Boro’ go down to the odd goal in five.

In this first meeting of the two sides relegated last season, both were fielding a new look squad. Staines held a slight advantage having not experienced Boro’s off field problems and as a result had been able to assemble their squad earlier and had enjoyed twice as much competitive game time.

The visitors kicked off and attacked down the left resulting in a shot on goal which was just too high.

Following clearance of a Boro’ free kick Staines countered at speed leading to a hectic few minutes for the home defence.

Victor Sylvestre Brotons kept his side on level terms with a series of good saves and punched clearances.

However, it was the home side who had the first clear cut opportunity when Harry Williams was brought down and a penalty was awarded. Taking the kick himself, Williams hit a strong shot  towards the left corner only for Jack Turner to make a good diving save at full stretch.

Boro’ renewed their efforts and a cross come shot from Nicholas Brown dropped just over the bar.

When the visitors attacked again Abdulla’s shot went just over.

With Boro’ passing their way out of defence Referee’s Carmichael inadvertantly got in the way and returned possession to Staines.

Boro’ took the lead on 33 minutes when Bobbie Dale was put clear and made no mistake. Farnborough 1-0 Staines Town.

Mr. Carmichael made another blunder when awarding a goal kick after CJ clearly got a touch on the ball for what should have been
a corner. Perhaps poetic justice for his earlier untimely intervention.

Abdulla, who had been warned earlier was shown a yellow card following a further foul.

In the final minutes which included one minute of added time, Boakeye shot wide from distance and Nicholas Brown saw a wild effort fly well wide.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 1-0 Staines Town

Something of a scrappy half which saw Boro’ just about deserving of their slender lead. But for some good saves by both keepers, especially Turner’s penalty save, the score might well have been 2-2.

The second half got away at 8:45pm and Staines drew level after just five minutes when Luke Wanadio skipped past two defenders before slotting home on 50 minutes. Farnborough 1-1 Staines Town.

Boro’ replaced the injured Nicholas Brown with Nick Awford after 51 minutes.

The home side got back in front following two good saves by Turner and when the keeper parried a Yasin Benel-Mhanni effort Dale
was quick to react and claim his second goal of the night on 52 minutes. Farnborough 1-2 Staines Town.

In a busy few minutes, Awford and Wanadio were booked and Williams came close to increasing Boro’s lead.

Both sides made further changes with Boro’ replacing Jordan Wynter with Nathan Chambers on 63 minutes.

A double substitution for Staines saw Abdulla and Kalu make way for Hutchinson and Okuleye on 67 minutes.

With ten minutes of normal time remaining Turner saved a Dale header and when the striker was put through again the keeper blocked his effort with his legs.

Staines replaced Felix with Prince M’Bengui on 81 minutes.

Then against the run of play, Staines drew level. Boro’ were slow to clear their lines and substitute, Jack Hutchinson took full
advantage after 82 minutes. Farnborough 2-2 Staines Town.

Play for several minutes was end to end but one always had a feeling that the visitors having been twice behind, felt they could snatch the points.

This proved sadly true when they went ahead for the first time in the 89th minute with a scrappy goal from close in by CoxFarnborough 2-3 Staines Town.

Boro’ made their final change immediately L’heureux replacing Nditi but despite every effort throughout the five added minutes were not able to get level.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 2-3 Staines Town

A disappointing result for their efforts and a second consecutive home defeat against a Staines team who did not play like a side who had shipped 7 goals on Saturday. Better luck in the FA Cup next Saturday.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: