No reward for Boro’ on the road.

A visit to Gander Green Lane to face an in- form Sutton United was never going to be an easy task.

Without a new face on show, the Boro’ side was starting to have a more familiar and settled look about it.


The two Managers chat pre-kick off

Facing a strong, icy, wind Boro’ were the first to threaten when Page made progress on the left and cut inside only to mis-hit his cross on the heavy ground.

Then, when the same player slipped a pass through to Theophanous, the ball appeared to spin up off his boot and a defender gratefully headed the ball back to Howe in the Sutton goal.

When the home side broke quickly, Fitchett got past Treacher inside the box on the right, but his effort, whether a shot or a cross, went harmlessly through and out for a throw on the far side.

Sutton then enjoyed a period of sustained pressure and a Fitchett cross was headed wide by Hippolyte-Patrick.

The same player then beat three Boro’ defenders in a good run into the box, but the ball ran away from him and was cleared. The tricky wing man then had a shot on goal but Rodák saved comfortably.

Boro’ then had another spell of pressure and when Page was fouled 30 yards out, Richens free kick was cleared for a throw. Theophanous then crossed well, but Page was inches short of connecting.


The pacey Reece Beckles takes on Dan Wishart during the first half

From the mid point of the half the home side were starting to get their act together and created a number of chances.

Spillane headed wide from a good cross and on the half hour a cross from the right bounced awkwardly in front of
Rodák causing him to mishandle, but then gather safely.

A long ball out to Wellard saw him cut into the box on the right and Ollie Treacher made a well timed tackle to avert the danger.

Apart from one effort from Page which was deflected for a corner, it was virtually one way traffic.

Fitchett headed wide from a free kick, then Rodák saved a deflected effort from Wellard before saving well from Hippolyte-Patrick’s running header from the right hand side.

Just ahead of the break Fitchett should have buried a chance from no more than 4 yards, but blasted wide of the target.

Half Time: Sutton United 0-0 Farnborough

The early exchanges were fairly even, but as the half went on Sutton showed their superiority and but for some stout defending and poor finishing, the home side could well have taken a lead into the interval.

The second half began at 4.02pm and after three minutes, Page was fouled just outside the area. Michael Richens’ kick over the wall, also flew over the bar.

When Sutton were awarded a free kick, skipper Glen Southam, saw his effort punched well clear by Rodak.

The home side stepped up a gear and applied sustained pressure.

Ten minutes in, the Boro’ goalmouth resembled a shooting gallery with a resolute defenders blocking at least five efforts on target.

The ball ran to Gomis about ten yards out his low shot finally found a way through to break the deadlock after 56 minutes. Sutton United 1-0 Farnborough.

With little more than half an hour left, Boro’ set about trying to even things up. A corner on the left was played short to Richens and his shot was just too high.

Sutton then made a double substitution with ex Boro’ player, Dale Binns replacing Hippolyte-Patrick and Jamie White coming on for Bedsente Gomis.

Boro’ pushed forward, but made little progress against a determined home defence. Binns’ was booked for a foul in mid field and then both sides made changes.

Boro’ replacing Jamie Hand and Gus Sow, with Xapi and Matt Jones. For Sutton, Craig Dundas replaced Ricky Wellard. All changes on 71 minutes.

The next few minutes were largely played in the middle of the park with neither side able to gain the upper hand. Boro’ made their final change after 78 minutes, when Darryl Siaw replaced Reece Beckles.

With about 8 minutes remaining, Southam and Wishart combined well on the left flank, but Rodák got down well to claim the cross. When Richens was booked for a foul 25 yards out, the kick went straight through to Rodák.

The home side seemed content to hold on to their slender lead and a number of rather pointless fouls were committed, one seeing Spillane bring down Richens.

4 minutes added time.

As often happens when one side is pushing forward to try and salvage something, an opportunity arises at the other end.

This was the case when the home side broke away down the right, well in to added time and Jamie White doubled their lead with a good shot which gave the Boro’ keeper no chance. Sutton United 2-0 Farnborough.

Full Time: Sutton United 2-0 Farnborough

A hard fought encounter with very little separating the two teams, but, the on form Sutton did enough to secure the points.

Next up for Boro’ another daunting away trip to Bromley on Tuesday night.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Next up for Farnborough – Tuesday 3 February (KO 7:45pm), Bromley (away).

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: