Luck-less Farnborough crash to a Bank Holiday defeat in Sussex

A ruthless Burgess Hill Town inflicted Farnborough’s first Ryman Premier League Division defeat at The Green Elephants Stadiun, just two games into the Season.

The Farnborough bench included two new signings – tricky winger Yasin Ben-Elmhanni and defender Deane Joseph-Whittingham.

Nine minutes into the game, Burgess Hill Town made progress well down the left wing before Kirkwood received the ball on the edge of the box firing past Sylvestre Brotons and against the bar.

However, the Hillians did break the deadlock on 17 minutes with a high shot from Lee Harding outside the box which bounced in off the post. Burgess Hill Town 1-0 Farnborough.

Four minutes later, Harry Williams drove into the Burgess Hill Town Penalty box before being taken out by Andy Pearson who mis-timed his tackle. The Referee awarded Farnborough a Penalty but the defender escaped without a caution.


Harry Williams bursts into the Penalty area before being taken out by Andy Pearson

Williams dusted himself of to take the Penalty but his shot into the bottom right-hand corner was saved by James but strike-partner Bobbie Dale was on hand to slide home the rebound from close range. Burgess Hill Town 1-1 Farnborough.

On 36 minutes, a Sylvestre Brotons goal kick bounced back into the Farnborough half and the visiting shot-stopper was forced into a save on the edge of the box and Kirkwood attempted to place the rebound into the goal but Fearn was in the right place at the right time to clear the danger.

Minutes before half-time, Collins got past Fisk in the left-back position before pulling the ball back to Williams but the Cheltenham Town loanee had his shot deflected wide by Pearson.

When Farnborough only partially cleared a corner, Miles fired the final shot of the half over the bar from the edge of the box as the Referee blew for half time in what was an even game.

HALF TIME: Burgess Hill Town 1-1 Farnborough

Young striker Nathan Chambers replaced defender Martin Dynan for Farnborough at half time.

Five minutes from the restart, Collins drove through the heart of midfield before pulling the trigger but Dan Harding blocked well and Barton rebound shot was deflected behind for a corner.

On 55 minutes, came a key turning point in the game. Chambers broke through on goal and just about managed to burst into the Penalty before last man Pearson, who arguably should have been cautioned in the first half for giving away a Penalty, clearly hauled the Farnborough substitute back. The Referee, Graeme Ions, spotted this and indicated for a Farnborough free-kick.

With Pearson being the last man for Burgess Hill Town, in the laws of the game, he should have been shown a straight red card for ‘denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity’.

This sparked a melee between the two sets of players and Farnborough’s Adam Nditi was sent off for his part in this.

The Referee then brandished a only yellow card to the culprit, Andy Pearson and to rub salt into the wound, Farnborough were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box, which came to nothing.

Having to play 35 minutes with ten men was very hard on this young Farnborough side.

Burgess Hill Town were starting to make their man advantage count, creating a number of chances with Lee Harding looping a back post header over Sylvestre Brotons bar after a cross from the right.

At the other end, great link-up play between Williams, Chambers and Dale saw the latter hit a powerful strike just wide of James’ near post.

On 65 minutes, Pat Harding had a header from close range well saved by Sylvestre Brotons and Keehan put a diving header just wide from a follow-up cross.

Spencer Day handed new signing Yasin Ben-Elmahanni his debut, coming on in midfield in place of Lewis Collins on 68 minutes.

A minute after the Farnborough substitution, Sylvestre Brotons was drawn into a series of fine saves, but eventually substitute Chris Smith volleyed home a powerful effort from close range. Burgess Hill Town 2-1 Farnborough.

After recieving the ball from the left touchline, Joe Keehan powered a strike from distance at goal by Fearn bravely got his body in the way of it to take the sting off the shot.

Two minutes from time, a Burgess Hill Town corner was cleared as far as Ben-Elmhanni who was dispossessed by Dan Pearse and the former Farnborough midfielder let fly with a low shot that trickled through a number of bodies to secure all three points for Ian Chapman’s side. Burgess Hill Town 3-1 Farnborough.

FULL TIME: Burgess Hill Town 3-1 Farnborough

That defeat dropped Farnborough to 22nd place in the Ryman Premier League Divison, with five games still in hand.

Next Up: Metropolitan Police (Home) – Saturday 5 September, kick off 3pm

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: