Errors cost Boro’ dearly as they exit Cup

Boro’ fielded the same starting line-up as on Saturday, but the game was just five minutes old when things started to go wrong.

Setting the marker for Boro’s misfortunes Referee Mark Greenwood awarded Kingstonian a dubious free kick near the left touchline.

The kick soared deep into the Boro’ area and Sylvestre Brotons seemed to have gathered safely when Dan Bennett clattered into
him causing the ball to fly up out of his grasp and fortunately fall kindly for Kempton allowing  him to tap home after 6 minutes. Farnborough 0-1 Kingstonian.

Jordan Wynter was injured in a challenge and left the field for attention. It seemed clear he would not be able to continue, but
before he was replaced, Boro’ fell further behind.

A shot from just outside the area passed through a trio of defenders which meant Sylvestre Brotons saw it late and did well to keep it out diving to his left.

No defenders had fallen back to cover and then Smith was left alone to tap in and double the visitor’s lead on 11 minutes. Farnborough 0-2 Kingstonian.

Boro’ were then able to replace the injured Wynter with Nick Awford after 12 minutes.

Both sides had chances over the next 15 minutes with Tolfrey gathering an Nditi free kick which cleared the wall.

Kingstonian, following a move down the left started by Bennett, could only  watch as the final cross evaded everyone then Kempton blazed over from the edge of the box.

When CJ Fearn’s shot was kept out by Tolfrey it was the visitors turn to look on as the ball fell to Yasin Benel-Mhanni who squared the ball
for Harry Williams to score from close in on 27 minutes. Farnborough 1-2 Kingstonian.

The goal gave Boro’ renewed hope and they enjoyed their best period of the half.

CJ shot over from 20 yards following a good move on the right and shortly after Dale ran through and rounded the keeper but his shot from the narrowest of angles was prevented from crossing the line just inside the post.

CJ again battled his way into the box beating several defenders before the combined efforts of three more finally got the ball away.

Bennett, who was having a much better game than on Saturday, saw one effort ease past the post. Not sure if it was intended as a shot, or a cross.

However, the tricky winger was soon back in the action and took full advantage when Nditi slipped as he attempted to intercept a
pass and Bennett ran strongly on and when Cole also failed to stop him he duly gave his side a two goal cushion once again on 40 minutes. Farnborough 1-3 Kingstonian.

Having gone two ahead once more, the visitors finished the half the stronger of the sides and when a Bennett cross was missed by Goode, Victor saved well to deny Peter Dean.

The Boro’ keeper  then dived to stop a strong swerving shot from Aaron Goode. The ball was lobbed back over the keeper into the net by Casey, but he was clearly offside.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 1-3 Kingstonian

Not the happiest 45 minutes for Boro’ who had played well enough at times without reaching the standards of we had witnessed on Saturday.

The injury to Wynter which resulted in positional changes clearly had an adverse effect and coupled with a poor decision prior to the first goal and individual errors, saw them two goals down which was not a true reflection of the game.

The second period saw Kingstonian almost increase their lead in the 48th minute when Sylvester Brotons did well to keep out an Inns header from a free kick.

The Boro’ keeper made two more good saves first stopping a shot from Sweeney following a cross from Bennett, then turning a Casey effort over for a corner.

With just over half an hour left Lewis Collins had a fierce shot saved by Tolfrey with his legs.

Boro’ made a double substitution in the 71st minute in an effort to inject a bit of pace for the remaining twenty or so minutes, with Lheureux and Chambers replacing Barton and Ben-Elmhanni.

Lheureux had created problems when he came on last Saturday and again used his speed and size to advantage while Chambers also added a different dimension.

Kingstonian replaced Dean with Adam Doyle on 77 minutes with Doyle going up front to add his height to the attack.

However, with Boro’ throwing caution go the wind to try and salvage something, Doyle was soon deployed in a more traditional defensive role.

Even though Boro’ were mostly attacking, Victor still had to make  another good save when Kingstonian countered with five minutes of normal time remaining.

The visitors had now clearly shut up shop and used every opportunity to slow things down. They replaced Bennett with Hopkinson in the 88th minute and packed their defence to Boro’s frustration.

A long free kick from Cole was headed on and the tireless efforts of CJ Fearn saw him jink around a defender before slotting home in the 89th minute. Farnborough 2-3 Kingstonian. 

This made for a frantic 5 minutes of added time. Despite their every effort Boro’ were held off by a resolute Kingstonian defence.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 2-3 Kingstonian

So, Boro’ once again make an early exit from the FA Cup, but not without a fight. We are left to wonder how different things might have been had we not been rather unfairly reduced to 10 men on Saturday.

With patience and with more playing time together I still feel this predominantly young side can improve and will surprise a few teams as the season goes on.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: