Is there any way back?

Following an abject performance on a terrible pitch, I hate to say it, but, to use an old cliché, Boro’ look like a bunch of “dead men walking”.

For the second time in a week the failure to beat a club in the bottom three, may well come back to haunt them as the season draws to a close and opportunities to add points become fewer.

Already without Darryl Siaw, the last thing Boro’ needed was for Roman Michael-Percil to be taken sick en route to the match. Not only did they undoubtedly miss his ability to attack defences at speed, but were reduced to a four man bench.

After both sides started nervously, Louie Theophanous was first to attempt a strike on goal. Unfortunately, his effort from around 35 yards, missed the target by a similar margin.

After 10 minutes, Magnus Norman was forced to go down at the feet of Benyon to prevent Boro’ falling behind.

Ex Boro’ player, Lewis Ferrell featured twice in quick succession around the 18th minute. Firstly, a good through ball to Morgan was cleared for a corner, then Ferrell had a shot himself from distance which went wide of the goal.

When Green went to ground, eventually, on the edge of the area, there was a strong hint of simulation involved. Norman punched the free kick away, but Hayes regained the ball and when a cross entered a crowded six yard box from the right, the ball appeared to go in off the knee of Benyon after 27 minutes. Hayes & Yeading United 1-0 Farnborough.

A few minutes later, a Freddie Grant headed clearance fell to Benyon and his volley was turned round the post at full stretch by Norman.

The livewire, Benyon was soon in action again when he turned and shot after a pass from Green, but this time he was just wide of the post.

Boro’ made a rare attack with Page coming in from the left but his attempted cross was deflected out for a corner. Page ran through on the right and won another corner which resulted in Louie Theophanous heading goalwards from the edge of the area. The effort looped over the defence, but though it was on target, it didn’t really test Smith who gathered with ease.

The remaining time with two added minutes saw little further action and the half drew to a close with the score remaining 1-0 .

Half Time: Hayes & Yeading United 2-0 Farnborough

The half did little to warm the crowd of under 300 with the “home” side just about deserving their narrow lead. They had at lest made the Boro’ keeper work, while the visitors managed just one attempt on target.

I was grateful for the diversion of watching a magnificent Red Kite circle the ground and then, joined by it’s mate, for a double display of graceful aerobatics.

The second half commenced at 4:01pm with Boro’ replacing CJ Fearn with new signing Jordan Robertson in an attempt to beef up their attacking options.

Hayes & Yeading, however, were quickly on the offensive with Morgan and Green combining well to force a corner on the right. The kick was cleared by Freddie Grant who then headed clear from another corner also on the right.

Richens won a rare corner for Boro’ then when Williams was progressing towards goal along the by line, he was forced to concede a corner to halt his advance.

Williams was booked for blatantly pulling Robertson back then around the hour mark, Benyon, who looked to be a good yard off side when put through, was allowed to continue and beat Norman to record his second of the match on 60 minutes.

Nurse, who had already been booked, was replaced by N’gamvoulou on 65 minutes. The big fella, who was possibly playing his last game before returning to the USA, had been in danger of a second card when showing his frustration.

Boro’ had a brief spell of pressure which saw them have a succession of attempts blocked by a packed defence. Hayes often pulling back all ten outfield players which made things even more difficult for Boro’ to break through when they did get forward.

Harry Grant had a shot from distance which was much too high and when Robertson was fouled just outside the area, Grant’s free kick reached Treacher but he shot into the side netting,

The remaining time was notable only for the number of bookings which were the result of both sides showing frustration as the minutes ticked away.

Boro’ kept pushing forward without any reward with Page caught off side and Bennett off target from 25 yards.

FULL TIME: Hayes & Yeading United 2-0 Farnborough

A huge result for both sides for different reasons. Several people remarked on how the pitch resembled a beach, hopefully, the tide hasn’t gone out too far for Boro’ !!!

It is difficult to see where the necessary points are going to come from, but we must continue to give it our best shot, starting with the difficult trip to Bromley on Tuesday.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Next up for Farnborough: Tuesday 17 March (KO 7:45pm), Bromley (away).

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: