped Boro’ doubling their lead.

Strutton wasted a good cross from Pink by shooting wide.

Both sides made a further change with Boro’ replacing Eddie Smith with Sam Shabam and Chalfont St Peter bringing on Craig Carby for Remmell Clarke after 78 minutes.

With ten minutes remaining Boro’ doubled their lead when Sam Shaban side footed home a cross from Ciardini on 80 minutes. Chalfont St Peter 0-2 Farnborough.

Lewis Hayden replaced Jack Barton on 85 minutes.

Chalfont St Peter pushed forward in the closing minutes, but Norris did well to tip their best effort out for a corner and the final action saw Fenton booked for a foul on Overton in added time.

FULL TIME: Chalfont St Peter 0-2 Farnborough

By no means a classic, but one of those days when we accept 3 points and another clean sheet and move on. I hear a rumour that we have a Home game on Tuesday.

Come on you Yellooowsaa!! – we’re still top of the pile.

Match Report by Tony Duff.


Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: