Non-clinical Farnborough bow out of the Ryman League Cup at the 3rd Round

These two clubs having clashed back in September in the 1st Qualifying Round of the FA Cup, tonight saw them facing each other once again, this time in the League Cup.

K’s came out on top in September winning the Replay, 3-2 after Boro’ held them 1 – 1 at Kingsmeadow.

We see and hear a lot about the importance of ‘ keeping a clean sheet ‘ well, for 85 minutes, tonight’s game was surely choreographed for such enthusiasts.

Boro’ began with purpose and a Jack Barton free kick ran all the way through to Rob Tolfrey after just three minutes.

A couple of minutes later, Matt Bevans came very close to getting on the end of a good through ball also from Barton.

K’s also had early chances and Joe Tupper did well to deal with a low shot/cross from Casey, before Ricky Sappleton went through the Boro’ defence rather like a tank dispersing infantry. Fortunately, his shot was wide of the post.

Matt Bevans took a knock near to the Boro’ penalty box, but recovered after treatment and a good through ball from Barton found Bogdan Vastsuk, but he was flagged offside.

At the other end Perry Ryan made a good tackle to stop Sappleton.

On 25 minutes Freddie Grant began a good run near to the left touchline which took him diagonally across to the right of the box, leaving several defenders in his wake before crossing for Tommy Wright to head fractionally over.

This saw the start of a good five minutes from Boro’ during which Lewis Collins had a shot put out for a corner, Gary MacDonald came close and a Perry Ryan free kick went wide.

This spell of Boro’ domination came to an end when Tupper was forced into a good low save from Sappleton.

Vastsuk, with his back to goal neatly chipped the ball over his head and over his defender, but sadly the ball ran on too far as he rounded the defender. Another chance fell to the centre forward but he slipped as he got his shot away and the effort went wide.

Just before the half ended, Jack Barton began another good move and ran forward to get on the end of the final ball, but his effort was blocked and cleared.

Two minutes of additional time were notified by Referee, Johnston and Boro’ had time for one more attempt when a good cross field ball from Tommy Wright was met with a first time shot by Matt Bevans, but went just over the bar.

HALF TIME: Kingstonian 0-0 Farnborough

As the scoreline suggests, defences ruled. However, Boro’ competed well and, if anything, had the better of the relatively few real chances, without being able to take full advantage.

The second half started at 7:48pm with Boro’ having made a change during the break. Jack Barton, who had been involved in a number of promising moves, being replaced by Nicholas Brown.

Perry Ryan received a knock early on but was able to continue.

K’s had the first chance of the half when Dylan Casey met a cross, but shot well wide.

Boro’ had a dominant 10 or 12 minutes during which Rob Tolfrey was twice called upon to make saves in order to prevent the visitors going in front.

Firstly, Vastsuk and Brown combined well and Brown’s shot drew a good save from the K’s keeper, then Brown let fly from around 25 yards, but again Tolfrey made the save.

About half way through the second period K’s replaced Adam Doyle with George Wells.

The substitute was soon in action when K’s broke down the right flank, but Wells’ shot was well wide of the target.

With twenty minutes left, K’s second change saw Dan Bennett come on for Peter Dean.

Both sides forced corners in the next few minutes without threatening to open the scoring.

The home side made their final change on 77 minutes replacing Reece Beckles with Pelayo Pico Gomez (at least 6ft 4in).

Both sides had further chances with a little over 10 minutes left. Tommy Wright shooting wide just after Ricky Sappleton had seen an attempted lob also go wide.

Word around the ground, though no announcement to confirm, suggested that the tie would proceed to Penalties if scores remained level at 90 minutes.

Indeed, as time ran down, this seemed the most likely outcome.

However, all was about to change. The K’s full back, Aaron Goode, set out on a run down the right which had all the hall marks of a do, or die, attempt. He swept all before him and let fly across the area from right to left on 86 minutes. The ball, which nine times out of ten may have threatened the corner flag, on this occasion went in off the inside of the far post. Kingstonian 1-0 Farnborough.

Things got worse two minutes later when Dean-Joseph Whittingham tried to win the ball near the corner flag, was forced to move along the goal line as Wells twisted towards the Boro’ goal.

As soon as Joseph-Whittingham made a challenge, down went the forward and Referee, Johnston lost no time in pointing to the spot.

Pico Gomez broke his run up and side footed past Tupper once the keeper had committed on 88 minutes. Kingstonian 2-0 Farnborough.

With no clear indication of added time, Boro’ could only keep going were rewarded when Bogdan Vastsuk did well to control the ball about 12 yards out and smashed a great right footed shot past Tolfrey into the left corner. Arguably, the best ‘proper’ goal of the game. Kingstonian 2-1 Farnborough.


Reading loanee, Bogdan Vastsuk rifles a shot past Tolfrey

Despite trying to mount a further attack, time ran out.

FULL TIME: Kingstonian 2-1 Farnborough

By no means a classic, but entertaining for the 149 spectators.

Boro’ competed well and again were certainly not outplayed by a side who have clearly bedded in, are well organised and enjoying life close to the play-off spots.

With what we have learned this week, it really is a question of concentrating on the League. Let’s have another crack at Wingate & Finchley on Saturday.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: