Tanners halt Boro’s run.

Boro’s recent good run of results hit the buffers with the visit of Leatherhead.

The game began on time with Boro’ kicking off and attacking the Moor Road End.


Santa Saturday 2015!

The home side were quickly on the offensive and Tom Broadbent, playing as a left wingback forced a left side corner after two minutes. The kick was shovelled away by the Tanners defence for another corner.

This corner led to a Jamie White thunderbolt from the corner of the box bringing a good save from Louis Wells diving to his right.

Home fans didn’t have long to wait before a tangle in the visitors defence gave Bogdan Vastsuk an opening and he side footed home from the edge of the area after 5 minutes, for his seventh goal since beginning his loan from Reading. Farnborough 1-0 Leatherhead.

Boro’s lead was short lived the equaliser from Kiernan Hughes-Mason, coming when Aaron Bufton paid dearly for rushing out of his area only able to watch in frustration as the Tanners number 10 netted to level the scores on 10 minutes. Farnborough 1-1 Leatherhead.

More jitters in Boro’s defence saw Bufton make up for his earlier blunder by saving well from Adeloye and preventing the visitors from taking the lead.

Nicholas Brown made a good run down the right before running out of space before he could get in his cross. Vastsuk appeared to fall awkwardly during another Boro’ attack, but recovered after treatment.

The Tanners were having the better of play at this stage and Bufton came to Boro’s rescue again, making a point blank save to deny Hughes-Mason. Tom Broadbent then headed a good cross out for a corner to relieve further pressure.

Just after the half hour both sides had good chances. Firstly, a well worked free kick ended with a good effort from Jenkinson drawing another fine save from Wells.

Next, Adeloye had a great chance but scuffed his shot wide of the mark.

The remainder of the half plus the two added minutes were without further real chances, though a Collins free kick for the home side avoided all efforts to make contact and ran out for a goal kick.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 1-1 Leatherhead

A fairly even half with both sides having their moments and chances, but both goals coming in quick succession from defensive errors.

The second period got away at 4:03pm with the home side first to show with an attack down the left and an overlapping run by Tom Broadbent saw his shot well saved by Wells at the foot of his post.

Another Broadbent cross passed through the box without anyone able to reach it and a cross, come shot from Dembele at the other end, also passed everyone by and went out for a goal kick.

With just under 15 minutes of the half gone, Bufton was alert to the danger of a long through ball and came quickly out to gather safely.

Adeloye screwed another effort across the face of goal and out for a throw on the far side.

Another Leatherhead attack saw Boro’s defenders falling like ninepins and Dembele took full advantage to score from close in and put his side in front after 60 minutes. Farnborough 1-2 Leatherhead.

Jenkinson came close to an equaliser for Boro’ on 65 mins but his shot was palmed over by Wells for a corner.

Both sides made a substitution on 68 minutes, Boro’ replacing Gary MacDonald with Hussein Mohammed and for Leatherhead, Matt Smart came on in place of Josh Gallagher.

With 15 minutes remaining, Hughes-Mason shot wide from distance before seeing a yellow card for a rather pointless foul.

A Tom Broadbent 30 yard free kick was only just too high for Boro’ then the home side made a further substitution with Nicholas Brown making way for Ryan Zidyana on 79 minutes.

Referee, Clark booked Adam Cash after a series of verbal exchanges, then Hughes-Mason brought another good save from Aaron Bufton to keep the visitor’s lead at a single goal.

A series of changes saw Leatherhead replace Dembele with Mahal on 66 minutes, then Adeloye with Stephen Okoh on 68 minutes.

Boro’ made their final change also on 88 minutes, when debutant John Oyenuga made way for Josh Francis.

Boro’ were pushing hard for an equaliser for the remaining few minutes and the three minutes of added time and it was no great surprise when a quick break caught them out well into added time.

Once again, with his defence depleted, Bufton charged forward and this time, substitute Ryan Mahal steered home the Tanners third goal. Farnborough 1-3 Leatherhead.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 1-3 Leatherhead

A disappointing display from Boro’ with far too many errors allowing Leatherhead, who were in all honesty, not much better, to benefit from chances which came their way and claim the three points.

In fairness, but for some very good saves by Tanners skipper, Louis Wells, the result could have been rather different, but on the day, Boro’ truly didn’t deserve much more than they got.

With another brace of away games coming up this week, Boro’ must put this result behind them and regroup, or the positives of the last few games will count for nothing.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: