First half collapse condemns Farnborough to eleventh League defeat of the Season

Following their exit from the FA Trophy on Monday, falling to Bideford (4-5) on penalties after the scores remained tied after 120 minutes and with the FA having at last made clear their intentions regarding outstanding matters involving the Saga of Boro’s CVA, it was if anything, good to concentrate on the ‘bread and butter’ of League encounters.

This first meeting with Wingate & Finchley echoed a familiar situation with Boro’ firmly in the bottom four, facing a team comfortably placed in the top six, or seven.

The opening 5 minutes gave no real hint of what was to follow and when Tommy Wright doggedly chased down Ahmet Rifat near to his own goal line, before claiming the ball and beating Metcalfe from a narrow angle, it was no more than the visitors deserved after 8 minutes. Wingate & Finchley 0-1 Farnborough.

The lead was short lived and after Joe Tupper had turned over an effort from Tejan-Sie following a corner on the left, the resultant corner from the opposite side was met by Rob Laney who headed firmly past Tupper to level the score on 11 minutes. Wingate & Finchley 1-1 Farnborough.

The following period of ten or twelve minutes saw both sides prepared to attack and chances were created at both ends, with defenders coming out on top.

Nicholas Brown produced a good pass to put Tommy Wright clear and the pacey forward made no mistake with his second of the afternoon to put the visitors ahead for the second time on 24 minutes. Wingate & Finchley 1-2 Farnborough.

At this point the game started to drift away from Boro’ and the home side were soon to equalise again when Lee Barney lashed a shot into the roof of Tupper’s net on 28 minutes after the keeper had saved a shot from Soloman. Wingate & Finchley 2-2 Farnborough.

Things got worse when a poorly defended cross from the left was returned across the area for Barney to tap home from close in after 34 minutes. Wingate & Finchley 3-2 Farnborough.

The home side were soon to open up a two goal gap when a good through ball saw Rob Laney finish well on 39 minutes. Wingate & Finchley 4-2 Farnborough.

The remainder of the half and the two added minutes saw Tupper make two more good saves to prevent his side falling further behind.

HALF TIME: Wingate & Finchley 4-2 Farnborough

A disappointing half for Boro’ who had deservedly led on two occasions only to see the game slip away from them in the space of twenty minutes or so.

Second half got under way at 4:00pm with Boro’ having replaced Bogdan Vastsuk with Bradley Fraser during the interval.

Tommy Wright latched on to a good through ball and shot just inches high of the target.

Boro’s second change after 56 minutes brought on Dean-Joseph Whittingham for Nicholas Brown.

The home side were seeking to increase their lead and Joe Tupper saved well from Olijide before Daniel Brown had a shot deflected for a corner.

Freddie Grant was rather harshly booked for very little on 60 minutes, then Rob Laney headed wide from the free kick.

The home side replaced Tyson-Liscaris with Joe Sharpe on 65 minute and a minute later Boro’s task got even harder when Freddie Grant received a second yellow followed by a red. Much like the first booking, it was nothing nasty, but the Referee’s action was heavy handed.

Boro’ were still looking to go forward and ironically, just after Grant’s sending off, a promising move through the middle was brought to a premature end by what appeared to be a blatant hand ball. Guess what? No action from Referee, Paul Evans.

Not surprisingly, much of the play was confined to the middle of the park as the home side were largely seeking to protect their lead though they broke on occasions and Karl Olijide shot wide from 20 yards.

Wingate & Finchley continued to contain and use up time making two further changes on 87 minutes., Olijide and Rose making way for Andreos and Marriot.

When two minutes of added time were flagged up, Boro’ threw bodies forward and although only a consolation, their persistence was rewarded when Gary MacDonald hammered home a third just before the final whistle. Wingate & Finchley 4-3 Farnborough.

FULL TIME: Wingate & Finchley 4-3 Farnborough

So, another narrow away defeat to a top seven side, but no points to show for the effort. The home side’s league position has been achieved with three games in hand over no less than four of the teams above them which suggests a pretty strong settled side.

Much has been said about low gates, well, for the record, todays gate on a Saturday afternoon to watch an entertaining match with no lack of goals, was a meagre 138.

Last Monday, Boro’s gate against a side who had a 400 mile round trip, was just 23 less at 115. No logic, or Justice is there?

On next to Kingstonian on Monday for another away game.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: