Farnborough have a night-mare at Weston.

Despite scoring three times away from home, Spencer Day’s Farnborough side narrowly lost out on Tuesday at The Woodspring Stadium by the odd goal in seven.


Both sides pose for a pre-match photograph #FootballRemembers (Image © Weston-Super-Mare AFC)

Dayle Grubb openned the scoring for the hosts after 14 minutes when the England C Midfielder’s 30 yard free kick flew past Dillon Barnes. Weston-Super-Mare 1-0 Farnborough.

Weston-Super-Mare were then awarded a penalty after Referee Anthony Coggins spotted a foul. Dayle Grubb had his resulting spot kick parried away by Barnes but Jacob Cane was quickest to pouce on the rebound to double the hosts lead after 24 minutes. Weston-Super-Mare 2-0 Farnborough.


Dillon Barnes saved Grubb’s initial spot kick but couldn’t keep out the rebound

Arnau picked up his fourth booking of the season and was subsequently substituted on 36 minutes to be replaced by Dan Bennett. Duncan Culley was also booked for a late tackle.

On 40 minutes, recent signing Duncan Culley pulled a goal back for Farnborough with a free kick which managed to squirm out of Purnell’s reach. Weston-Super-Mare 2-1 Farnborough.

Following the goal, Farnborough ended the half strongly but couldn’t force home and equalizer before the break. With one minute of additional time being played at the end of the first half.

Half Time: Weston-Super-Mare 2-1 Farnborough

Just three minutes into the second half and Farnborough were level with Louie Theophanous bagging a well deserved equaliser. The former Staines Town frontman buried the ball past Purnell coming in from the right after excellent work from Harry Grant. Weston-Super-Mare 2-2 Farnborough.

It got even better for Spencer Day’s side when Duncan Culley drilled home his second of the evening cutting in from the left-by-line after 53 minutes. Weston-Super-Mare 2-3 Farnborough.

On 64 minutes Weston-Super-Mare were handed a lifeline when substitute Ollie Watkins saw his shot parried by Barnes and Bradley Ash was on hand to fire in the rebound. Weston-Super-Mare 3-3 Farnborough.

Farnborough continued to press for a winner, but with ten minutes to go disaster struck when a weak backpass to Barnes by the visitors defense was seized upon by Bradley Ash, who beat Barnes low down from wide on the right. Weston-Super-Mare 4-3 Farnborough.


The Seagulls celebrate a goal at The Woodspring Stadium

Full Time: Weston-Super-Mare 4-3 Farnborough

Stats courtesy of http://westonsmareafc.co.uk/

Shots on target: Weston 6, Farnborough 6
Shots off target: Weston 4, Farnborough 4
Corners: Weston 4, Farnborough 6
Offsides: Weston 2, Farnborough 0

Next up for Farnborough – Saturday 13 December (KO 3pm), Weston-Super-Mare (away).

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: