Boro’ kick-off in fine style!

The trials and tribulations of the past few months have made for an uncomfortable Summer for Boro’ fans but the long wait for competitive football has finally come to an end.

Today’s opening League game gave fans plenty of reasons for optimism after the roller coaster of recent weeks.

The match was preceded by a minutes silence in memory of the victims and families of last week’s Shoreham Airshow disaster, which included two young players from Worthing FC.

The visitors got the game under way playing towards the PRE and after a scrappy opening few minutes which was both sides giving the ball away, Boro’ took the lead after just 7 minutes when Bobbie Dale followed up to slide the ball home after the Lewes keeper could only parry a shot. Farnborough 1-0 Lewes.

Timi Abiola, who suffered a knock during the warm up, was replaced after 13 minutes by Jack Barton.

Shortly after, Nicholas Brown forced keeper Will Godman into a good diving save before Chinua Cole was somewhat harshly booked in midfield.

Around the 20 minute mark the visitors first real attempt on goal saw Muggeridge blast into the side netting.

Referee, Christopher Wade endured a few odd moments first by awarding Lewes a free kick when it was clear to most people that Harry Williams had been fouled, then, despite noisy reminders, he took far too long to realise that Jordan Badger was lying injured in the Boro’ area.

After on field attention Badger was forced to call it a day and was replaced by Alex Sommerfeld

Just before the half hour a sprinkler close to the Lewes goal decided to switch itself on causing a little light entertainment and no sooner had it been switched off the rain started anyway.

Harry Williams ran through on goal after 32 minutes and on attempting to round the keeper was clearly brought down. A Penalty was awarded by Mr Wade who then showed a straight red card to Will Godman.

Rather harsh as the ball had run some distance beyond the goal. A yellow would have been sufficient though one couldn’t deny it was a goal scoring opportunity.

Following a delay while Nathan Crabb made way for George Brown to take over in goal, Harry Williams coolly slotted home the penalty to double Boro’s advantage. Farnborough 2-0 Lewes.

The remains 12 minutes plus 3 added by Mr Wade saw Boro’ in control and they went into the break with a well deserved 2-0 lead.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 2-0 Lewes

The second half got underway at 4:05pm and few minutes in Jack Barton was booked for a robust tackle near the half way line.

Brown was soon in action saving well from Collins who had been put clear by Barton.

Good approach work between Collins and Dale saw the latter shoot just wide of the post and shortly afterwards Nditi went close after
cleverly making space on the left of the area.

Redwood shot well wide for Lewes before Williams slid the ball just wide of the lost following a good cross from the left.

Boro’ were comfortably on top now and taking full advantage of their extra man as Lewes were clearly finding it much harder to make real progress.

Two goals in a two minute spell saw Boro’ put the game beyond the reach of Lewes, who had certainly not given up the chase.

Bobbie Dale got his second in 69 minutes and Harry Williams, not to be outdone, added his second and Boro’s fourth after 71 minutes to give the home side a very comfortable four goal cushion. Farnborough 4-0 Lewes.

Nicholas Brown was replaced by Nathan Chambers on 74 minutes and soon showed his speed and ability in making good forward runs.

Harry Williams deservedly notched his hat-trick after 79 minutes to make it 5-0. Farnborough 5-0 Lewes.

This seemed to galvanise the visitors into renewed action and their efforts were rewarded in the 81st minute when Jordan Wilson scored a smart individual goal to give his side a late consolation. Farnborough 5-1 Lewes.

The remaining time, again with three minutes added, saw Boro’ the more likely to score again, but most of those present will surely have gone home happy.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 5-1 Lewes

A great start for Boro’ – more of the same should soon see the return of decent crowds.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: