Essex hoodoo banished in some style

With the home side sitting in 8th place and just a point shy of a play off place, few Boro’ supporters would have expected much from today’s game.

The visitors got the game away dead on 3:00pm with a very strong wind at their backs.

Boro’s only change to their starting line up was debutant Jack Battie in place of Charlie Allen, now on his travels. On the bench, a place was found for Ollie Bailey.

It was soon clear that the wind would play an important part in the proceedings and that the playing surface, never one of the best, was affecting attempts to pass the ball along the ground.

Boro’ showed intent in the opening minutes and pegged the home side back. The biggest problem was in over hitting the ball in the strong wind.

A Boro’ corner on the left was headed out for another on the right and when the ball came into to a crowded 6 yard box, Jack Smith was first to it and his effort found it’s way into the net via keeper Jack Giddens on 10 minutes. Billericay Town 0-1 Farnborough.

Despite some suggestion that it was an own goal against the keeper, Smith was announced as the scorer and received the congratulations of the Boro’ players.

In my opinion, the correct decision.

A neat pass from Oli, through to Vastsuk was only just foiled by the off-side flag.

Billericay Town had made little headway up to now and when a rare move got them within sight of goal, Monville shot well over from the right.

Boro’ doubled their lead on 16 minutes when they were awarded a free kick a few yards outside the area. Debutant, Jack Battie struck the ball hard and low, into the far corner on 26 minutes. Billericay Town 0-2 Farnborough.

Another free kick a few minutes later from a more central position saw a Matt Ball effort fly just over the bar.

The home side came to life and applied a bit of pressure. Oyenuga headed a cross clear and when Billericay Town regained possession and returned the ball into the middle, Hubble shot well wide.

The pressure continued and an uncharacteristic poor clearance from Bufton was returned and deflected out for a corner.

The keeper did well to punch clear the corner and Jordan Cox shot was too high.


Farnborough Captain, CJ Fearn battles for possession

Diallo, who had committed a number of niggling fouls, was finally booked in the 33rd minute.

Giddens fumbled the ball from another free kick but his defence cleared the danger.

Bogdan Vastsuk was on a run towards the area when Stephenson hauled him back and was booked.

The free kick, outside the area to the right, was taken by Freddie Grant who hit a great curling left footer into the top corner of the goal giving the keeper no chance on 38 minutes. Billericay Town 0-3 Farnborough.

Billericay Town pushed forward to try and reduce the arrears, but sensible defending saw Boro’ through to the interval with just a single effort from Poole in the one minute of added time which went narrowly wide.

HALF TIME: Billericay Town 0-3 Farnborough

Boro’ were well worth their lead, but unless the wind suddenly stops will no doubt be subjected to a much stronger test in the second half.

Second period off at 4:04pm

Boro’ went straight on to attack and a good move between Dennis Oli and Bogdan Vastsuk came close to further success before Billericay Town finally cleared the danger.

Dennis Oli then went close from the edge of the area.

Jack Battie was booked after a 50/50 challenge on the half way line.

Ten minutes in, the home side pressed and Bufton palmed away a free kick for a corner and then punched the resultant corner clear.

The home side were not to be denied for long and reduced the arrears when Jordan Cox converted a square pass across the box from the left on 60 minutes. Billericay Town 1-3 Farnborough.

Stephenson was fortunate not to receive a second yellow when he pulled back Oyenuga on the left. The Referee, Ollie Morris-Sanders, making do with a lecture.

Boro’ were coming under increasing pressure and CJ blocked one effort out for a corner before Bufton tipped a shot over for another corner.

Boro’ replaced Battie, who had taken a knock, with Ollie Bailey on 71 minutes.

Hubble was replaced by Fondop-Talom for the home side after 72 minutes.

With 15 minutes remaining, Billericay Town were throwing everyone forward to try and salvage something and Bufton tipped an effort from Cox over his bar.

The Boro’ keeper was booked for time wasting with ten minutes left. I wouldn’t like to say that the Referee was in any way influenced by the baying home crowd and bench, but……………… (mind you, I have seen Buffers move faster!!)

Billericay Town carried on battering away, but Boro’ held firm until well in to the four minutes of added time when Jordan Cox bundled the ball home in a crowded 6 yard box to give his side what was no more than a late consolation goal. Billericay Town 2-3 Farnborough.

Boro’ replaced Vastsuk with Adeniji on 90 minutes and Freddie Grant was booked during added time. Time wasting?

FULL TIME: Billericay Town 2-3 Farnborough

Another great result from Boro’ who really are starting to play like a team.

Ten points from twelve is decent form and if we can carry this forward, who knows?

There are still some massive games to come, not least the away game at Needham Market and much could still hang on our final game at home to Brentwood Town.

Well done to all, for another result against the odds and another 3 points.

Same again on Monday, please.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: