Boro’ ease past Three Bridges into the Third Round of the Ryman League Cup

A good solid team effort saw the home side dominate from the start and complete a comfortable victory which must surely do much for morale following some tough matches against several of the top sides in which they played some good football at times without their efforts being truly reflected in the final results.

Boro’ got the game away and made a confident start. Following some neat one touch football Freddie Grant saw his effort deflected for a corner with barely three minutes on the clock.

The home fans didn’t have long to wait before cheering the first goal. Harry Williams made a good run down the left, cut into the box and finished well from a narrow angle after 6 minutes. Farnborough 1-0 Three Bridges.

The next 15 minutes saw Boro’ continue to dominate and efforts from Tommy Wright and Gary MacDonald finishing on the roof of the net and bouncing off the top of the bar respectively.

On another night they could have been 3-0 up.

When the visitors made a rare excursion into the Boro’ half the defence looked comfortable.

Tupper claimed a couple of crosses confidently, but otherwise Three Bridges were restricted to a couple of off target attempts.

When Joe Tupper came out at speed to claim the ball his momentum carried him just outside the box. Referee, Hollier correctly awarded a free kick, but sensibly took everything into account and didn’t punish Tupper.

Boro’ continued to create openings and Emmerson chased down a free kick and crossed well but Thorp did well to save Harry Williams’ header.

Another Williams effort from a Cole cross was deflected for a corner.

It was a question of when, rather if, Boro’ would increase their lead and following some neat passing around the edge of the box Williams placed his shot well beyond the reach of Thorp on 35 minutes. Farnborough 2-0 Three Bridges.

Boro’ continued to press for the remainder of the half but the nearest they got to a further goal was when Thorp palmed a Williams cross over his head and over the bar and then claimed the corner.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 2-0 Three Bridges

A half totally dominated by Boro’ and a scoreline of four or five nil would not have flattered them.

The second period started at 8:50pm with the visitors replacing ex Boro’ player, Tony Garrod with Ashley Mutongerwa.

Garrod had struggled after he was chased down and tackled by CJ towards the end of the first period and was clearly unable to continue.

Tommy Wright was involved in several good runs, but although he was presented with several chances he was not able to convert them.

His best chance was when one on one with Thorp, but shot straight at the keeper.

Boro’ first substitution saw Perry Ryan replaced by Nicholas Brown on 57 minutes.

Harry Williams completed a well deserved hat-trick with a strong header after 61 minutes. Farnborough 3-0 Three Bridges.

Williams and Emmerson combined well on the left before Emmerson’s shot was blocked just short of the target.

Three Bridges second substitution was Whitehead replace Newman-Knott on 67 minutes.

Farnborough replaced hat-trick hero Williams with Jack Barton on 69 minutes.

The visitors final substitution saw Mobsby replaced by Jones also on 69 minutes.

A Southam free kick from fully 30 yards was deflected over for a corner.

Then a great ball over the defence by Emmerson presented Tommy Wright with another chance but it wasn’t his night and he couldn’t keep his footing.

Keith Emmerson was now playing in a more central forward role and it was no surprise when he hammered home Boro’s fourth on 72 minutes. Farnborough 4-0 Three Bridges.

Just two minutes later Emmerson was only inches from reaching Brown’s cross for what would almost certainly have been number five.

Boro’s final substitution saw Dean Joseph-Whittingham come on for Glen Southam on 77 minutes.

The remainder of the match saw Boro’ continue to press and Joseph-Whittingham did well down the left and crossed well but Thorp gathered low down.

Tommy Wright’s luck still didn’t improve when he shot from the edge of the box but his effort sailed over the top.

On another night he could well have collected a hat-trick to match Harry Williams.

Barton was booked near the end after an innocuous tackle saw Landsdale go to ground and stay down.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 4-0 Three Bridges

A well deserved victory carved out by a solid team effort. Yes, they could have had at least four more, but importantly they learned from the last round and were determined not to let the opposition get back into the game.

The team will rightly feel good about this performance and it should boost morale for Saturday’s home match against bottom club VCD Athletic.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: