Late Taylor goal saves the Day!

Farnborough remained unbeaten in three after picking up a point in a 1-1 draw with Whitehawk at the Enclosed Ground in the Vanarama Conference South on Saturday afternoon.

Coming into the game Farnborough were looking to claim their third win of the season, whereas Whitehawk themselves had won three on the trot and conceded none.

The hosts looked the team most likely to get the first goal, but could not find an early opener with Danny Mills and one-time Boro’ winger Serge Makofo both spurning chances.

Adam Brice, making his first Boro’ start, should have given the visitors the lead, but the 19-year-old failed to divert his back post header from a Matt Ball free kick past John Sullivan.

With 32 minutes on the clock, Whitehawk skipper Paul Lorraine headed over Grainger’s goal as Farnborough survived another early scare.

With only a minute to go until half time, Lorraine glanced on a cross from a set piece taken from the left, into the path of full back Lee Hills who opened the scoring from close range.

Half Time: Whitehawk 1-0 Farnborough

A scrappy start to the second half saw Steve King’s side muster up the first clear opportunity after the restart as Serge Makofo could have doubled the hosts lead on 52 minutes. The 27-year-old’s dazzling run past three Farnborough defenders got him into Grainger’s box, but his shot unluckily blazed over the bar from close range.

Two minutes later, Boro’ boss Spencer Day replaced defender Aaron Tumwa with forward Joe Taylor, in the hope of creating more chances.

In the 71st minute, CJ Fearn recieved Farnborough’s third booking of the season when the youngster was very unfortunately booked for a challenge on The Hawks’ Torres.

Two minutes later, Farnborough changed things around with a double substitution with Declan McAvoy and Dan Pearse replacing Josh Webb and CJ Fearn respectively.

The Hawks again were dominating possession and pilling the pressure but also wasted numerous chances. As time was running out Farnborough started to commit numbers forward in desperate search of an equaliser.

With 15 minutes left, just after Whitehawk made their second substitution of the game with Orenuga replacing the impressive Kissock, Matt Ball tried his luck from long range but fired his shot just wide of Sullivan’s untroubled goal.

On 81 minutes an accurate cross from left-back Lee Hills found the towering Danny Mills who saw his close range header nestle just on top of the netting.

With one minute of normal time and injury time remaining, Farnborough proved that you only need one chance. Whitehawk failed to clear their lines and Fejiri Okenabirhie stole the ball back which deflected in to the path of substitute Joe Taylor who managed to slide the ball under John Sullivan – the former Sittingbourne man’s second league goal of the season.

After the game, Farnborough Manager Spencer Day told BBC Surrey: “We’re delighted we’re going away with a point because I thought for the first 44 minutes there was nothing in the game. We came with a game-plan to frustrate them and I thought we did a fabulous job. There was nothing in the game at all. In fact, I think we had the best chance where [Adam] Brice has headed over. But we gave away such a soft goal on the stroke of half time – delayed moving the ball, lost it, gave a set piece away and the guy’s [Lee Hills] come in unmarked on the second phase. To go in at half time one-nil down I thought was flattering for Whitehawk. I thought we had done a good job frustrating them.

Day continued to explain, “Second half, I thought Whitehawk stepped it up and certainly for the first thirty minutes of the half we by far the better side, they didn’t create a lot but they created three or four chances. Certainly there was a penalty decision that I know I wouldn’t be happy with if I didn’t get given that so we certainly got the rub of the green there.

“We didn’t get anything else from the Referee all game except into the last minute. So we’ve dug in, we haven’t played well, we’ve certainly missed some of our strikers, we didnt’ have any cutting edge in the second half but we’ve stuck with it and we’ve got a bit of luck in the final minute there. Again I can understand the home management being upset, we’ve got a little bit of luck and rub of the green and we’ve stolen a point.

Day added, “It shows a huge amount of credit to us, missing key people, certainly in the second half where we’ve hung in and I think we’ve restricted a very strong Whitehawk side – [they’ve missed] four or five quality chances, we’ve ridden our luck with key decisions, not going to try and defend that, and we’ve certainly had a huge amount of luck at the end there to take a point.

“So from the perspective of our hunger and our desire and our character [which was] fantastic]. But we can play an awful lot better and we certainly showed that when we have got key people missing as we did today; it was a real struggle with cutting edge upfront and we realise that with the small squad that we’re running but we’re going out of here delighted we got the point but we know very well that we’ve stolen that point today.”

Full Time: Whitehawk 1-1 Farnborough

Next up for Farnborough – Saturday 6 September (KO 3pm), Havant & Waterlooville (home) #NonLeagueDay

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: