No Trophy Joy for Boro’.

Hoping to overcome opponents from the Vanarama Conference North and make it through to the Quarter -Final stage, Boro’ played well at times, but were eventually undone by two goals from set pieces and an inspired display by North Ferriby keeper, Adam Nicklin.

Ahead of the game and based on watching videos and reports from third parties, Farnborough Manager Spencer Day described the opposition as being big and brutal.

On the evidence of the game, they were certainly big, particularly striker Tom Denton at over six feet eight inches, as well as some pretty big defenders.

As for brutal, well they were brutally clinical in playing to their strengths and physically strong.

Boro’ started in purposeful mood and enjoyed the majority of possession in the opening exchanges. The first threat to either goal came seven minutes in, when Louie Theophanous shot from the edge of the area, but Nicklin was well positioned to save.

The visitors rarely got near at the other end and caused no early concerns.

Theophanous was again in action in the twelfth minute. Beckles did well to put him through one on one with Nicklin and with most expecting him to add to his goal tally, the striker attempted to round the keeper, who saved well at his feet.

One can’t help feeling that an earlier strike might have put us ahead.

Apart from Barnes punching clear from a left side corner, Boro’ were still well on top. A neat one, two between Page and Beckles, saw the latter shoot from the left side and Nicklin forced to make a good stop.

Hand was booked for a foul on Jason St Juste near the touchline and Fry’s free kick saw the lanky Denton lose his marker and head home at the near post. Farnborough 0-1 North Ferriby United.

Boro’ were soon back on the offensive and playing some good football. A Beckles cross was headed out for a corner which Richens whipped over the keeper punched clear.

After more Boro’ pressure, Beckles had a looping shot on target, but the keeper gathered under his crossbar.

Then following a free kick, a strong header from Lloyd Foot brought another fine save from Nicklin.

Around the half hour, the ‘Villagers’ won a corner on the left and this time Denton flicked the ball on for Kendall to head powerfully home and double the visitors lead. Farnborough 0-2 North Ferriby United.

Boro’ continued to apply pressure, but, the Villagers made some physical tackles with fouls on Page and Grant in quick succession Referee, David Rock choosing not to punish either.

A quick break saw the visitors come close to a third, but this time Kendall was not on target.

Just before the half ended, Theophanous was through again, but this time Nicklin blocked with his feet.

Half Time: Farnborough 0-2 North Ferriby United

A half which Boro’ dominated and but for some great saves by Nicklin, could well have had two or three goals themselves.

Instead, lady luck chose not to smile on us and this was compounded by conceding two goals from set pieces.

The second half got away at 4.02pm with the Villagers replacing Kendall and Bruce with Bolder and Peat.

Bolstered by their two goal advantage, the visitors initially became more adventurous and the Boro’ defence were called upon several times to avoid dropping further behind. Barnes made a couple of decent saves from headers.

Boro’ brought on Sow to replace Culley on 69 minutes and the visitors clearly changed their tactics with a view to containment. They defended much more deeply and invited Boro’ to come at them.

For the last twenty minutes plus the three added, Boro’ did try and break them down, but were met with a determined defence.

All too often Boro’ played the long, high, ball through the middle which was inevitably headed clear by well drilled central defenders.

Although they kept trying, apart from Beckles again going one to one with the keeper, who did well to spread himself and save, Boro’ had no further real chances despite forcing numerous corners.

Right near the end, Harry Grant showed his frustration when penalised and was booked for something he said.

Full Time: Farnborough 0-0 North Ferriby United

So, no luck for the Boro’ and an end to their Trophy trail for this season. Not a bad performance, but beaten by a mature, well drilled side.

With our young side still improving we must now concentrate on league survival wiith the odd Hants Senior Cup game to ease the pressure, perhaps.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Next up for Farnborough – Saturday 31 Janaury (KO 3pm), Sutton United (away).

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: