Important League win for Boro’

It would be difficult to overestimate the importance of this third League win of the season.

With the majority of matches to date having been against teams from the top end of the table, it was vital that Boro’ took maximum points from day’s game against the side rooted to the bottom of the Ryman Premier League.

The game was preceded by a minutes silence in memory of Peter Gough a good friend and servant of the Club over many years, who passed away on 16.10.15.

Even though November the 5th is still almost two weeks away the game came very close to an explosive start.

Boro’ kicked off at 3:07pm and when the ball was tapped back to Perry Ryan he let fly at goal from close to the half way line and very nearly caught the visitor’s keeper, Callum Thomas, unprepared.

The young custodian just managed to tip the ball over his bar to prevent a very early reverse for his side.

After almost producing a goal in less than 10 seconds things settled to a period of fairly moderate play during which neither side dominated and real chances were about as few and far between as hen’s teeth.

A Freddie Grant effort was deflected out for a corner which was comfortably cleared and Kojo Awotwi had the best chance for VCD Athletic but, when clear on goal managed to shoot wide from little more than 8 yards.

Tommy Wright put in a good low cross from the left which agonisingly passed through the 6 yard box without a touch from either side.

Following a spat of “handbags” near the half way line between Awotwi and Ryan, Boro’ broke away and Harry Williams was shaping to shoot when he was brought down by Bruce leaving Mr Ainscow to point immediately to the penalty spot.

Perry Ryan blasted home the kick to give Boro’ the lead after 26 minutes. Farnborough 1-0 VCD Athletic.

Boro’ made a change by replacing the injured CJ Fearn with Jack Barton on 27 minutes.

On the half hour Williams was put clear by Freddie Grant but saw his curling shot go just wide of the right hand post.

Richard Avery raised his hand to Jack Barton in an off-the-ball incident and was shown a straight red by Referee Ainscow on 34 minutes.

Williams ran clear on the left of the area and stroked the ball home to double the home side’s lead on 35 minutes. Farnborough 2-0 VCD Athletic.

A VCD Athletic free kick just in from the corner flag was headed over the bar by Gary MacDonald and Tupper gathered the corner.

With five minutes to go, Harry Grant played a good ball over the defence which put Tommy Wright through on goal but on rounding the keeper he pushed the ball wider than he would have liked and fired past the post from a narrow angle.

In added time Harry Williams came very close to his second of the day and Boro’s third but his effort was blocked in the nick of time.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 2-0 VCD Athletic

Not the most exciting of halves (apart from the opening 10 seconds), but a satisfactory scoreline for the home side who were not able to produce the quality of play seen in Monday night’s League Cup tie.

Enforced changes of personnel together with the realisation of the importance of three points no doubt had an effect on their more tentative approach.

The visitors got the second period away at 4:07pm having made three changes at the break.

Hamilton, Graham and Awotwi being replaced by Bakare, Tchonang and the recently departed Boro’ player, L’heureux Menga.

Despite being a man down, VCD Athletic, with three fresh pairs of legs, began the half with renewed vigour and Joe Tupper was called upon to deal with several high balls in to the area.

The first real attempt on goal saw Nicholas Brown have a good effort saved low down near the foot of a post.

Following a free kick a deflected cross saw the ball reach Menga in a good position but the big fella made a hash of his headed attempt and Tupper saved.

When Simmonds made space for himself his weak finish posed no problem for Joe Tupper.

Around the sixty minute mark Tommy Wright resorted to a shot from distance but it lacked power and Thomas saved easily.

Boro’ replaced Harry Grant with Lewis Collins on 68 minutes.

A corner for the visitors saw Simmonds with a downward header go wide of the post.

With 15 minutes left Boro’ were awarded a free kick about 40 yards out on the left which was delayed for a while and MacDonald then over hit his kick which went harmlessly over for a goal kick.

Perry Ryan was forced to leave the field for attention to a cut cheek and seemed to wait ages to be called back into the fray.

Boro’s final sub saw Nicholas Brown replaced by Dean Joseph-Whittingham on 79 minutes.

With four minutes remaining, Harry Williams went clear and his shot on target brought a good save from Thomas.

The 3 minutes of added time saw Lewis Collins force home Boro’s third after Williams had persevered and got the ball across. Farnborough 3-0 VCD Athletic.

Richie Graham was booked for dissent and finally, Freddie Grant hit a 30 yard free kick wide of the target.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 3-0 VCD Athletic

Boro’ have played a lot better for less reward, but this was surely a case of the end result being of paramount importance.

With four tough away trips coming up there will be no time to savour the rare feeling of back to back wins AND two clean sheets. Good luck to the lads on their travels.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: