Boro’ narrowly beaten at Privett Park

Boro’ included Chris Nurse, the Guyana Captain, in their starting line-up, but were disappointedly prevented from playing Perry Ryan as Havant & Waterlooville didn’t put the paperwork through despite giving him permission to train and speak to the media when at the last minute they had an injury.

Jamie Hand returned after suspension, but Adam Brice had not responded as hoped to his hamstring injury.

Despite a battling performance Boro’ were edged out of the points by the odd goal in three in a game played at a good pace with both sides enjoying periods of good possession and creating chances.

The home side made progress after 4 minutes, but a cross from the left was headed across the area by Matt Paterson and went out of play.

A promising Boro’ move on the left saw a pass inside to Phil Page, but he was dispossessed as he shaped up to have a shot.

On 20 minutes Boro’ conceded possession on the half way line and Gosport broke away and when Dunford shot from 25 yards, Rodák made a good diving save to his right.

CJ Fearn, who had earlier received a knock, left the field after 22 minutes to be replaced by Gus Sow.

Rodák made another good save, this time from Justin Bennett and Boro’ broke quickly from his clearance.

As the ball neared the Gosport area, their was hesitation in their defence and the ball bounced kindly for Dan Bennett who jinked around the two defenders and beat Ashmore from 12 yards on 30 minutes. Gosport Borough 0-1 Farnborough.

The lead was to be short lived as the home side pushed forward and after the ball had criss crossed the Boro’ area two or three times it fell to Dan Wooden who hooked home the equaliser giving Rodák no chance after 36 minutes. Gosport Borough 1-1 Farnborough.

When Gosport were awarded a free kick near the centre line it was taken quickly and Justin Bennett shot hastily and wide of the target.

The remaining few minutes, plus the one added, saw both sides create chances. Harry Grant burst down the right and cut inside, but his shot was saved by Ashmore.

Then an attempted pass in midfield by Grant was woefully short and gave Nurse no chance. Gosport broke away and Rodák did well to save from Justin Bennett and keep the scores level.

The home side pressed again and forced a corner on the left which Rodák claimed and cleared up field.

Half Time: Gosport Borough 1-1 Farnborough

The scoreline was a fair reflection of play in a half which saw both sides prepared to attack and playing some neat football on what, considering the recent rainfall, was a decent pitch.

The second period got away at 4:02pm and just a few minutes in, Chris Nurse won the ball on the edge of his area and progressed down field shaking off several tackles. Unfortunately, under pressure, he misplaced his final pass and the home side counter attacked at speed.

When the cross came in from the right, Justin Bennett was quick to react and smash the ball past Rodák on 49 minutes. Gosport Borough 2-1 Farnborough.

Boro’ straight away returned to the attack and in a short space of time were to create two chances.

First a move involving Harry Grant and Louie Theophanous, then on to Freddie Grant, whose effort from the edge of the box was blocked and cleared.

Then Theophanous had a shot blocked and Dan Bennett shot narrowly wide.

Boro’ brought on Duncan Culley for Theophanous on 56 minutes.

The Referee spoke at length to Michael Richens and Justin Bennett following an off the ball incident, then Nurse was adjudged to have committed a foul just outside the Boro’ area, but Wooden’s free kick was headed clear.

Then, on 62 minutes, Gosport’s Matt Paterson was seen writhing in apparent agony on the ground with play continuing and the Referee was immediately harassed by several Gosport players, screaming for action.

Having consulted his Assistant, the Referee then booked Jamie Hand. Several of the home side, verbally assisted by their Manager, Alex Pike, continued to surround Mr Hulme, apparently suggesting that Hand should
have been sent off.

The Referee spoke to Alex Pike and skipper Sam Pearce in his efforts to calm the situation.

Boro’ then replaced Phil Page with Roman Michael-Percil and the Captain’s armband was passed to Jamie Hand.

With some 20 minutes to go, Boro’ playing some of their best football were almost constantly on the attack. Richens cut in from the right and Ashmore turned his shot round for a corner.

The kick was played towards Bennett, who neatly stepped over the ball allowing it to run on to Gus Sow, but his shot was well over the goal. Another corner was well claimed by Ashmore.

Roman Michael-Percil was proving a real handful for the Gosport defence and made several twisting runs from midfield. One such run led a yellow card for Dunford when he brought the youngster down.

Ollie Treacher played a great ball over the defence for Freddie Grant on the left wing and his cross was cleared for a corner from which, Dan Bennett shot over.

When Gosport counter attacked, Justin Bennett ran through and rounded Rodák only to shoot into the side netting.
Following another good run by Michael-Percil, Culley was through on goal, but Ashmore did well to save at his feet.

With about 10 minutes left, Gosport brought Steve Ramsey on for Carter.

Boro’ attacked down the right and Dan Bennett got through, but emulated his namesake’s earlier effort of by shooting into the side netting.

Gosport made their final substitution with about 7 minutes left when Dunford made way for River Allen.

Boro’ continued to push forward and Dan Bennett was judged to have got past Williams unfairly. Bennett clearly felt aggrieved at the decision (not without reason), but was booked for dissent.

4 added minutes.

Just before the end, the Gosport skipper, Sam Pearce was tackled by Harry Grant and both fell to the ground. Pearce reacted angrily and retaliated while Grant was still on the ground. He appeared to use his foot as well as grapple with the Boro’ player.

Nett result was a yellow card for both, but I think Pearce can count himself fortunate not to have been sent off, such was the intensity of his reaction.

FULL TIME: Gosport Borough 2-1 Farnborough

I think a neutral would have been hard pushed to say which team was second from bottom and which in the play off places. Boro’ battled well and if they had got a kindlier rub of the green once or twice, could have claimed the spoils.

As it was, they certainly deserved a point. Matters will recommence at Paddy Power Park next Tuesday in the Hampshire Senior Cup Semi-Final.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Next up for Farnborough: Tuesday 3 March (KO 7:45pm), Gosport Borough (home).

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: