Boro’ fail to heed three minute warning

Farnborough can’t Hand-le hat-trick hero Louis

Much in need of three points to improve their chance of survival, Boro’ should have seen the writing on the wall when Jefferson Louis all too easily opened the score after just three minutes to put Wealdstone ahead.


The Match Officials and two Captains before kick off

Boro’ got the game under way at 3.01 pm playing towards the Moor Road End and when Jamie Hand received a knock in conceding a free kick midway into the Boro’ half, the kick was taken quickly and resulted in Louis almost casually able to put the visitors ahead. Hand was still off the pitch awaiting the Referee’s signal to return. Farnborough 0-1 Wealdstone.

Just four more minutes later the ball was played back to Magnus Norman on his left foot and in attempting to get the ball on to his stronger right foot Matt Ball was able to close him down and block his clearance. The ball rolled agonisingly across the face of the goal and Louis was left with an even simpler chance to score his and Wealdstone’s second of the match after 7 minutes. Disastrous. Farnborough 0-2 Wealdstone.

Things did not improve and when Richens was caught in possession in midfield the ball was played through to Louis who looked odds on to get his hat trick. On this occasion, Norman saved well to deny the big number 10, but one couldn’t help thinking it was merely delaying the inevitable.

The momentum was all with the visitors and they had three further attempts on the Boro’ goal. Norman made a comfortable save from Louis and following a Matt Ball free kick, O’Nien’s lob was only just too high. Finally, when they did get the ball in the net again it was ruled out for off-side.

Boro’ did manage brief moments of possession and in fact moved the ball around quite well without really threatening the opposition. When Hand played a good long ball out to Grant on the right, the youngster’s first touch was poor allowing the ball to run out of play.

Boro’s first real attempt on goal came in the 33rd minute, when Hand tried his luck from 30 yards only to see it fly well wide of the target.


Midfielder Jamie Hand lets fly from distance

In the 45th minute Louis turned inside Treacher and layed the ball off before taking the return pass and completing a well deserved hat trick. Farnborough 0-3 Wealdstone.

In added time Boro’ were thrown a life line when Parker conceded a penalty and received a yellow card. Jamie White struck his kick well enough to the keeper’s left, but North made a good diving save.

There was no time to restart before the half time whistle blew with the score remaining: Boro’ 0 – Wealdstone 3.

Half Time: Farnborough 0-3 Wealdstone

A poor half for Boro’ who had two or three players clearly under par and apart from the occasional spell, the visitors experience allowed them to run the game.


Jamie White shows his disappointment at missing the penalty

The second half got away at 4:06pm with Wealdstone attacking once again and after 4 minutes, McGleish turned in number four from close range following a left side corner on 49 minutes. Farnborough 0-4 Wealdstone.

Boro’ did look a bit more lively and threatened the visitors goal. North saved well from Hand at the expense of a corner then Norman turned a Matt Ball effort out for a corner at the other end.

A good effort from CJ Fearn was just too high, then Boro’ made their first sub. An off colour Dan Bennett being replaced by Ngamvoulou on 55 minutes.

CJ shot narrowly wide from a corner, then Hand was booked for a foul on Ball.

Boro’ took off Michael Richens who was clearly not at his best and replaced him with Josh Shama on 63 minutes.

When Robertson was booked for a foul on Parker, he was replaced by Derek Tieku on 67 minutes.

Stones also made a double substitution replacing hat-trick hero Jefferson Louis with Wright and McGleish with Richard Jolly. They made their final change five minutes later when Shaun Lucien replaced O’Nien on 72 minutes.

Boro’ were reduced to ten men when Hand was dismissed following a second yellow in the 74th minute. Yes, it was a strong challenge, but really not that bad.

Boro’s substitutions had added a bit of life with Derek Tieku showing some good touches and bringing a good save from North.

With five minutes remaining Norman was quickly out to claim the ball at the feet of Matt Ball and Boro’ threw bodies forward in search of a consolation.

Ngamlouvou headed just over from a left cross before Jamie White grabbed Farnborough a goal in the 90th minute. Farnborough 1-4 Wealdstone.

The four added minutes producing no further changes, the score remained: Boro’ 1 – Wealdstone 4.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 1-4 Wealdstone

Once again Boro’s predominantly young team were not able to claim any points from a vastly more experienced and better organised side. Sadly, when the visiting fans started singing ‘you’re going down’ after their 1st goal went in, it was difficult to argue against them.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Next up for Farnborough: Monday 6 April (KO 3pm), Basingstoke Town (away).

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: