Bobbie’s brace bags impressive Farnborough a deserved 3 points

With Boro’ looking to bounce back from Saturday’s heavy defeat against Canvey Island they were likely to face stiff opposition from Monday’s visitors who are sitting comfortably in 4th position and enjoyed a good FA Cup win on Saturday against Lowestoft Town of the Vanarama National League North.

Boro’ fielded yet another right back in Marc Ethelston, Perry Ryan joined Martin Dynan, in for the unavailable Tom Broadbent, in the back four and Matt Bevans started in midfield.

The visitors got the game underway at 19:45 playing towards the PRE and were the first to present a real threat when their skipper, Jason Prior, struck from some way out but the ball was always swerving away from the target and finished well wide.

Collins, in a defensive role blocked well for a corner and Prior was again in action heading across the goal mouth and wide of the far post.

Boro’ were awarded a free kick after 12 minutes and Ryan’s effort was deflected for a corner which Smith gathered safely.

After defending a corner Boro’ broke quickly and several players combined in a good move which took them into the Bognor Regis area where Bobbie Dale produced a clinical finish to put the home side a goal up after 14 mins. Farnborough 1-0 Bognor Regis Town.

Boro’ were feeling their feet at this stage and the new personnel were having a positive influence with their cool heads and experience which spread confidence throughout the whole side.

Bognor Regis made several openings but Pearce shot hastily wide and then after a good move across the box from left to right, Nilson also shot wide.

Boro’ had a couple of free kicks both taken by Perry Ryan with one being blocked by the wall and the other being scrambled clear.

A good long ball down the left by Tommy Wright saw Harry Williams run on to the goal line and cross into the middle, but nobody could quite make contact.

Boro’ continued to push forward and had several efforts blocked before Ryan got a shot away, but was both high and wide of the target.

Prior, not for the first time, committed a foul, but again got away without any action being taken.

When Bognor Regis looked as if they might get something from an attack, Matt Bevans did well to block a stinging shot from Pearce.

With five minutes remaining of the half, Harry Williams burst clear of the defence and Smith was called on to make a fine save at the expense of a corner.

The Bognor Regis skipper, Prior finally ran out of luck and was shown a yellow card after he clattered Joe Tupper following a corner.

The last action of the half, which had two added minutes, saw Robson bring down Bobbie Dale just outside the area, but Ryan skied the kick well over.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 1-0 Bognor Regis Town

A much more disciplined performance from Boro’ who thoroughly deserved their lead and with a bit more luck could have been further ahead.

The second period got going at 20:46 and Boro’ attacked from the off.

When Harry Williams got through he appeared to be dragged down, but strangely, Mr Webb gave a free kick to the visitors.

As if to prove how a single decision can influence matters, Bognor Regis countered from the free kick and Snorre Nilson equalised with a strong finish on 47 minutes. Farnborough 1-1 Bognor Regis Town.

Drawing level seemed to give Bognor Regis a boost and home fans were relieved when Prior shot just wide of the post.

With a little more than 30 minutes left Dale passed inside to Bevans who hit a fine shot which Grant Smith did well to turn over the top for a corner.

Dale suffered a knock in midfield but was able to continue after treatment.

The next few minutes saw Bognor Regis make a change replacing Alex Parsons with Alfie Rutherford on 62 minutes.

Boro’ saw a promising move hooked clear by Robson and Perry Ryan was booked for a foul on the right hand edge of the area.

Dale had another good run down the right, cut inside and shot only to see Smith block with his feet.

The visitors made a second change with Stuart Green coming on for Dan Beck after 70 minutes.

Minutes later Joe Tupper punched clear a cross from the right before Stuart Green shot wide.

Boro’s first change coming in the 74th minute saw Jack Barton come on for Tommy Wright.

Within minutes of coming on Barton hit a cracking shot which Smith did well to turn over the bar, before an effort from Dale went agonisingly across the face of the goal and past the far post.

With ten minutes remaining Bevans reached the goal line a few feet from the post and appeared to be bundled over but Referee, Webb awarded a goal kick.

At the other end Tupper rose to claim the ball from a Bognor Regis corner.

With five minutes to go, Boro’ failed to clear, but Alfie Rutherford shot hastily wide to the relief of Boro’ supporters.

A minute later Williams passed inside to Bobbie Dale who coolly slotted home his second of the night to restore Boro’s lead with four minutes to go. Farnborough 2-1 Bognor Regis Town.

Boro’ replaced Dale who was clearly feeling the effects of his earlier knock and brought on Ed Sanders on 90 minutes and the Referee indicated a minimum of three minutes added time.

It was a long three minutes for success starved Boro’ fans and Bognor Regis were pushing for most of it.

Joe Tupper did well to claim a cross from the left and following his clearance Boro’ saw out the remaining time to claim a well deserved victory.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 2-1 Bognor Regis Town

The result and the manner in which it was achieved should do much to boost confidence in the dressing room and on the terraces.

This was a fine all round team performance and the steadying influence of the new guys should not be underestimated.

Credit to Spencer for bringing them in and integrating them at a crucial time.

History tells us that King George V was once asked his opinion of Bognor Regis and his reply was “Bugger Bognor”. I am pleased to say that I had no need to echo his sentiments tonight.

A fine win and a welcome three points – let’s keep it going and well done to all.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: