Theophanous strike puts battling Boro’ through in Trophy Replay.

Facing the Magpies for a second time in a little over 48 hours, Boro’ made a couple of changes from Saturday’s line-up.

Goalkeeper Barnes came in for Rodak, who was playing for the Fulham U21’s and Arnau joined Fearn in the starting eleven with Page on the bench.

The earlier rain had ceased by the time the match got under way a little after 7:45pm with the visitors playing towards the PRE.

The early exchanges saw little in the way of clear chances to pose a threat to either goal until Theophanous hit a speculative dipping shot from 35 yards, which just cleared the bar.

The visitors were getting into their stride and were denying Boro’ any time on the ball without creating anything much in the way of real chances.

Around 15 minutes Grant charged down a clearance which rebounded to another defender and Xapi had a good run down the right which came to nothing.

Richens then hit one of his specials from 30 yards out on the right and Putnins made a good diving save before the danger was cleared.

Another Xapi run ended when he was brought down near the goal line on the right hand edge of the box and Richens free kick was cleared.

On the half hour Culley cut in from the left and shot just over the bar.

The Magpies were soon back on the attack and just before half time, Tison-Liscaris and Clifton exchanged passes and broke into the Boro’ area hotly pursued by Milenge.

All three players went down when Milenge tackled, but Tison-Liscaris got a shot away which Barnes blocked and when Clifton seized on the opportunity, Barnes did well to save at his feet.

With Maidenhead counter attacked, Xapi was booked for a foul on Nicholls just outside the Boro’ area. He joined Foot and Culley who had both gone into Mr O’Donnell’s book earlier on.

Two minutes of added time were played without serious threat to either goal.

Half Time: Farnborough 0-0 Maidenhead United

A fairly scrappy first 45 minutes which did little to enthuse the purists, but did show that the Magpies were just as physical in denying Boro’ possession as they had been in previous encounters.

The Referee, while not as contentious as the one on Saturday, was just as easily taken in by the antics of the visitors whenever they were tackled and managed three bookings for very little.

Unless we see an improvement in the second half, it could be a long night.

The second period commenced at 8:53pm with Boro’ replacing Xapi with Page.

Whatever may have been said during the interval, Boro’ set out with a bit more purpose and following a decent move down the left, Grant’s cross was a little too strong and drifted over for a goal kick.

On 51 minutes, Grant slipped a pass to Theophanous, who turned and sent a left foot shot narrowly wide of the far post.

About 10 minutes in, the rain returned and swept almost straight down the pitch into the faces of the home side which did nothing to aid their control.

When the visitors counter attacked, Barnes was only able to parry an effort , but fell on the ball at the second attempt.

When Nisbet was booked for a foul on Theophanous, the free kick was cleared, but not for long and Boro’ looked likely to get something as the ball flew back and forth across the area.

The game was a real end to end encounter now as both sides sought to break the deadlock. Brice blocked a Tison-Liscaris shot/cross for a corner which produced nothing.

Then at the other end, a Theophanous shot from the left side was deflected onto the post and off Putnins for a corner which was cleared at the cost of another corner on the right.

The visitors made a substitution after 68 minutes, bringing on Tarpey for Azeez.

Tarpey was quickly into the action, but his free kick on the left touchline was too strong and drifted over everyone and out for a goal kick.

Boro’ went straight on to the attack and a neat move involving several players saw the ball threaded through to Theophanous on the left side of the area.

The striker took a touch before thumping a shot past the diving Putnins on 70 minutes. Farnborough 1-0 Maidenhead United.


Maidenhead made a second sub after 75 minutes replacing Tison-Liscaris with Jacob Erskine. As expected, the visitors went all out for an equaliser and Boro’ faced a period of constant pressure.

Richens headed out from beside a post and Foot made a good blocking tackle to frustrate Erskine.

With Boro’ fans anxiously watching the clock, the visitors made a final sub which saw Upward being replaced by Jonathan Hippolyte after 87 minutes.

With two minutes of normal time left, it looked as if Grant might calm the nerves with a second goal, but his effort from the edge of the area, was well saved by Putnins.

Grant seemed to have got a knock (or some mud in his eye) which required treatment. On resumption, Mr O’Donnell added a minimum of 4 minutes.

Boro’ set about retaining the ball and Page ran into the right hand corner where his shielding of the ball led to him being fouled by Nisbet. Well done Pagey!!

Finally, after a long 4 minutes the Referee blew for time.

Full Time: Farnborough 1-0 Maidenhead United

The game was not pretty, but the result was sweet.

Boro’ deserved the win for their tenacious refusal to be beaten which saw them over the line, just as their stout defending on Saturday when a man short.

We can now look forward to a home tie against North Ferriby United on the 24th January. Well done to everyone.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Next up for Farnborough – Saturday 17 Janaury (KO 3pm), Hemel Hempstead Town (away).

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: