No last day Joy for Boro’

For their final game of the season Boro’ faced Concord Rangers currently in 7th position and against whom they not enjoyed a happy history.

Concord have won all three of their previous meetings scoring 14 goals in the process and have yet to concede. The last meting in December, saw Boro’ lose 7 – 0 on the Island.

Prior to kick off Michael Richens received his trophy for Goal of the Season from Dom Lloyd and Bob Perry presented CJ Fearn with the trophy for fans Player of the Season.

The match kicked off at 3:03pm following a reverently observed minutes silence to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the tragic Bradford fire in which 56 fans tragically lost their lives with many more suffering life changing injuries.

After both sides started tentatively, Boro’ were first to threaten when a cross from Freddie Grant was met by Jamie White and his shot was narrowly wide.

The visitors then came close on two occasions when firstly, Gardner chased well and got a shot away which found the side netting then Taaffe met a Walker cross, but only got a partial touch on the ball and sliced wide.

The game was largely controlled by defences and Rangers skipper, Steve King, seemed to win every high ball played forward while the even taller James White was also prominent and dropped back whenever Boro’ attacked.

Boro’ were passing the ball around well and looked comfortable with players continuing to show understanding as they had against Eastbourne last week.

White went one on one with Vickers and the Concord keeper did well to deny him blocking the shot with his feet. Then Richens ensured Vickers remained alert with a strong ground shot from outside the area.

James White shot narrowly wide for the visitors before CJ made a timely challenge to avert danger on the edge of the 6 yard box.

When Miles brought Treacher down near the touchline just before half time, Referee Simon Knapp remained consistent by giving him a lecture rather than the card he deserved.IMG_5579

The noisy Concord Rangers manager Danny Cowley questions a Match Official’s decision

Half Time: Farnborough 0-0 Concord Rangers

A half which neither side dominated in which Boro’ worked hard to keep a clean sheet while creating a couple of good chances.

Second half commenced at 4:05pm with the visitors replacing Steve Cawley with Tony Stokes.

Just three minutes in Alex Woodyard took advantage when Boro’ were slow to clear and put Lewis Taaffe in to side foot home on 48 minutes. Farnborough 0-1 Concord Rangers.

Boro’ missed a chance to equalise almost straight away when Tumwa mis-hit a White cross when just 8 yards out.

Brice then had a shot blocked following a corner and CJ headed wide from a Freddie Grant free kick.

Barnes made a good save from King’s header before the visitors brought on Sam Collins to replace Taylor Miles on 60 minutes.

CJ sustained a knock to the head in a midfield clash and despite trying to carry on was forced to come off minutes later and was replaced by Josh Webb after 68 minutes.


Fearn was unable to continue after two dangerous knocks to the head

Darryl Siaw was booked for hand-ball when it looked more ball to hand, but Mr Knapp finally discovered his cards and showed him a yellow.

Dillon Barnes made a great save from White, but the ball stayed in play and led to substitute Tony Stokes deflecting the ball home from close range on 75 minutes. Farnborough 0-2 Concord Rangers.

Minutes later Richens beat the off-side trap to go one on one with Vickers, but under challenge from the keeper scooped his shot over the bar.

Concord made their final change after 82 minutes with Jay Dowie replacing Danny Glozier.

With six minutes of the ninety remaining Adam Brice was somewhat bizarrely red carded. No challenge was involved, but apparently he was dismissed for a remark made to a Concord player.

On 86 minutes Stokes put the final nail in Boro’s coffin when his looping shot beat Barnes and went in to the top corner. Farnborough 0-3 Concord Rangers.

The remaining time plus three added minutes elapsed without further incident.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 0-3 Concord Rangers

So, Concord continued their dominance of Boro’ and it will be some time before they meet again unless in a Cup competition. A disappointing end to a very disappointing season, but we can at least take some positives from the way the team has played in the last couple of games.

A very young side has at least shown that given a settled team and time to grow used to each other they can produce some decent football.

Whatever league they ply their trade in next season let’s hope that circumstances will allow a different approach with a settled squad and less reliance on ever changing loan players.

Enjoy the Summer and keep the faith.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: