Boro are off the mark!

Two thunderbolts from Matt Ball were enough to give Farnborough their first win and three precious points.

First impression, not having visited the Grosvenor Vale Stadium before, was of a neat ground and a decent looking pitch, spoiled somewhat by being situated at the end of a narrow road with no turning area for coaches. Reversing in with carelessly parked cars and the odd telegraph pole not helping, was a lengthy process. Roy, our supporters coach driver, made it unscathed with the help of a steward and earned a spontaneous round of applause.

Boro’s injury concerns were alleviated with Page, Siaw and Fearn all featuring in the starting line up. Also named as a sub was new signing, from Woking, Adam Brice.

Boro’ started well against our newly promoted hosts who had shared the points in all three of their opening games. Skipper Lewis Ferrell was first to
test the home side, surging down the right wing before being charged off the ball by the Stones’ Scott McGleish allowing the ball to run out for a goal kick.

Courtney Fearn hit a good effort from 20 yards which struck Page and deflected wide of the goal. Page was again in action having another effort blocked and Matt Ball was inches too high in an attempt to lob the Stones keeper, Jonathan North.

The hard working Page was fouled twice in quick succession by Tom Hamblin the second one earning him a yellow card from Mr Plane. Both free kicks were taken by Matt Ball, the first being just wide on the right and the second, from the left corner of the box was headed out for a right wing corner. Dan Bennett collected the short corner and slipped a pass inside to Matt Ball who took a touch before striking home into the left corner from just outside the edge of the area to give Boro’ a deserved lead on 20 minutes.

Treacher did well to chase down a long cross field pass on the left flank and deliver a decent cross which was cleared. Tom Hickey hit a low speculative shot through a tangle of defenders, which Grainger did well to gather diving to his right. Then ex Boro’ player, Michael Malcolm, came close with a shot from the left which shaved the post.

The home side replaced the yellow carded Hamblin with Wes Parker on the half hour and the Stones enjoyed ten minutes of pressure in an effort to draw level. Charlie Grainger did well to punch clear a corner from the left and then push away a further cross before blocking another shot with his body. Boro’ came back strongly and a Treacher cross from the left was inches too far for Page who was rather surprisingly ruled off-side.

Boro’ deservedly increased their lead in the 42nd minute when Matt Ball hit another unstoppable shot into the top left hand corner from around 25 yards.

Boro’ came close to a third goal just before the half ended when Page chased a through ball which looked to be bouncing too high for North who was rushing out of his goal, but the keeper just managed to clutch the ball at full stretch and tumbled on landing which led the Referee to penalise Page when there appeared to be little or no contact.

Half Time: Wealdstone 0-2 Farnborough

A good solid performance by Boro’ who fully deserved their lead.

The 2nd half got underway at 4.05 pm with Boro’ straight on the attack and when the Stones were awarded a free kick on the edge of the area, Jack Mills shot well over. Another long free kick was punched out by Grainger and the follow up shot was much too high.

When Matt Ball hit a hard low cross into the goalmouth the ball appeared to strike Page’s boot and fly over the bar from 5 yards out. The home side replaced Wright with O’Nien on 58 minutes and the persistence of Darryl Siaw won a corner for Boro’ which led to a booking for Malcolm when he fouled Webb.

Bennett, who had made a tireless contribution was replaced by new signing Adam Brice on 65 minutes and shortly afterwards, Page picked up a loose ball on the edge of the area and his accurate shot was blocked and cleared.

Fearn put Treacher away down the left and his cross shot just cleared the far post. Okenabirhie replaced Page on 72 minutes and Tumwa was booked for time wasting.

The home side were throwing players forward in an effort to reduce the arrears and the Boro’ defence was tested on a couple of occasions but held firm. McGleish wasted a good chance about 6 minutes from the end when he sliced his effort well wide of the target.

Boro’ were still pushing forward and Ball almost got his hat- trick on 87 minutes when having beaten the off-side trap he seemed to have slipped the ball under North, but the keeper just did enough to retrieve the situation. Ball was replaced in 88th minute to well deserved applause with Pearse taking his place.

The heavens opened with a vengeance just before the end and the home side got a consolation goal well into the added four minutes when McGleish managed to stab the ball home in a crowded goal mouth.

Full Time: Wealdstone 1-2 Farnborough

A very satisfactory result for Boro’ who had dominated for large parts of the game and the victory was more comfortable than the score suggests. Some very sound performances and a confident introduction for Adam Brice in the 25 minutes he was on the pitch. We can now look forward to hosting Basingstoke on Monday, with a good deal more confidence after this result.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Next up for Farnborough – Monday 25 August (KO 3pm), Basingstoke Town (home).

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: